Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,432 Dacron Main
162,696 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Happy 2014 New Year from Bill #15377
01/01/14 03:39 PM
01/01/14 03:39 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Offline OP
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Offline OP
Past J/30 Class President
Portsmouth, RI
Bill here wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

We had another great year for the J/30 Class in 2013. Our class has 65 official active class members, 86 US Sailing members and has captured fleet information for 526 J/30 hulls. Our fleets continue to be recognized by J/Boats, Sailing Anarchy, Spin Sheet and across the world.

The J/30 Class is built on the foundation of sportsmanship and friendship. I continue to see the support of others through forum postings and on the water. We have a wealth of experience in the J/30 Class where different people across the country are able to reach out when asked to help new & experienced sailors with all aspects both on and off the water. The bonds of brotherhood formed in this class provide lifelong friendships.

During 2013, we supported J/30 sailing experiences to reach more parents and children through support of the National Sailing Hall of Fame to help local educators who are using sailing to teach math and science by giving connections to our sailing community. This was started by Dave Erwin reaching out to help NSHOF educators achieve learning objectives though use of our J/30s. Ron Anderson of the Chesapeake fleet provided support for this effort. J/30 sailors also gave back to the community by supporting fundraising efforts associated with various regattas associated with the Leukemia Cup (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society), Sail for Hope (Wounded Warrior Program & American Red Cross), and Hospice Regattas.

There are a few areas noteworthy to highlight for recognition during the past year.

RECOGNITION: J/30 Presidents' Recognition Awards

2013 North Americans - Steve Buzbee with the Blue Meanie crew a won the J/30 North American Championship hosted by Barrington Yacht Club on Narragansett Bay. This is the second time Blue Meanie has captured the J/30 North American trophy.
[Linked Image]
Picture Courtesy of Barrington YC Photographer Rob Migliaccio

J/30 Programs traveling the longest distance to attend NAs: Russ Atkinson's Rockwood, MI based program trailered his boat Wildcat over 1000 miles for the second year in a row to compete in the J/30 North Americans. Russ's effort and commitment to the J/30 Class is really appreciated.

[Linked Image]
Picture Courtesy of J/30 NA Official Photographer Spectrum Photo

J/30 Loaner Boat Program: Special thanks to Georges & Catherine Brun-Cottan for loaning their boat Footloose to Randy Boyles and the North Carolina based crew of Rocket J. Georges & Catherine delivered their boat over 100 miles each way from the Boston area to Barrington, RI to make this happen. This enabled the class to have a North Carolina based boat participate in the J/30 North Americans for the first time since 1989. Georges was a member of the Rocket J crew.
[Linked Image]

Most Effort Exerted to Participate in the NAs - Without a doubt, John Dennerlein and his Presto crew from Raritan Yacht Club deserve this award. Presto was significantly damaged during Hurricane Sandy. John worked feverishly to replace the mast and repair the hull and deck to refloat and attend this regatta. Less than 24 hours before he sailed Presto to deliver from New Jersey to Narragansett Bay, John was doing major hull repair work. He arrived just in time for measurement on Thursday of the regatta.
[Linked Image]

Most Prolific on the J/30 Forum - As class president, I will disqualify myself due to all the class business posts and recognize Vic Farmer of Vee Jay (hull 505). Vic posted numerous Vee Jay videos training the next generation of sailors, helping in the Blind National regatta on J/22s and keeping older sailors occupied! Vic has a wealth of knowledge posted on maintaining his boat(s). He recently sold Vee Jay 2 (Hull 526) to Michael Lusty who had his J/30 Belle Faster split in two during Hurricane Sandy.
[Linked Image]
Picture Courtesy of Captain Vic's Blog

If you would like to recognize a J/30 Class member for accomplishment visit this forum thread.

OUR SPONSORS

The J/30 Class would like to recognize those businesses that sponsored us during 2013. Without this sponsorship, we would not have the resources available to bring you the website, forum and regattas. Our Sponsors include: West Marine, North Sails, Quantum Sails, J Boats, Waterline Systems, J World Sailing School, New England Ropes, Oldport Marine Services, Hall Spars, Challenge Electronics, Weather Routing Incorporated, Pusser's Rum, Stanley's Boatyard, Southcoast Health System, Blount Fine Foods, Foley Fish, and Sandy Bottom

NORTH AMERICANS

Congratulations to Blue Meanie skippered by Steve Buzbee to win the North American Championship hosted by Barrington Yacht Club. Second place went to Evelyn skippered by the Northern New England District Governor Luke Buxton. Class Measurer Charlie Stoddard skippered Falcon from the host yacht club to a third place finish. Clare McMillan also from Barrington YC skippered Wicked to the fourth place finish. Rounding out the top five was Carl Sherter from Cedar Point YC who skippered Fat City. Carl has the honor of having skippered in the most J/30 North American Championships.
There were six of the nineteen boats and crews that participated in the NAs for the first time. These include Kevin Dakan (Blitz) from Warwick, RI; Jim & Chris Buydos (Magan) from Branford YC in CT; Jon Burt (Margay) from Hull YC in MA; Randy Boyles (Rocket J) from Pamlico Sailing Club in NC - enabled by Catherine & Georges Brun-Cottan (Footloose) of Cottage Point YC in MA providing the loaner boat, and John Dennerlein (Presto) from Raritan YC in NJ.
[Linked Image]

The 2014 North American Championship will be hosted by Cedar Point Yacht Club in Westport, CT September 11-14. The official regatta page is http://j30.us/na2014/ which will have registration open shortly. The J/30 North American Championship continues to be the largest venue of J/30 sailors sharing ideas and stories.

COMMUNICATIONS

The J/30 Forum continues to be the official communications medium for the J/30 Class. We continue to have discussions from sailors from all over the world exchanging sea stories, posting videos, sharing photographs, getting maintenance tips, coordinating cruises and scheduling races. Don't forget to check out the discussions on the district forums that are local to your area.

Since our boats are one year older, there are many who have taken extra steps to preserve the legacy and material condition of their boats. There is a wealth of information on the J/30 Forum made possible by people who have shared information on core replacement, engine rebuilding, running rigging upgrades, deck repair, and the list goes on. If you have not registered on the J/30 Forum, you're missing a great resource available at no cost for your use.

Don't forget to engage and speak to your district governors and ask "what do you want" so the J/30 Class can serve you better. Create opportunity to meet and connect with other J/30 owners in your area.

MERCHANDISE

The J/30 Class continues to partner with V-Sport, the J/Boat licensed apparel supplier to offer member discounts on J/30 logo merchandise that can be personalized for your boat. The class has also partnered with North Sails to offer J/30 flags available for purchase online. We offer both the large battle size and smaller back stay flags. In 2013 the J/30 Class Association partnered with West Marine and is now a member of the West Marine affiliate program. You can support the J/30 Class when you make your West Marine purchases online. The J/30 Class Association receives a percentage of sales from your purchases when you click through from our website you are directed to the West Marine website with a cookie that identifies you as a J/30 affiliate. You can also use any discounts that you may be authorized. We will keep a link visible on the J/30 website and on the J/30 Forum so you can easily locate the click through link.
The J/30 Class continues to partner with Boat US so that J/30 Class members receive a 50% discount on their annual Boat US membership as described in the Members Only section of the J/30 forum. We are also offering a US Sailing membership savings ($10 discount for individuals, $5 discount for youths, $15 discount for families) through the Member Value Program- those who pay J/30 Class dues online and enter their US Sailing number get a custom link with their data already entered to get this discount.

ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP

The class will be sending an email with a request for your J/30 Class record update and 2014 class dues by the end of January. Class dues will remain at $50 for each owner/co-owner and $25 for associate membership (crew members). We also have a Junior Membership category for crew members who are age 16 or younger. We hope this category will encourage Junior sailors to be recognized and added to the fleet roster. It is intended that when Junior Members pass the age of 16, they will become associate members, and eventually J/30 boat owners. The Chesapeake and Gulf Coast fleets will pay optional national and local dues using the national fleet tracking and renewal process. This helps us in so many ways to keep fleet information current while offering a service for local fleets. If you have not received an email message by 1 February, please contact us to be sent a custom registration link for your boat. We ask that everyone please support the class and pay dues, so we can continue to build the momentum with resources such as the web site, forum and National Championship.

FINAL NOTES

On a personal note, the J/30 Class has been a wonderful experience for me. I first started racing on Rhapsody in 1996 and became its owner in 2003. I made friends all over the world through my involvement with this class. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and friends. Both Cindy & I recently retired and now have the time to do whatever we want, whenever we want. I am now the proud owner of two J/Boats - J/30 Rhapsody #348 and J/109 Vento Solare #266. Cindy & I intend to cruise on Vento Solare and I will start splitting my race time on these two boats in 2014. I have a co-owner on Rhapsody who has agreed to buy the boat after the 2014 North American Championship in September at Cedar Point YC. I intend to have both boats there with J/109 Vento Solare as our floating hotel. This is my final New Year message to the J/30 Class.

I want to personally thank Dave Erwin who served as co-president with me from 2009 to 2013, and who has worked diligently behind the scene for the past few years to run our website and push the class forward with major initiatives. The success and resurgence of the J/30 Class is a direct reflection on Dave's efforts. I would also like to thank all of the J/30 Board of Governors I have served with throughout the years. Without the work and dedication of these individuals, we would not have the successful class that exists today. The class will have the opportunity to elect a new president at the J/30 NAs in September. I look forward to serving the class until then and providing a meaningful transition to the new class president.

Happy Sailing!
Bill Kneller
Rhapsody J/30 #348
Vento Solare J/109 #266

Re: Happy 2014 New Year from Bill [Re: Rhapsody #348] #15381
01/02/14 09:58 PM
01/02/14 09:58 PM
Waukegan, IL
jhoskins Offline
jhoskins  Offline
Waukegan, IL
Bill,

Thank you for all your efforts for the class and your very informative blogs. I have referred to your posts and blogs countless number of times and they have been very helpful.

Thanks again and congrats on you new J!

John
Madcap 358
Re: Happy 2014 New Year from Bill [Re: Rhapsody #348] #15383
01/03/14 04:59 PM
01/03/14 04:59 PM
Maryland, USA
Bob Rutsch Offline
Governor at Large
Bob Rutsch  Offline
Governor at Large
Maryland, USA
Many thanks to Bill and Dave for all their efforts to build the class and provide value through this site to members.

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM