Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,225 Dacron Main
162,648 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting #11675
05/11/11 02:18 PM
05/11/11 02:18 PM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
While our Class Association Rules and Specs are extensive, the By-Laws are quite simple. They grant the authority to call a meeting to change the rules to a Board of Governors consisting of the President, District Governors, Chief Measurer, J/Boats Representative, Immediate Past President, and up to three At-Large Members (of which I am currently one).

Fleets, with a minimum of three full association members, may organize within each geographic District. As a practical matter Fleets and Districts have been treated as one and the same. As of this week there were 61 paid J/30 Class Association Members, broken down below by District, number of members, and % of total membership:

A. Northern New England -- 5 (8%)
B. Southern New England -- 6 (10%)
C. Long Island Sound -- 7 (11%)
D. Chesapeake -- 15 (25%)
E. Carolina's -- 3 (5%)
F. Southeast -- 3 (5%)
G. Gulf Coast -- 6 (10%)
H. California -- 2 (3%)
I. Pacific Northwest -- 4 (7%)
J. Western Great Lakes -- 4 (7%)
K. Eastern Great Lakes -- 4 (7%)
International -- 1 (2%)
Other -- 1 (2%)

The By-Laws do not indicate what makes a quorum or how many votes are required to pass a change; typically a majority of those attending a Board of Governors meeting has ruled. If each District is represented and shared positions receive a single vote, there is the possibility of 18 votes.

I am concerned that my District, which has more than twice as many members as the next largest District and races primarily or exclusively one-design could be out-voted by Districts that have few members and rarely or never races one-design.

As such I feel it is time to consider changing the Class By-Laws to:
  1. Reorganize from the current eleven Districts into a smaller number of geographic units,
  2. Define Fleets as those that contain the minimum of three members actively sailing one-design,
  3. Vote either by Fleet or directly by class member,
  4. Set a quorum, and
  5. Require a two-thirds majority of those voting to make a change.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11677
05/11/11 05:01 PM
05/11/11 05:01 PM
Rockwood, MI, USA
Russ Atkinson Offline
Russ Atkinson  Offline
Rockwood, MI, USA
Interesting...
If representing the J/30 communitiy is measured by who has the most paid J/30 Association members then Bob's method is a way to re-district the organization. Perhaps too, Bob could suggest that Congress be re-districted and inclusive of only those that voted in the last election
I submit another perspective
I might have missed a couple when I counted but I came up with about 460 J/30's in the fleet data base.
If that number is correct then dues paying members, at 61, represent only 13.3% of the total J/30 communitiy. Re-distircting around only the dues paying one-design sailors would then make the representation of the whole even less than 13% (that assumes that not all the dues paying members race one design).
WOW!
I'm thinking that a progressive, inclusive BOG (including at-large) member would be asking - what can I do, what changes can I bring that would make the J/30 community want to join the J/30 Class Association.

To that end, I'd be willing to bet that of the dues paying members, the majority race more PHRF than they do one-design events.
And if I'm correct - then why isn't the board asking what they can do to make PHRF and one-design more compatable

Here's a challenge to the board. Why not poll the 400 identified non-paying members and ask what it would take to get them to join. BTW, I'm not a dues paying member - but most who have read my comments on String sails know why.

Here's another suggestion - how about making another district called the Lake Erie/St.Clair District. Currently we can be represented by the Eastern Great lakes District - kind of headquatered in lake Ontario or the Western Great Lakes District - which is for the boats on Lake Michigan. If there is ever going to be any one-design racing done by the Lake Erie/Lake St. Clair boats my guess is it will be done in Lake Erie not Lake Ontario or Michigan. How about giving us our own district? I'd even pay dues and volunteer to be the representative

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11678
05/11/11 07:26 PM
05/11/11 07:26 PM
Squamish, British Columbia
NaturalHigh Offline
NaturalHigh  Offline
Squamish, British Columbia
I would say that each rep gets a number of votes based on the number of members in its district. For example, if each rep got one vote per 3 class members (with a minimum of one vote per rep).

