So OK ...
1. reset the step to 25mm [marina mechanic under my 'supervision' ... remember there are not a lot of people who have a hint as to what moving a mast step is in a power boat community ... nice thing about j30 people is we have to know what we are looking to do ... duh only took me 27 years to get to this one. ]

2. quick soda blast, prime and paint ... base looks new.

3. took the forestay out 3in. from where it was -- to a measured length of ~35'8, which pins to the stem 2 in. above the measurement point ... so I am probably a half inch under max 35' 10.5". [It is easier to measure center pin to center pin when off boat. Have 2 treads showing in turnbuckle so didn't get much room to go much beyond.]

4. mast max aft in partners ... measures to 11' 6"

5. tightened starting innners, then outers, then inners loos ~30 ...mast is way straighter than ever has been with a tiny bit of pre bend, minimal backstay tension -- not flopping loose.

6. Tension on roller furling appears to be adequate to avoid foil whip lash ... and tighter than before.

7. will test tomorrow, then regatta against known phrf competitors this weekend.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
eIMG_0714.jpg [51.83 KBytes] - (1414 downloads)
Alignment prior to measurement of mast step J30.
eIMG_0718.jpg [41.47 KBytes] - (1892 downloads)
Max forward step position J30.