Classified Ad Guidelines Simplified - Must Read Before Posting
(Thanks to Jason King for the updates 6 Jan 2009)
In an effort to ensure both informative and current advertisements, there are some guidelines to posting in the classifieds that you'll need to follow. This subforum is a departure from the previous J/30 Marketplace that was webmaster administered. The purpose is to make it easy for you to post and update your own ads for boats and equipment or to create a "Wanted" post if you're searching for a boat or boat part to buy. These guidelines are in place to help those browsing the ads quickly see what's available, how long it's been available and what's been sold. Once the boat is sold, the requirement for this free listing is that the J/30 class is provided the name and buyer's contact information so that J/30 Class records can be updated.Subject:
Your title in the subject box should, at a minimum, clearly state what it is you're selling (or looking to buy). You may also want to include the item's location, particularly if it's a boat or an item that's expensive to ship (like an engine or spinnaker pole). Some examples are below:For Sale: Fiasco, Hull #999 - Located Bristol, RIFS: Harken Windward Sheeting Car WANTED: Race Quality #1, 163% LPText:
The body of your ad should contain enough information to clearly convey the scope, condition, location, and price of your advertisement. This is your chance to sell
what you're selling - please be detailed.Contact Information:
All ads must contain your name and contact information, including phone number and email. The board includes provisions to prevent spambots from harvesting email addresses.Price:
ALL "For Sale" ads must include a price. "Make offer" is not acceptable. "Asking $xxx - price negotiable" is acceptable.Photos:
Photos are encouraged. You can upload a file stored on your computer by selecting the "Upload Attachment" tab just beneath the posting form (next to the options tab). You can make this an "inline image" to show using the check boxes.
You can also image a photo that's hosted elsewhere. Go to the hosted image and copy the URL by right-clicking the image and selecting "properties." Paste the URL between the image tags (see below) which you can either manually type or select from the buttons above the posting form.
Update your ad!
Please update your ad to reflect a change in price or to indicate the item is sold. If the item has been for sale for an extended period of time, it may have dropped in the post listings. If this happens, you can "bump" it to the top by simply posting "item still available" and, if appropriate, add a revised price or update to the listing. Don't abuse this though, excessive bumps (no more often than every few months unless there is a material change in the ad) are not allowed.
When the item is sold, please update the subject line by prefacing the title with "Sold: "
so people know not to contact you. We want to keep the "Sold" items on the board so people can look at these in the future for reference. Once an item is marked as sold, the thread will be locked so no other updates can be made or replies posted in that thread.Item Must Be Your Own
The classifieds are not intended for third party items. Unless you are listing a brokerage boat (and you are the broker), then please don't post the item. For example, "J30 in New Orleans Craigslist!" would not be acceptable. However, you could list your own J/30 with the details in the J/30 Marketplace and also list it on Craigslist or with a broker.
If you have any questions or if you need help posting your ad, please contact the forum moderator via PM or email.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Template below as originally posted 3 Jan 2009 - use text formatting codes from the menu if desired
This is the template to use if you want to place an advertisement to sell your J/30. Use the directions below. The template is formatted so the advertisement provides the basic information necessary for someone to evaluate your boat as a potential purchase and contact you. The style is intended to be the same for all ads. Should you desire to show more than one picture, please host them externally and link to them, rather than attaching them.
1. To place an ad, right click this link
and select open a new window so you can copy and paste between this window and the new one.
2. Copy the line below into the new window "Subject" box. Replace "19XX" with the model year of your boat, replace "xxx" with your hull number and "Boat Name" with the name of your boat.19XX J/30 - Hull #xxx Boat Name
3. Copy and paste the text below between the horizontal lines into the new window description box. Overwrite the text as necessary to fill in your information. There are examples and directions included on line with hash marks "##". These are for your assistance only and the lines with the hash marks should be deleted. There are BB formatting codes included in the text below for bold text, image links and making your email a hot link. Please keep these codes in the post you make so that all advertisements have the same look and feel.
]Year J/30 - Hull #xxx Boat Name
located in City, State
]1985 J/30 - Hull #526 Daisy Cutter located in Scituate, MA[/b
] ##Example Only - Delete This Line##
Insert your text with the description here overwriting this line. Use as many lines as desired and use text formatting from the menu if desired
Insert a picture link in the line below, or attach a picture using the "upload attachment" tab - ##Delete This Line##
]Picture URL Here
] ##Example Only - Delete this line and if attaching a picture instead, delete line above too##
] Your Name
[/email] Tel. xxx-xxx-xxxx
] John Smith [email
] Tel. 203-555-5555 ##Example Only - Delete##
Ad posted date
Ad posted 3/25/2008 ##Example Only - Delete This Line##
4. Once you have completed entering your information in the new window, click on the "Preview" button to see what the advertisement will look like. Scroll down below the preview window to make any changes. You may preview again by clicking on the "Preview" button. Once you are satisfied with your ad, click on "Submit".
5. In the future if you decide to revise your ad, you can open the posting and click the "Edit" button. Please include on the last line "Ad Revised xx/xx/xxxx" with the date.
6. If you sell the boat, please post that the boat was sold. You can edit the subject line and include "Sold" as the 1st word.