I can certainly say I've given an emotional appeal. As well,I've attempted to argue for logic. Please see a portion of my e-mail string with my sail maker Skip Dieball (if you aren't familiar with who Skip is you can Google him for further reference). This string won't settle any arguements but will add additional "facts" to supplement those from my 10/30/09 posting on this forum topic.
I'm sure those that are in favor of staying with Dacron can find thier justification in Skip's comments.

From: Russ Atkinson [mailto:ratkinson@ellisontechnologies.com]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 12:02 PM
To: Skip Dieball
Subject: Main sail material

Thanks for the input.
A few years back, in your work with the T10 fleet you were not in favor of allowing high tech mains.
Would you have that same view for the J/30. And if so, should I be going back to Dacron on wildcat?
Also, why is it more important in the head sail then in the main?
Russ

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2009 1:05 PM
To: Russ Atkinson
Subject: FW:

I'm mixed on the "requirement" of specifying material. Clearly the J/30 enjoys the aramid sail. When the class looks at factors that impact participation they often look to sail inventory in keeping the costs down. The unfortunate thing is that Poly/Dacron/Pentex all have come up considerably in price. They still have a better ultimate life, but the performance life is about the same. At some point the T10s will go aramid in the mains strictly due to costs being close to the same, not to mention that string sails are coming down in price as that technology is further developed.

The little jibs in the T10 and J105s need to go through a large range. Both classes have A/P jibs, meaning they go from 0-30 knots. With that in mind, you have to have an extremely straight back end of the sail and low stretch through the range. That is primarily why the Aramid works so well in the jibs. The argument could be made for genoas and mainsails as well, but with longer, stiffer battens in the main, the Dacron does a good job and is relatively responsive to halyard and Cunningham to open the leech too.

Hope this helps. - Skip