In my experience, PHRF hasn't readjusted when our class has made minor tweaks in allowed equipment recently (i.e. carbon pole, aramid headsails..). Have others seen a rating adjustment for the loosened restriction on sailcloth and pole material?

I don't see the point in allowing the 1/2 oz but not allowing both to be used at OD events. We don't require that everyone race with the same headsail during a given race-if we have a choice of chutes as part of a tactical decision, why restrict? Additionally, this would seem to be a burdensome restriction if the half were selected and winds kicked way up during a race-just as we can change the headsail down to a 3, I would think it wise to have the choice/option to change the chute up to the 3/4.

I will say that I carried a half oz racing phrf some years ago (before I figured out that the boat had to be in full one design config for the rating we had)-it made a significant performance difference in light conditions, making light air races both more competitive and more fun to sail (fewer moments of "droopy chute" syndrome, deeper angles and faster downwind legs). Light air racing (such as we often have in NJ, LIS and Annapolis) would be more enjoyable with the extra sail selection.

I would only favor this rule change if the restriction on sail selection was removed.

Steve Buzbee
Blue Meanie J/30 #485