Since I started this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to let everyone know what the decision was. I want to thank everyone who weighed in, plus the other good discussions on cross sheeting, etc.

I corresponded with Benz Faget in New Orleans and my local North Sails rep in RI, Henry Little. Henry spoke with Benz at the North annual sales meeting and was able to work out the transfer of information so I can work through the local North loft in Portsmouth, RI. I've bit the bullet and am getting a new main, #1 and spinnaker (Merry Christmas!!!). The #1 will be a Kevlar Tri-Radial. I couldn't justify the added expense of 3DL, and they still need to transfer Benz's design to 3DL. Henry explained that the entire computer controlled mold used in the 3DL process is tied up if it is making a small sail or a large sail, thus the sailmaker would prefer to keep the machine busy making larger sails where they get a better return on use of the equipment. The 3DL premium cost on our "small" J/30 sails is effectively paying for the unused portion of the mold that is tied up during the construction of a smaller sail. Another interesting point was that the 3dr process is temporarily on hold while they update software for the 3dr machine in Toronto. Henry explained that this was a huge capital investment by North and they want to make sure it is producing the designs correctly. I suspect that the same pricing analogy for 3dr sails would apply for J/30 designs once this process is up and running again - we'll see.

Henry is going to cleanup Benz's tuning guide and make it available on the North Sails web site, along with the ability to order Benz's "special sauce" sails. I'm not sure what the timing is for all this, but I would suspect that by the spring, this will be available for all the J/30 sailors to take advantage of.

For Benz - if you are reading this forum I'd like to thank you for sharing your designs. You've had great accomplishments with Team Zephyr and have been a positive influence to the J/30 fleet. I want to buy you a beer or two next time we sail in an event together.

For the rest of the J/30 sailors - look at David Bows call for boats at the NOOD Regatta in Marblehead 26-29 July 2007. We're hoping to get a good turnout and I want to try out my new sails there!

Happy Holidays to Everyone,
Bill - Rhapsody J/30 #348

[This message has been edited by whk (edited 12-22-2006).]