Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,298 Dacron Main
162,662 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15956
11/10/14 10:29 PM
11/10/14 10:29 PM
Melbourne, FL, USA
Rob Van Name Offline
Rob Van Name  Offline
Melbourne, FL, USA
Alex,
Pretty massive project. Can you tell me what kind of port lights you using in the cabin? I'm getting tired of the leaky stock units.

Rob

Nordic Star, hull 406

West Marine Affiliate Program

The J/30 Class Association has partnered with West Marine and is now a member of the West Marine affiliate program. You can support the J/30 Class when you make your West Marine purchases online. The J/30 Class Association receives a percentage of sales from your purchases when you click through from our website. Click the logo above and you will be directed to the West Marine website with a cookie that identifies you as a J/30 affiliate. You can also use any discounts that you may be authorized.
Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15957
11/10/14 11:04 PM
11/10/14 11:04 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Portsmouth, RI
Alex - quite the electrical refit! Suggestion - get rid of the wire nuts and install terminal boards with lugs crimped on the wires. ABYC E-11 doesn't allow the use of wire nuts on a boat due to potential vibration and corrosion problems.

11.16.3.4 - "Terminal connectors shall be the ring or captive spade types."

11.16.3.6 - "Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used."

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: Rhapsody #348] #15960
11/11/14 01:09 PM
11/11/14 01:09 PM
San Francisco
alx Offline OP
alx  Offline OP
San Francisco
Originally Posted by Rob Van Name
Alex,
Pretty massive project. Can you tell me what kind of port lights you using in the cabin? I'm getting tired of the leaky stock units.

Rob

Nordic Star, hull 406

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure you'll want to go the route I did - I installed new Vetus portlights that are somewhat larger than the J/30 windows. To do that I expanded the windows by around an inch on all sides.

These are the portlights that I'm putting in.

Originally Posted by Rhapsody #348
Alex - quite the electrical refit! Suggestion - get rid of the wire nuts and install terminal boards with lugs crimped on the wires. ABYC E-11 doesn't allow the use of wire nuts on a boat due to potential vibration and corrosion problems.

11.16.3.4 - "Terminal connectors shall be the ring or captive spade types."

11.16.3.6 - "Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used."

I plan on getting some proper signaling connectors, but need to proceed with wiring the panel. If I waited on every single special order I'd never get anything done.

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15961
11/11/14 03:08 PM
11/11/14 03:08 PM
Melbourne, FL, USA
Rob Van Name Offline
Rob Van Name  Offline
Melbourne, FL, USA
Alex,
How did these port lights tolerate the curve of deck house? Did you have to build up so they lie flat?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15962
11/12/14 03:40 PM
11/12/14 03:40 PM
Summit, NJ
Michael L Offline
Michael L  Offline
Summit, NJ
I love how the portlight manufacturer reminds us that they are not for use below the waterline.

Michael
Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: Michael L] #15963
11/13/14 05:28 PM
11/13/14 05:28 PM
San Francisco
alx Offline OP
alx  Offline OP
San Francisco
New accent paint shining in the evening sun:
[Linked Image]

Alex,
How did these port lights tolerate the curve of deck house? Did you have to build up so they lie flat?

Thanks,

Rob

They haven't actually been installed yet (we're still painting as per the picture above), but in our test fitting the curvature hasn't been much of a problem. I expect the frames to draw tight while still being able to seal the window.

Originally Posted by Michael L
I love how the portlight manufacturer reminds us that they are not for use below the waterline.

Yeah, I thought that was hilarious too. I would assume that's because there actually are hatches for use below the waterline (as escape hatches). Still, it's not like you're going to squeeze out through that portlight.

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15964
11/13/14 11:34 PM
11/13/14 11:34 PM
Melbourne, FL, USA
Rob Van Name Offline
Rob Van Name  Offline
Melbourne, FL, USA
Alex,
You might want to seal the core around the exhaust pipe at the transom if it hasn't been done already. We were able cut around the pipe from inside and then fill with epoxy.

Rob

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: Rob Van Name] #15967
11/14/14 04:44 PM
11/14/14 04:44 PM
San Francisco
alx Offline OP
alx  Offline OP
San Francisco
Alex,
You might want to seal the core around the exhaust pipe at the transom if it hasn't been done already. We were able cut around the pipe from inside and then fill with epoxy.

Rob

The core was excavated around the fitting hole and sealed with Permatex high temperature sealant (following a few examples I've seen online).

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15969
11/17/14 01:27 PM
11/17/14 01:27 PM
San Francisco
alx Offline OP
alx  Offline OP
San Francisco
I said goodbye to my Dad this morning. He's heading home today, and I'll be flying to Virginia myself next week for Thanksgiving with the family. He was overdue back home - in his absence all but one of my family's cars have developed some kind of problem, from bad wheel bearings to weak batteries. He'll be returning in December though to help finish.

So, how'd we do?? Here's what's done or mostly done:

• (70%) Replace rat's nest that is the old 12V system with new panel & wiring.

I have a few more wires to run, but the bulk of the installation work is complete.
  • (70%) Install Espar Airtronic D4 cabin heater.

Installed and running with a few problems (more below). No ductwork run yet.
  • Install AIS receiver.
  • Recommission long-empty freshwater system, renewing the plumbing, installing a pressure pump and replacing fixtures.

Having pressurized water is awesome! Still need to replace both drain hoses. I ultimately want to install closable thru-hulls.
  • Install new freshwater head and renew all blackwater hoses, and clean out old holding tank. Not looking forward to this one.
  • Replace old gimbaled pressurized alcohol stove with new fixed propane stovetop (fed from disposable bottles, no on-board propane storage).
  • Upgrade icebox with an addon holding plate/condenser system for refrigeration capability.
  • (75%) Replace clouded fixed portlight windows with new opening models.

3 out of 4 windows are in. There was a problem with the 4th, and a replacement is on order.
  • Replace main cabin and head overhead hatches (current ones don't even lock).
  • Re-bed stanchion bases at the bow.

Turned out not to be necessary - the deck/hull under the stanchions is pure fiberglass, no core material.

And what's left:
  • Install 120VAC system with shore power inlet, galvanic isolator, and battery charger.
  • Apply Kiwigrip to entire deck.

Not bad if you ask me!

The new windows look fantastic:

[Linked Image]

So, electrical: the new panel is installed and operational, about half of the circuits are hooked up. As part of the retrofit I'm moving the controls for the navigation lighting (running, steaming, masthead and deck lights) to the cockpit. That part's not done yet. But starboard cabin lights, water pressure, autopilot, heater, and refrigerator are all wired. A lot of the other controls are at the panel or near it and just require short runs.

And ahh, the Espar. That thing is awesome and terrifying. We put together a fuel run with a couple of hacked connections (mainly for testing until I can special order actual 2mm parts). Nevertheless, it doesn't leak.

When we first engaged the heater, it cycled through 5-6 starting attempts without firing. Removing the fuel line revealed there was fuel at the supply end but not the demand, so we figured either the pump was faulty or just needed primed. We ran it with the end submerged in a cup of diesel and it started spraying fuel out the tube just fine. Connected it all back together and the thing fired up on the second try.

Once it did, it quickly got hot. Very hot. Exhaust started pouring out the hose connection at the base of the heater, and my infrared thermometer showed temperatures approaching 400 degrees. An inspection of the exhaust hose clamp revealed the problem - it had snagged around a stud on the heater and didn't properly close. With the clamp tightened down, the unit fired up and ran for a while. I did see a little more smoke by the connection, but we're not sure if it was exhaust leaking or burnoff from the Permatex high temperature gasket compound we used to enhance the exhaust seal.

The unit shut itself off about 5-10 minutes into running, showing "OVERHEAT" on the display. I believe that's because our outflow ducting currently exits the heater and makes two immediate 90 degree bends about 4 inches apart, to dodge a cockpit locker and turn into the cabin. That creates, I think, a higher pressure and temperature at the outflow end, causing the heater to shut itself down.

Current plan is to test with the duct removed and if that resolves the problem, route the ducting through the cockpit locker instead of around it. I'll lose some storage space, but oh well.

So in summary, we're able to cross most things off our list, with only minor work remaining to be done on a few of them. Hurrah!

Re: Ananda's Refit [Re: alx] #15974
11/24/14 01:07 PM
11/24/14 01:07 PM
San Francisco
alx Offline OP
alx  Offline OP
San Francisco
I installed the new shore power system yesterday. Got the inlet plug cut out (installed it in the starboard wall of the footwell), the panel wired, galvanic isolator for the ground, and the new battery charger wired.

Plugged in the power and it all works!

I also have been able to test the Espar without the outflow duct attached - works just fine, no overheating issues. Looks like my problem is the pair of 90 degree bends, which should be an easy fix.

Last edited by alx; 11/24/14 05:40 PM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM