It has been a busy couple of days here in my boatyard. I have been getting lots of fiberglass on the hull and am starting to think through how to get some of the coming steps done. But I wanted to get another video together to show how I have gone about this part of the process. No doubt there are lots of ways to do this kind of crazy work, but I haven't seen anyone else actually doing an entire hull. You can find lots of information about doing core work on decks and there have been many J30 guys that have done area repairs, but I don't think I have seen anyone that has actually gone after the entire wet area of the hull below the waterline.

I really think of this boat the same way guys that restore old cars would look at their project. A little intimidating at times, overwhelming sometimes and then sometimes the whole thing reminds me of making sausage. A little ugly, but the end result should be worth the effort.

To that end the video I shot for this segment shows what might look like some ugly glass work. But that is in part the result of doing this work overhead and it shows the glass before it got sanded out, so don't get too excited yet. Also, there are many light spots you see that you might think are bubbles or poor bonding. In fact it is the result of using some Interlux Watertite Epoxy Filler that is light blue color. While most of the filling I have done is with West products I wanted to use something that was more like Bondo in the way it applied and was mixed. This filler is nice because it is stable as soon as it is mixed and it cures fairly quickly, but is easily worked.

So go get a beer or something much stiffer and you can see how I have been doing this work.

I will add some new images of the pretty work from today as soon as my computer gets rebooted.

Also I apologize for the low audio level at the tail end of this, I found out after the fact that it was the computer mic and not the stand mic that actually got used for the voice over section. Maybe someday I will figure this stuff out, or not.

Last edited by Coastie; 05/04/18 11:25 PM.

Dave Graf