I think the issue of increased cost of ownership by introducing a 1/2 oz chute is a bit of a red herring. First of all, many changes in our OD rules over the years have had significant cost implications-carbon pole, multi part mainsheets, high tech halyards, self tacking traveler assemblies and aramid headsails come to mind-but offered no improvement in the OD performance of the fleet. These changes were allowed to enhance general sailing performance and (I believe) to enhance the competitiveness of the boat in PHRF fleets-which in turn gives an extra boost to resale value. The 1/2 oz chute would have much the same effect.

Second of all (as I believe I have said before in other threads) the cost impact could be made a non-issue by limiting the number of new sails purchased per boat to four per season. Owners could then prioritize sails most in need of replacement, without fear that they could be priced out of being fully competitive . The addition of the 1/2 oz would lengthen the lifespan of the 3/4, making a biannual replacement for each a reasonable option without sacrificing performance.

Steve Buzbee
Blue Meanie J/30 #485