I found a lot of good info about props scattered about the site so I thought I would make a thread for all things prop.

I noticed this post from Mr. Christy:
Originally Posted by LChristy
During the recent sale of my boat the surveyor commented that the 14X14 prop that is class legal is the wrong prop for the boat. This has been confirmed by Bengt Johannson in discussions with Martec. With the current prop it is difficult to get the engine to 80% of max as encouraged by Yanmar. I believe this leads to carbon buildup in the cylinders. If the rings contract during the cold winter temps the carbon prevents them from returning to the cylinder walls. This can lead to cylinder damage. Happened to be about 10 years ago and had to have the engine rebuilt.

The J30 Class needs to look into this and see if a prop change is in order. Would help extend the life of your old engines.

Larry Christy
DA KINE (Sabreline 42)

Just wondering if Bengt made any recommendations as to what the proper prop would be? I think I am facing either a prop rebuild or replacement as mine is getting pretty floppy in the blades and they are tending to get stuck closed much more often.

If I am facing a replacement, I might look at a kiwi-prop. My slip-mate put one on his Santana 30/30 and he really likes it. He says the three blades make a huge difference to vibration levels. Does anyone have any experience on the J/30?