Four sails per season?

Hello owners,
This is my first post on the site and my question is regarding the size limitations of the #3.

It appears the current rule changes on the slate are in the spirit of keeping costs to a minimum for the owners hence the overall disapproval with the spin cloth weight change. I do agree with keeping the current .75 weight while using a .5 spin would be great in the light stuff and PHRF I feel we can get by with a .75 if wind minimums are observed.

What I would like to throw out there is changing the rules regarding the limitations on the #3. Now that carrying a #2 is not mandatory it makes sense (at least to me but I maybe wrong) to change the rules so that we can use a full hoist/ max area #3. I feel the change will make for a sail that is much more versatile, that can reasonably bridge the gap from 1 to 3, nearly eliminate the need for a #2 and help preserve our #1's.

I have witnessed in past OD events most competitors taking their #1 way past its limits and ragging mains because the rules do not allow for a #3 with enough juice (myself included). Considering that high-tech materials have been recently allowed a larger three should have more range than a smaller Dacron 3 (which I am guessing the #3 rule was written for or sized around the #2). I personally would like to have #3 I can use in reasonable conditions I feel the cost justify the means.

Just an observation what are your thoughts?

J/30 #470

Tom Bobbin