Ok, so I am considering taking a bit of a breather from the racing next year as I felt a little overwhelmed last year. Tried to do too much my first season with next to no budget and a core crew not fully built yet. That said, if I am doing limited regattas next year, Class racing would take a priority.

My thoughts:
1. If we are choosing regattas to have a J/30 Class, they should be around the cans racing. Distance racing is fun, but it does not see as much head to head racing and opporunities for camraderie and/or shenanigans. Personally speaking, it feels more satisfying when delivering long distances to get 5 or 6 races than to put all my eggs in one big basket.

2. Consider the prevailing wind strength of the regattas we choose. On our boats the fun factor goes up exponentially with the wind speed; the 30s love the breeze. Because we are very "relaxed" on the class rules out here, moderate winds will also be the great equalizer as "turbo'd" boats tend to be focussed on light air speed.

I know it is about maximum travel distance for most, but I am going to say it anyways, SOAR in Squamish is about the best conditions you can hope for if you are talking J/30. It would be a RARE day if we see less than 10 kts. While technically a distance race, I have enough swing to get us round the cans racing. You also get a downwind sprint race in, and a windward beat home. PITCH might also be a good option, or J/fest would probably see the most boats. Does J/fest conflict with the 360?

3. We should consider the party atmosphere of the regatta. I hate to say it, but most of the regatta's in Vancouver proper are pretty tame (some even lame). It is the city, so everyone leaves after dinner to go do thier own thing. I haven't been to WAVES, but I strongly suspect it is the same. Maple Bay, Cow Bay WIRW, RIPS, SOAR all have good parties I believe and I think it is related to thier location; i.e. nothing else to do but party at the regatta. I have a lot easier time getting crew to commit to travel if they know it is going to be non-stop excitement both on and off the water.

4. O/D rules: we are pretty lax out here and let's keep it that way, but if we know a boat is turbo'd to the point of serious advantage, let's get creative. Maybe the obviously fast boat carries all the extra beer.

5. I am liking the prize that Bill put forward. Overall winner from the two regattas combined scoring. Off chance of a tie is resolved by a match race.