Greetings,
A number of potential rule change have been drafted for consideration during the upcoming Borad of Governors meeting which will be held on Oct 18 in New Orleans. Below is the listing for your consideration. Please get back to me with any strong opinions on any of the items so that I can make sure I understand your concerns before I issue my vote. As it stands, I have no objections with any of the changes as presented, and favor Case 2 in the advertising question.

Thanks,
Mark Rotsky

Detailed changes by paragraph - Changed wording annotated as italicized bold text

Paragraph 5.4.1.11 rules - existing
5.4.1.11 Removal of the Jib Tack Horns and replacing them with a single shackle attached to existing hole of bow fitting.

Paragraph 5.4.1.11 rules - proposed
5.4.1.11 Removal of the Jib Tack Horns and replacing them with up to two shackles attached to existing hole of bow fitting.
Paragraph 5.7.4.4 rules - new rule proposed
5.7.4.4 Use of the Rig-Rite Stainless Steel Jib Box Assembly: K-10658 (supplied as original equipment on earlier masts) or Aluminum Jib Box Assembly: K-11597-1 (supplied as original equipment on later masts) is authorized. The intersection point of the forestay fair extension and the mast front face shall be the same height and forward extension from the mast face so that the position of the headstay measurement point is identical in accordance with rule 5.2.8.1 and the J/30 Mast Specification standard drawing provided in the class rules "J/30 Basic Specifications" section.
Paragraph 6.9.2 rules - existing
6.9.2 The North American Championship shall consist of a maximum of seven (7) races.

Paragraph 6.9.2 rules - proposed
6.9.2 Deleted

Note: Although not part of the class rules, a set of guidelines for organizing the North American Championship have been issued on the J/30 Forum and will be updated to state:

1. The regatta is sailed over three days - typically Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The organizing committee should include in race documents a schedule that lists the latest time a race may be started each day so that events planned after racing may be scheduled, and provide race organizers maximum flexibility to run races each day as allowed by the weather conditions. For specific J/30 Class Rule information, refer to http://j30.org and select "Class", "By-laws, Rules, Specifications" from the menu.

A vote will be taken so the rules reflect either Case 1 (Advertising Allowed), or Case 2 (Advertising Restricted). Advertising restricted is basically the same as current J/30 class rules. This link is the ISAF Regulation 20 reference.

Case 1 - Advertising Allowed:
No changes required in class rules. Advertising becomes permissive on 1 January 2013 when the ISAF transitional period expires on 31 December 2012.

Case 2 - Advertising Restricted (similar to current rules):
The following paragraphs are added at the end of the Class Rules:

6.10 Advertising

6.10.1 Class rules prohibit the display of advertising, except as may be required by the Organizing Authority for class events in accordance with ISAF regulation 20.4.1.

6.10.2 Manufacturer's and Sailmaker's marks shall always be permitted in accordance with ISAF regulation 20.7

Mark Rotsky
Nemesis 435