Originally Posted by Russ Atkinson
Vic it doesn't matter
Rule of thumb (even above 13-14 knots) assume weather helm = slow
depower the rig to achieve no or reduce load on helm.
check it out with your speedo or with one of your tune up partners
While your modified rudder is nice for reducing load on the helm, better for cruising perhaps, for racing, the original rudder design will tell you when to de-power, you can drive by feel

Actually we prefer to have the boat tell us how to trim into balance, not the tiller ... I know old school ... here is Michael of Belle Faster #537 appreciating a 15 minute no-hands-on-tiller run on a close haul windward for a return spin run a couple of weeks ago. "no hands" I think tops "two fingers"

I was trimming to the feel of the boat and hadn't noticed Michael was running hands off. Probably what we need is more trimmers that also have "feelings"

I drive 505 with the modified rudder about 6 months a year, but 526 still does have the old rudder which is a pain in the ass over 15 with waves, which are conditions that I think most challenging for an old guy.

I also think the modified rudder is helpful in spin runs to control roundups in over 20.

In light wind I find it more rewarding to take a nap, or let the gals and kids drive.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
eIMG-20111223-00124.jpg [57.82 KBytes] - (1111 downloads)
No hands close hauled