I don't support your point #2, as I pay my dues to support the class, but don't have the opportunity to race OD. I pay my cash so I would expect to be represented even though I don't OD. I became a class member this year as I still directly benefit from the class (this website for example; good websites aren't free) It is important to be able to attract members like me who are not necessarily racing OD to present a more holistic view of the vessels' use and to support the services this class provides.

I do agree that a quorum should be met, but this should be a minimum number of votes represented, not just warm bodies in the room (or on the phone).

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11682
05/12/11 11:00 AM
05/12/11 11:00 AM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
Fair points, though declining to join the Class Association in protest is not the same as lack of interest. Ranking the fleets by possible members may be somewhat inaccurate considering multiple owners and data lag with boats changing hands.

District, Members (rank), Posible Members (rank):
D. Chesapeake -- 15 (1), 67 (1)
C. Long Island Sound -- 7 (2), 59 (2)
I. Pacific Northwest -- 4 (6), 58 (3)
G. Gulf Coast -- 6 (3), 54 (4)
A. Northern New England -- 5 (5), 50 (5)
B. Southern New England -- 6 (3), 44 (6)
J. Western Great Lakes -- 4 (6), 36 (7)
K. Eastern Great Lakes -- 4 (6), 36 (7)
Other -- 1 (12), 30 (9)
H. California -- 2 (11), 26 (10)
International -- 1 (12), 16 (11)
F. Southeast -- 3 (9), 13 (12)
E. Carolina's -- 3 (9), 7 (13)
Total -- 61, 496

(Note: this counts names from the public class membership roles, not boats.)

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11683
05/12/11 11:45 AM
05/12/11 11:45 AM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
Providing resources for boat owners may be reason enough for some to support the Class Association. I'm looking for more--support for one-design racing in active fleets. The Class has this in Annapolis, nearly so at Cedar Point and in New Orleans. There's probably scant hope of reaching critical mass (which I define as ten boats) anywhere else, anytime soon, but it is not out of the question. I foresee the possibility that if the current mainsail proposal passes, those in the Annapolis would not conform, which I believe would be detrimental to both my Fleet and the Class.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11684
05/12/11 01:42 PM
05/12/11 01:42 PM
Rockwood, MI, USA
Russ Atkinson Offline
Russ Atkinson  Offline
Rockwood, MI, USA
It was pretty obvious yestereday but I didn't want to call you out. But since you've acknowledged it... let's be honest. It appears that you want to change the way the Class BOG voting is done because you think the Class might vote to change the rule on mainsail material. One could conclude that you want to change the way the voting is done so that the votes are skewed toward the OD sailors and that would hopefully lead to voitng down a mainsail material change. OK - I get it.

I won't comment on the mainsail but I'll restate my point yesterday. There are about 460 J/30's registered and even of the 61 paid Associations, most do much more PHRF racing then OD. Do a poll if you don't beleive but one can figure that out from just reading the comments from the BOG members about activity. By example, one of the New England districts can't do level racing at an OD event because too many of the boats are modified to race PHRF - I'd have that same problem on Lake Erie
In my opinion, if you want to grow OD, make the OD relevent to the PHRF racers and give them a reason to join - Don't exclued/INCLUDE!

Regarding your comment "that if the current mainsail proposal passes those in Annapolis would not confirm"; I'm sorry but i don't follow the logic. If the rule gets changed, you would not be obligated to buy string sails. Dacron would be legal. You and your fleet could continue to sail with Dacron. Wasn't it someone from your fleet that said something about "one bad tack"?

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Russ Atkinson] #11686
05/12/11 03:57 PM
05/12/11 03:57 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Online content
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Online Content
Portsmouth, RI
Back to the original topic on how the rules can be changed. The class rules state that unless we modify rule 1.7 first, the procedure for taking a vote is etched in stone.

1.7 These Class Rules may be amended, altered, added to, or repealed by a majority of the members of the Board of Governors present and voting at a meeting called for such purpose on at least 30 days notice. A quorum shall consist of 40% of the Governors who were serving at the time of the notice, and no action shall be taken without a quorum.

Thus - if the BOG proposed a change to rule 1.7, voted the change per the existing rules, then once the change took effect the modified method of voting could be used.

Procedurally, we have adapted the following methods to obtain the required BOG quorum in a number of ways including:
1. Face to face meeting augmented with people on the phone (e.g. the meeting held annually at the NAs)
2. A scheduled meeting via telecon
3. Email votes
4. Votes cast on the Board of Governors section in the forum.

Basically - we have no problem obtaining the 40% quorom needed in order to properly vote on a proposed rules change.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11688
05/12/11 04:34 PM
05/12/11 04:34 PM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
By that I mean the Annapolis fleet would more than likely choose to restrict local one-design events to Dacron mainsails only.

Then, if a fleet member wanted to mount a challenge for the 2012 NA's New Orleans (or whenever the new rule takes effect) they'd look to get a $4899 laminated mainsail I posted on the other thread.

(For those who haven't been following this debate at home, I'll provide a simple example: Russ could have ordered a Dacron mainsail last fall at boat show prices for $2389 so he could sail in the 2011 NA's in Annapolis. If the rules change, Bob will have to decide whether to spend more than twice that much for a laminated mainsail in order to be competetive at the 2012 NA's in New Orleans.)

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11689
05/12/11 04:41 PM
05/12/11 04:41 PM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
As Bill notes above I was mistaken--the quorum requirement and majority vote are in the Rules, not in the the By-Laws.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11690
05/12/11 05:58 PM
05/12/11 05:58 PM
Bainbridge Island, WA
JBro Offline
JBro  Offline
Bainbridge Island, WA
This is a fascinating thread! Since it's two topics munged, I'll try to break out separately below. I also will add that I really appreciate all of the viewpoints - this spirited discussion is a sign of thoughtful, invested owners which is healthy for the boat in general. So, please take my comments as they are intended - constructive.

Voting: I think it's fair to say that all owners' votes should be counted as an owner group. And, that could be part of the problem here. To think of this community as a OD racing group is fair and understandable yet I believe the assertion above is that assuming that OD is everyone's reality is shortsighted (to which I agree - mostly). To fracture into a OD and "all the rest" only serves to hurt the total community. One could argue that for OD racing rules that a due-paying member deserves to have more say with regard to OD rules. But, to exclude other owners only serves to keep OD small and easily controlled by a small group.

Disclosure: I always prefer OD but it's not realistic to expect it here in the PNW. I'm not current on my dues and should be - will take care of it. I support and advocate a change to allow string sails for all OD events.

Sails: the figures quoted above are for one vendor and are (from what I've seen here and researched myself) the largest disparity. As such, I don't think it's a completely balanced portrayal of the discussion. Just MHO.

I've heard it argued by both owners and sailmakers that there is no significant performance difference between dac and string. People have said that "one bad tack" or a poor start/tactical decision can unravel any advantage to strings to which I agree. It's also been discussed that the string sails could be made to a spec that erases any perceived weight aloft advantages.

So, I don't see what the issue is. Buy dacron and prove the point that there's no advantage (and smile at the dollars saved!). Or, buy the most expensive sails allowed and hope you don't look foolish finishing in the middle of the fleet.

My point (i think) is that freedom of choice expands the community and likely gets more folks involved. Restriction of options shrinks the addressable market. In this economy and at a time where more and more boats are being built more cheaply and offer a compelling value to others, I don't think that's smart but that's just me.

An interesting (but admittedly non-scientific) consideration is that most of the folks in favor of changing this rule are a.) relatively new (or at least newly vocal) owners and b.) not in a specific location but sprinkled elsewhere across the country. Maybe this means it's an opportunity to expand reach and involvement?

I'll wrap with a very real example:
As soon as I have 2 fewer kids in diapers than I do now, I'll be racing more. I bought a great used sail (remember Bob? It's one of your UKs ;-) that will serve until then and even make a great weeknight/practice main. However, I plan to buy lam/string sails because I prefer them (I believe they are competitive longer, I like trimming them better, I believe - accurate or not - that I sail better with them, etc.). Since I'll do that, attending a NAs is a non-starter for me. Bummer. If I could bring and use those sails, it's at least an OPTION. As an owner, it's a little sad to me that I can't even consider it because I'm not also going to buy a second main.

Put more bluntly: "hey honey - let's do the NAs this coming year! They're in New Orleans, we could take the family, escape our crappy weather, and have a fun and different kind of vacation adventure!"
OR: "hey - heard NAs are in New Orleans this year. That would be awesome... But, the only main I have that's legal is from 2004. So... how about we go back to Maui?" ;-)

From my perspective, I just see this as a clear choice to expand the community and evolve in a way that makes OD more inclusive and provides a chance for others to play.

Bob: I want to add that you have done a great deal over the years to contribute to making the fleet great. When we talked right after I bought #426, you spent a ton of time on the phone with me sharing experiences and knowledge which I greatly appreciate. I'm a strong supporter of OD integrity as I know you are. But, this is a topic that for more is beyond dacron and string and a chance to make the community of active owners (and racers!) bigger which benefits us all.

Phew. Sorry for the long mail. Hopefully it contributes constructively to the dialog.

Cheers, Jeff

- Jeff
J/30 #426 - Watusi
Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: JBro] #11693
05/13/11 09:23 AM
05/13/11 09:23 AM
Hyannis, MA
bmdoyle Offline
bmdoyle  Offline
Hyannis, MA
I too have been following the above conversations with much interest, particularly because I am in need of new sails but don't yet want to buy them until I know which direction the class is going to go.

I think a subtle point should be made more bluntly: it doesn't matter what the class decides for OD, the non-OD owners are going to do (and buy) what they want anyway.

The class has OD rules. To race OD, you follow the rules, whatever they may be. The intent of OD rules isn't to put the "fastest" configuration of the boat on the water (although perhaps it should be), just that all the boats are the "same."

Of course, by that logic, the class could designate burlap as the preferred sail materail. I'm sure you could get a new burlap main for less than $300.

The guys who only race PHRF aren't going to care much about this thread, they are going to buy the sails that they want and that'll be the end of it. The guys who only race OD also shouldn't care (although I'm sure they do). The OD rules will be what they'll be. Sometimes a change is made, and you'll have to adapt.

The people who have a dog in this fight are the ones who will race mostly PHRF with an occasional OD event here and there. The issue is that a mostly PHRF racer doesn't want to have to buy a dacron main just for the occassional OD event.

In my opinion, the only question that actually matters is: Do string sails afford a competitive advantage in any given race?

If the answer is "yes" then a decision must be made and we'll all have to live with it. If you want to influence the vote, step up and volunteer for the Board of Governors. If you are on the Board of Governors and the vote went against you, well that's just the way it is. Ain't democracy grand?

If the answer is "no," then it seems like this is all academic. Let people use whatever sail they want. For me, I'm trying to retrofit a wing but am having balance problems once I get over 20 knots and pop up on plane. Perhaps some restrictions would be wise.

There are, of course, the "long term" arguments that string sails, over their life, are more competitve than dacron, of its life. Perhaps the rule should be: all materials are allowed. Dacron can be replaced every two years, string sails every four years (or something to that effect). Personally, I don't have the resources to afford new sails every 10 years, but I'll make due.

The larger point I'm trying to make is that there is a natural ebb and flow to every class. To best promote critical mass, the class should be as cheap as possible to enter. To best promote the most competitive sailing, the class should be allowed to use the best technology. A balance must be struck between the two and I am confident that the Board of Governors, who have thanklessley volunteered their time to promote the class, will make a thoughtful decision in the best interest of the class as a whole.

Cheers and happy sailing.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: bmdoyle] #11696
05/13/11 11:59 AM
05/13/11 11:59 AM
Bainbridge Island, WA
JBro Offline
JBro  Offline
Bainbridge Island, WA
Originally Posted by bmdoyle
The larger point I'm trying to make is that there is a natural ebb and flow to every class. To best promote critical mass, the class should be as cheap as possible to enter. To best promote the most competitive sailing, the class should be allowed to use the best technology. A balance must be struck between the two and I am confident that the Board of Governors, who have thanklessley volunteered their time to promote the class, will make a thoughtful decision in the best interest of the class as a whole.

Well said! Particularly with regard to the thankless volunteering and efforts to promote the class. I could not agree more!

Regardless of the BoG decision on this matter, the boat, class, and people are all key reasons why I'm a very happy and fortunate owner!

Cheers,
- Jeff

- Jeff
J/30 #426 - Watusi
Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: JBro] #11699
05/13/11 12:59 PM
05/13/11 12:59 PM
Bainbridge Island, WA
JBro Offline
JBro  Offline
Bainbridge Island, WA
Originally Posted by JBro
...I'm not current on my dues and should be - will take care of it.

Done.

- Jeff
J/30 #426 - Watusi
Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11703
05/13/11 04:03 PM
05/13/11 04:03 PM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline OP
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline OP
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
Glad to have a few more points of view in this discussion, though I'll try to stick to voting here. Expanding on the last paragraph of my post in the White Main OD thread the J/105 Class Constitution charters Fleets of 3 or more boats in one location then grants a seat on their Executive Committee and a vote to 'Voting Fleets' with at least 10 members. This is consistent with my belief that ten is the number needed for one-design critical mass. 'Voting Fleets' earn one vote for every complete multiple of ten boats. Their ExecComm has four officers, six fleet reps (five with 2 votes), Past President, J/Boats rep, plus three At-Large reps so 15 members with 20 votes.

Overkill for us I realize, but I like that it puts decision in the hands of those representing active fleets. Maybe a number from four to six boats would work.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11704
05/13/11 10:34 PM
05/13/11 10:34 PM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline
Cap'n Vic  Offline
Newport and Naples
I wonder if we have a more basic discussion to address here: Is this class association all about racing OD?

And is this proposal to change the voting system just a selfserving plan to keep class decisions in the contol of the limited number of orthodox ODers?

I see no reason to change the current voting rules.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Cap'n Vic] #11715
05/15/11 01:18 PM
05/15/11 01:18 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Portsmouth, RI
Originally Posted by Cap'n Vic
I wonder if we have a more basic discussion to address here: Is this class association all about racing OD?

You can draw your own conclusions from the By-laws and Class Rules - excerpts pasted below with emphasis provided by me.

Bylaws...
I. The Class Association shall be governed by a Board of Governors. The Board of Governors shall have the authority, at a meeting called for such purpose, to amend, alter, add to, or repeal the Class Rules and One-Design Specifications....

Class Rules...
Notice to Owners and Sailmakers
It is impossible to foresee every conceivable innovation which may be thought of in the future and to mention every suggestion that has been ruled illegal in the past. When considering anything in connection with the boat or sails or equipment which is not within established practice in the J/30 Class or is not clearly covered by the plans or specifications, you must assume that it is illegal, and must obtain a ruling from the Chief Measurer before attempting it.

Rules and Specifications
The following rules and specifications shall govern J/30 events until modified, altered, added to, or repealed by the J/30 Class Association Board of Governors, effective 4/1/2009.

J/30 events include all J/30 one-design races. One-design racing is defined as races with a J/30 start or races which score J/30s separately. A boat conforming to these rules should rate as a J/30 under performance or measurement handicapping systems.

Where specifically permitted in these rules, local fleets and organizers of a J/30 one-design event or series may adopt modifications, exceptions and additions to these rules which shall apply to local racing only.

1. One Design

1.1 The J/30 is a one-design class, created to fulfill the diverse needs of recreational sailors such as cruising, one-design racing, day sailing, handicap and offshore racing. These rules are intended to preserve important design characteristics: ease of handling, low cost of ownership, safety and comfort.

1.2 It is the intent of the J/30 Class Association and J/Boats, Inc. to maintain the one-design performance characteristics of the J/30 To this end, any substantive change that alters the weight, distribution of weight, shape or performance of the hull, rig or underwater appendages shall be submitted by J/Boats, Inc. to the J/30 Board of Governors for approval prior to implementation.

1.3 Except where variations are specifically permitted, yachts of this Class shall be alike in hull, deck and keel form, construction, weight and weight distribution, shape of rudder, sail plan and equipment. All boats shall be built in accordance with the plans, specifications and these class rules. No alternatives or modifications are permitted unless explicitly stated in these rules or on the official plans or building specifications.

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Bob Rutsch] #11718
05/16/11 10:54 AM
05/16/11 10:54 AM
Rockwood, MI, USA
Russ Atkinson Offline
Russ Atkinson  Offline
Rockwood, MI, USA
Thanks Bill. You've done a great job of making the point of the purpose of the J/30 Class Association. And further, I think even the application for joining the association states something about promoting J/30 One Design events.

And there in lies my issue with the main sail and with the proposed change in the voting. It is my belief that the majority of the owners of J/30's don't have the opportunity to race OD. It's not ease for the majority of J/30 owners to do an OD race. We can't just go out on a Wednesday night and have 3-10 j/30's show up. We have to travel long distances to participate in OD races.
On Lake Erie, in several years of trying - we have not yet been able to put 4 J/30's on the same starting line.
For the past several years, I have been invited to do the Verve Cup in Chicago - with the promise that there will be a fleet of J/30's, enough to have our own start. If memory serves, in the last two years there was only 1 local J/30 in the race + one boat from New Orleans. Dell Todd reported to me that the j/30's on Lake Michigan are scattered from west Michigan to north of Chicago. This year the Western Great Lakes District wants to try to do a Levels racing event and will invite the S2 9.1's in order to have enough boats
Reading other District news, one of the New England districts wants to do OD events but can't do level racing because too many of the boats are PHRF modified and thus the race will have to be handicapped

There are only a few pockets remaining where true one design racing takes place on a regular basis. And to those areas and boaters that pull it off - I say congrats. I wish we could accomplish that here in Lake Erie.

My point though is this. Most J/30's that race race mostly PHRF. Even most racing J/30's that want to do or get to do OD still race mostly PHRF.
Bob Rutsch is quite obviously a great spokesman for OD racing and as he states - that's all he does. I'm guessing though that he represents a small minority.

I propose two things
1. Change the rule on the main to allow string sails so that the OD configuration is compatible with the majority of J/30 racers that race PHRF and may want to do OD racing.
2. Don't change the voting rule to skew it towards the few that only race OD. Keep the rule so that it is inclusive of the PHRF racers.

In conclusion; a lot has changed in the 30+ years since the boat was designed and the OD rules were implemented. To the BOG - Look at the OD fleets; look at the districts; look around at what's changing and what has already changed. Then ask yourselves this; there are over 400 J/30's identified in our fleet - what can the association do to be inclusive of that fleet? Would it really be benificial to be more exclusive in the voting?
One of the biggest problems with doing OD events is getting boats to the events and the cost of travel. So, make loaner boats available, help find inexpensive lodging and do everything possible to contact the active PHRF sailors to come join the fun.

Since the association is all about 1 Design then I ask this. How many times have the individual BOG members reached out to individuals in their district fleets to find out what it would take to get the boat owners to participate in an OD event

from the Peanut Gallary

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Russ Atkinson] #11721
05/16/11 04:19 PM
05/16/11 04:19 PM
Rockwood, MI, USA
Russ Atkinson Offline
Russ Atkinson  Offline
Rockwood, MI, USA
In fairness and to make sure I am not bending facts - I received an e-mail from the Northern New England District that they are doing OD racing using PHRF handicaps in an attempt to encourage the PHRF modified boats to partake in OD events, not because they don't have enough boats participating in OD.
Sorry for mis stating what is happening and CONGRATS for the efforts to pull boats into OD racing!

Re: By-Laws, Districts, Fleets and Voting [Re: Russ Atkinson] #11722
05/16/11 04:34 PM
05/16/11 04:34 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Portsmouth, RI
In SNE we reached out and asked any boat that is not OD compliant to ask the measurer if they can race in local OD events "as-is" with no PHRF adjustments. Two boats indicated they will race with the OD fleet as a result of it. No time corrections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  LChristy 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM