Well, last night it blew 16-18 kts and we put up the 140% cruising sail instead of the racing No1 but we were handily outpointing the Hotfoot 30 who had a blade up. Granted I was pinching a little to try and keep the boat flat, and my cruising sail is quite bagged out, but we were still doing 6+ kts upwind. We improved our regular finishing spot despite a less than average start for a respectable 4th position. Boats we beat all have longer waterlines (Hotfoot 30, Spencer 34, Crown 34, Santana 30/30, Wylie 34) which feels good because of the wavy conditions we get with bigger winds. The big winds also allowed us to hold off the competition downwind as the increased pressure allowed us to sail deeper angles. The 34 footers I race against are all mast head rigs and sail straight downwind almost all the time. The gain on the fleet was achieved entirely on the first beat. One issue is that we will likely have to shorten the backstay a little. It took quite a bit of travel before things started to have an effect. A promising start to the new rig tune. Hopefully better results will be coming with our regular 8-10 kts westerly where we can use our proper No1.

Dominique Labrosse
Red Five, #92