Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,298 Dacron Main
162,662 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Changing mast foot blocks #13598
06/07/12 04:43 PM
06/07/12 04:43 PM
Québec City, Canada
nemonaute Offline OP
nemonaute  Offline OP
Québec City, Canada
Hello,

I would like to change the mast foot blocks (pulleys) of my J30.

Currently there is old (original) mast foot blocks on the bottom of the mast. There are blocks for metallic cable (steel wire cable), there are "V" shapped. But the halyard are currently ropes, not metallic cable.
As a consequence, the blocks are not good for the current halyard, this make more rubbing and will wear out ropes faster.

Moreover, I want all tunings (settings) return to the cockpit :
reef one, reef two, main halyard, genoa halyard 1, genoa halyard 2, spinnaker halyard, spinnaker pole downhaul, spinnaker pole uphaul, main pole downhaul...
To do that, I need a lot of mast foot blocks. And I would like some good blocks like Harken blocks.

Consequently, I am thinking of changing the old mast foot blocks.

I think of 2 possible solution :
1- put it on the mast
2- put it on the deck

On the mast, I need rivets and the tool to put rivets (I don't have it but it con be borrowed) ..but it will weaken the mast.
On the deck, it will weaken the deck (risk to lift it), I must put reinforcement plate under it.

What is the best solution according to you ?

Thanks !!

Marie

(I'm french speaking, if I use bad word you can correct me !! I don't know technical sailling vocabulary !)

West Marine Affiliate Program

The J/30 Class Association has partnered with West Marine and is now a member of the West Marine affiliate program. You can support the J/30 Class when you make your West Marine purchases online. The J/30 Class Association receives a percentage of sales from your purchases when you click through from our website. Click the logo above and you will be directed to the West Marine website with a cookie that identifies you as a J/30 affiliate. You can also use any discounts that you may be authorized.
Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: nemonaute] #13599
06/07/12 07:01 PM
06/07/12 07:01 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Portsmouth, RI
Marie,

Your English is much better than my French so no worries!

You should not attach halyard turning blocks to the deck as it is not designed to withstand the loads from the halyards. Riveting the blocks to the mast is the proper location.

If you go to the menu at the top of the forum, mouse over "Market", then click on "Equipment Suppliers". This will provide a listing with links for many suppliers where you can get replacement parts. The supplier you want for replacement blocks is Rig-Rite Inc. Here is a direct link to the Rig-Rite page. The entire Halyard Turning Block Assembly part number K-10865 is shown below. Perhaps you can contact Rig-Rite to see if they will sell just the Sheaves so you don't need to replace the entire turning block.

[Linked Image]

Edit: I found the replacement sheaves on this page. Part number K-10861-B5

Last edited by Rhapsody #348; 06/07/12 07:49 PM.
Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: Rhapsody #348] #13600
06/07/12 08:17 PM
06/07/12 08:17 PM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline
Cap'n Vic  Offline
Newport and Naples
We lead everything back on the Vee Jays. yes it is a lot of blocks and we lash them to the bottom of the mast.
but during full crew sailing the spin halyards [we have two], and pole topping lift are used at the mast.

random thoughts:

Before you start major work like this try lashing spare blocks where you think you are going to need them, and then try it out ... it rarely works like you would think, and a waste of effort if you are going to drill into the mast and find out the position doesn't work.

1. I suggest you just change out the sheaves on the existing turning blocks.
... that gives you 2 jib halyards on port, main, reef1 and spin halyard on starboard. standard sheaves and pins can be used, but a bit of a problem to get the old pins out.

Then you have to start thinking about 2 high deck organizers...
or fiddle blocks attached to a slide on the blade track which is what we do. and then we use harken 150 cam cleats.

Fiddle blocks at the bottom of the mast work better than double blocks or my recent mistake of trying a tripple block ... a tripple is just all bad.

2. the biggest mistake they ever made on J24s was to mount turning blocks to the deck.

3. also cunningham ... and main outhaul should be on list.

4. we have seen the vang switched so that it locks up at the boom instead of at the foot of the mast.

5. what you need to figure out is just how many lines go on each side and which is logical for your crew.

It is really nice off shore to not have to send someone forward to do simple adjustments.

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: Cap'n Vic] #13604
06/08/12 02:50 PM
06/08/12 02:50 PM
Québec City, Canada
nemonaute Offline OP
nemonaute  Offline OP
Québec City, Canada
Thanks for your answers !!!

I was precisely thinking of J24 blocks on the deck when I talked about putting it on the deck, but if you said that's bad, I believe you ! In fact there is no reinforcement on the J24's deck, that's the problem.
But I was thinking of a reinforcement with a cable and turnbuckle from the blocks on deck to the mast in the interior of the boat (difficult to explain with english words !! but it is a common system on racing boats.)

Cap'n Vic, do you have a picture of Vee Jay mast foot ?

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: nemonaute] #13605
06/08/12 05:02 PM
06/08/12 05:02 PM
Squamish, British Columbia
NaturalHigh Offline
NaturalHigh  Offline
Squamish, British Columbia
I have my vang run back to the cockpit. Makes short handing easier.

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: Cap'n Vic] #13755
07/07/12 11:28 PM
07/07/12 11:28 PM
Québec City, Canada
nemonaute Offline OP
nemonaute  Offline OP
Québec City, Canada
Originally Posted by Cap'n Vic
We lead everything back on the Vee Jays. yes it is a lot of blocks and we lash them to the bottom of the mast.
but during full crew sailing the spin halyards [we have two], and pole topping lift are used at the mast.

random thoughts:

Before you start major work like this try lashing spare blocks where you think you are going to need them, and then try it out ... it rarely works like you would think, and a waste of effort if you are going to drill into the mast and find out the position doesn't work.

1. I suggest you just change out the sheaves on the existing turning blocks.
... that gives you 2 jib halyards on port, main, reef1 and spin halyard on starboard. standard sheaves and pins can be used, but a bit of a problem to get the old pins out.

Then you have to start thinking about 2 high deck organizers...
or fiddle blocks attached to a slide on the blade track which is what we do. and then we use harken 150 cam cleats.

Fiddle blocks at the bottom of the mast work better than double blocks or my recent mistake of trying a tripple block ... a tripple is just all bad.

2. the biggest mistake they ever made on J24s was to mount turning blocks to the deck.

3. also cunningham ... and main outhaul should be on list.

4. we have seen the vang switched so that it locks up at the boom instead of at the foot of the mast.

5. what you need to figure out is just how many lines go on each side and which is logical for your crew.

It is really nice off shore to not have to send someone forward to do simple adjustments.

Hello Cap'n Vic !

Where do you put all these turning blocks ?... I know... on the mast... but where on the mast ?
The old halyard turning blocks take all the space on the mast.
If we put other blocks above, it will be too high. Below, there is not enough space, owing to mast boot.
It's like a puzzle, I don't find solution !

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: nemonaute] #13757
07/08/12 07:38 AM
07/08/12 07:38 AM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline
Cap'n Vic  Offline
Newport and Naples
will take photo today.

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: Cap'n Vic] #13758
07/08/12 10:03 AM
07/08/12 10:03 AM
Québec City, Canada
nemonaute Offline OP
nemonaute  Offline OP
Québec City, Canada
Thanks !! grin

Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: nemonaute] #13760
07/08/12 08:16 PM
07/08/12 08:16 PM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline
Cap'n Vic  Offline
Newport and Naples
temp block lashing using 3/8

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OK ... so remember this is experimental ... and I have been experimenting for several years to try to get two boats same, same, but best configuration of stuff led back. and still experimenting. Problem is that in Naples we seem to come into slip needing to secure on port, and in Newport we like to come into mooring with a secure on stbd. So roller furling is on opposite sides.

After heavy season use in Naples ... no real wear on 3/8s although i use a new spare piece every year and it always seems to be a different length so it has extra turns etc.

currently attached is vang, cunningham, cunningham anchor, and outhaul. In front we have a block which we use as a turning block for the spin topping lift so that we pull up rather than pull down to raise the pole.

I am going down this week to photograph the deck in Naples to see what my problem is with the deck in Newport where I seem to have a couple of extra cam cleats all of a sudden.

but I had double rope clutches here and triples there ... which is what seems to have caused some of my problems. Good think i have painted deck ... just patch and touch up.

Attached Files
eeP7070021.jpg [115.12 KBytes] - (3950 downloads)
temp block lashing
eP7070020.jpg [69.07 KBytes] - (2719 downloads)
temp block lashing
Re: Changing mast foot blocks [Re: Cap'n Vic] #13761
07/08/12 09:40 PM
07/08/12 09:40 PM
Québec City, Canada
nemonaute Offline OP
nemonaute  Offline OP
Québec City, Canada
Thanks very much !

I never think of puttings blocks on a rope. But it seems to work well for you.
I will think about it, I would rather pop padeyes on the mast, but there is not a lot of space for it. Your solution solves the problem, but it's not usual !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM