There are lots of ways to get thru hulls out and one I recently saw on YouTube seemed like a really good way to do it. In their configuration they used a large 4" + diameter pipe that was about 4" long, but the dimensions only need to be a diameter larger than the thru hull and long enough to create a bridge over the thru hull. Well I didn't have any pipe like that, but I have a ton of off cuts in my shop, so I just made a simple very beefy little bridge. The main cross piece is about a 2" x 2" piece of oak with a couple of blocks glued to the ends to make the bridge. Then I did buy some 3/8" x 12" all thread because I didn't have a long enough bolt to use. Using all thread means you need to double nut both ends of the thread and use a wrench to stop the all thread from turning as you tension the setup. I used a small piece of aluminum I had in the shop for the inside bridge. This thing is really easy to use and I believe it would pull the largest of thru hulls as long as you are patient, or you could speed the process up by adding some heat while the setup was under tension.

The trick is to make the assembly and then just start slowly applying tension. Just remember that the 5200 isn't really a structural bonding material, so under load it just slowly fails, so every few seconds you just add some more tension to the setup. The small thu hull shown took about 5 minutes and I would expect a larger one to take at least twice that long.

Again this isn't a new idea, just one I came across and made my own version of. I think I'm into this tool about $4 and most of that was the all thread. If I had had the right length bolt I could have built it for free.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
20170504_100332_resize.jpg [857.77 KBytes] - (1203 downloads)
20170504_111543_resize.jpg [869.09 KBytes] - (1213 downloads)
20170504_111121_resize.jpg [657.89 KBytes] - (1073 downloads)
20170504_112318_resize.jpg [762.85 KBytes] - (1426 downloads)
Last edited by Coastie; 05/06/17 02:00 PM.

Dave Graf