Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,225 Dacron Main
162,648 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MaJic Carpet finally Gets Underway #17944
08/04/18 03:17 PM
08/04/18 03:17 PM
Scappoose, OR
C
Coastie Offline OP
Coastie  Offline OP
C
Scappoose, OR
Well it has been over 1-1/2 years that I have had MaJic Carpet next to my shop getting no end of repairs and upgrades. Two weeks ago I towed it to a local boat yard for them to do a couple of jobs I simply couldn't do like fair the very bottom of the keel. I had figured out how to jack th boat up, but decided that the cribbing was too unstable to risk putting my hands under the keel. THe yard had much better tools for doing this part of the project. THey also helped with the new MaxProp installation which is a bit more involved than I had understood. ai will write up a separate thread on the MaxProp. the bottom line is I now have a propeller that can actually provide reverse thrust. As soon as the boat went into the water we took it for a shake down cruise for a week up the Columbia RIver about a 100 mile round trip and everything worked pretty well. I have lots more to learn about this boat, but my confidence is going up all the time. All of the work is apparent and it almost looks like a new boat, but we have more to do in that area. My spray job is going to require another haul out to perfect the finish and we have already proven how tough the Awlcraft 2000 finish is after being thrown up on the dock a couple of time by really inconsiderate boaters throwing huge wakes.I will be adding the cloth covers to my bumpers after seeing how the bare bumpers can ride up the hull and become ineffective. but he paint took the abuse just fine and now I just need to clean up the contact marks from the painted docks.The image of us underway shows some of the extra gear we hauled up on deck including two inflatable Kayaks a Sevlor raft and a
[img]http://[/img] large Yeti cooler. Our group was heading to Beacon rock and it was nearly 100° The cruise went well over the last 5 days. The boat did what it was supposed to do and it passed the Wife tests just fine once she figure out where and how to store everytining.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
IMG_4354_resize.JPG [70.95 KBytes] - (436 downloads)
20180705_171221_resize.jpg [89.78 KBytes] - (457 downloads)
Last edited by Coastie; 08/04/18 03:23 PM.

Dave Graf
Re: MaJic Carpet finally Gets Underway [Re: Coastie] #17967
08/09/18 09:03 AM
08/09/18 09:03 AM
Burton, Michigan
N
nathankt79 Offline
nathankt79  Offline
N
Burton, Michigan
Congrats. She's beautiful. I hope you enjoy her.

Re: MaJic Carpet finally Gets Underway [Re: Coastie] #17984
09/03/18 02:31 AM
09/03/18 02:31 AM
New Orleans, LA, USA
David Erwin Offline
J30.us
David Erwin  Offline
J30.us
New Orleans, LA, USA
Congrats! #GoSailing

Re: MaJic Carpet finally Gets Underway [Re: Coastie] #18487
05/30/20 01:54 PM
05/30/20 01:54 PM
Oregon
S
Sagan Offline
Forum Newbie
Sagan  Offline
Forum Newbie
S
Oregon
Hello all, I am picking this thread up to update the story of MaJic Carpet. MaJic Carpet hull #281 underwent a refit that was chronicled on the forum by Coastie, who spent several years pulling the boat apart and rebuilding it in his driveway. As I am sure by the many contributions to the threads that were started by Coastie that many of you know the boat that I am speaking of. The last postings from Coastie were in this thread this is where I will pick up the story.

I originally met Coastie sailing NACRA’s. At that time Coastie had just completed the rebuild of his 78 NACRA 5.2 that was now in better than new condition and looked unbelievable. I had recently purchased a NACRA 5.2 to keep my self-entertained while living in Central Oregon (not much sailing). Coastie spent a good deal of time talking to me about the boat as well as about other boats. He even extended an open invitation to me to help with any work on my boat that I might need. Several months later one of my hulls began to collapse. When I reached out to Coastie for advice on what to do he went above and beyond inviting me to his house for a weekend of boat repairs.

When I pulled into the driveway the first thing I noticed was a J30 sitting next to his garage. I immediately lost interest in the NACRA’s and began asking questions about the J30. After seeing the great lengths of work that Coastie was putting into the J30, thought to my self wow this guy is going all in on this project. The rest of the weekend was spent repairing my NACRA. After this visit I stayed in touch with Coastie and followed his refit of the J30. From there we met up several times to sail and race cat’s.
I spoke with Coastie just before MaJic Carpet was relaunched he was extremely excited and ready to go after all the work he had put in. Shortly after the relaunch I received an email with photos of the boat making its way down the Columbia.

Now that I have provided the back story of my introduction to Coastie and how we became friends I can pick up where he left off. After returning from his first week long trip on the boat Coastie became very sick. Coastie’s illness quickly took over his life and put him on a new life course. Sadly, Coasty lost his fight with his illness several months later. MaJic Carpet was left sitting in it’s slip being looked after by Coasties friends. When it came time for the boat to be moved on to a new owner it was transported to Anacortes Washington where Coasties brother could show the boat and arrange a buyer.

While on vacation in Cape Cod, MA I was browsing for boats on craigslist to pass the time during low tide. When I saw the posting for a J30 I instantly recognized the boat as MaJic Carpet. I turned to my wife and said look it’s Coaties boat for sale in Anacortes. She much to my surprise immediately said that I should call. After speaking with Coasties brother and working out the details of how I would own a boat 400 miles from my home in Bend, OR I agreed to buy it sight unseen. I was only able to take this gamble because I new the boat and its history and the work that had been meticulously put into it.

My wife, 4 year old daughter and I have been cruising the boat out of Anacortes for the last few months and have been slowly working to complete the refit that was 95% completed by Coastie. I have some questions on few issues that I have been working on but will save those for a later time. I mainly wrote this post to tell you all how great and generous of a person Coastie was and to update you on MaJic Carpet.

Re: MaJic Carpet finally Gets Underway [Re: Sagan] #18492
06/07/20 11:44 AM
06/07/20 11:44 AM
St. Helens, OR USA
Koesh Offline
Koesh  Offline
St. Helens, OR USA
I'm glad Majic Carpet got a good owner! I helped Coastie with the rebuild and we were going to tackle mine (Koeshtkah) after his was completed. If you have questions I may be able to help, especially in the process (already well documented by Dave) of how she was done. PM me and I'll send you the only 2 photos (shot from a rooftop restaurant so very distant) I know of from their upriver trip with the SHSC group. One of those was in Coastie's last post I see.

Last edited by Koesh; 06/07/20 11:48 AM.

Doug Marshall
Koeshtkah #207

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM