Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,347 Dacron Main
162,673 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Launching Spin from Front Hatch? #6874
02/05/09 12:31 PM
02/05/09 12:31 PM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline OP
Cap'n Vic  Offline OP
Newport and Naples
So OK 20 years ago when i raced OD we always launched spin from rail ... but when i watched the nationals in Bristol most of the boats launched from the front hatch and many seemed to douse into the hatch as well. some launched from the companionway ala j24 and a few still launched from the rail...
So i have started to launch from the hatch and use the vee berth as a set up for the spin instead of a bag ... not all that bad ... but some of my crew still thinks we should use the rail ... of course they are not foredeck crew. I think I can leave the sheets attached into the hatch and that seems to be a plus ... why have most people gone to the hatch ... is it just because it is easier all around? and if so why do some boats still use the bag on the rail?

Vic

Last edited by CaptainVic; 02/05/09 12:32 PM.
Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Cap'n Vic] #6877
02/05/09 04:58 PM
02/05/09 04:58 PM
Highland Park, NJ
Steve Buzbee Offline
Steve Buzbee  Offline
Highland Park, NJ
We switched to a hatch launch and douse a bunch of years ago-I'd never go back. Much less hassle in the cockpit, no need to detach/reattach lines, much less chance of an accidental early deployment. The current NA champ uses a companionway launch (a carryover from his J-24)-I tried that a few times, didn't like it as much do to the sail obscuring the view from the helm during the douse.

Make sure that the hatch has no nasty things that can catch/tear the sail though.

Steve Buzbee
Blue Meanie J/30 #485
Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Steve Buzbee] #6878
02/05/09 05:22 PM
02/05/09 05:22 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Portsmouth, RI
Steve - I remember when I crewed on Smiles for the 2007 NAs that they did the spinnaker in the fwd hatch, but don't recall the details. Just wondering on the following questions if you could explain what's done.
  • Is the spin halyard left attached, or connected just before launch?
  • If connected before launch, I assume it has to run forward, outside the jib, under the jib foot, then back to the spin head. Is it less difficult than that sounds?
  • Are sheets left connected after the douse?
  • Does a person need to be below the fwd hatch to pull in the spinnaker, or can it be stuffed quickly enough from topside?
  • How many people are forward during the douse (doing what)

Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Rhapsody #348] #6887
02/07/09 02:15 PM
02/07/09 02:15 PM
Henderson Harbor N.Y.
HHSA Offline
HHSA  Offline
Henderson Harbor N.Y.
This is great thread. I have been trying side launches, pulpit launches, and companionway launch and my crew and I all have a favorite way to do it. I am very curious about this forward hatch launch. I have one other question to add to the list.

which way does the hatch face. I have seen 30 with hatches that open to the bow and others that open towards the mast. does this matter? It seems like it would catch if it opened "backwards".

Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Rhapsody #348] #6894
02/09/09 01:11 AM
02/09/09 01:11 AM
New York, NY, USA
M
misthos Offline
misthos  Offline
M
New York, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Rhapsody #348
Steve - I remember when I crewed on Smiles for the 2007 NAs that they did the spinnaker in the fwd hatch, but don't recall the details. Just wondering on the following questions if you could explain what's done.
  • Is the spin halyard left attached, or connected just before launch? It can be done either way though keeping attached provides the set up with the least amount of work - however, foredeck needs to insure they keep the halyard clear of the jib so as not to affect jib shape/trim
  • If connected before launch, I assume it has to run forward, outside the jib, under the jib foot, then back to the spin head. Is it less difficult than that sounds? Yes it is less difficult than you make it sound. Set it up clean outside the jib and you'll be fine. Picture them both doused on the deck.
  • Are sheets left connected after the douse? Yes.
  • Does a person need to be below the fwd hatch to pull in the spinnaker, or can it be stuffed quickly enough from topside? The quickest way is to have someone below (much easier to pull down than push down from above) but it can be done from above. I find it takes the same amount of people (either two above pulling down and pushing or one above and one below).
  • How many people are forward during the douse (doing what) If the pole comes down then it could be three (one to drop and secure pole, one to pull down spin and one below pulling in spin). If the pole is doused with a few seconds earlier to allow time to secure then you need only two (foredeck pulling down and one below to pull spin in).

One general comment I would make about the hatch (or companionway) versus the rail is that the lack of needing to run the chute and repack means weight can stay on the rail rather than spending time below. This benefit of course depends upon conditions....

Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Cap'n Vic] #6904
02/12/09 09:38 AM
02/12/09 09:38 AM
Barrington, RI
cstoddard Offline
cstoddard  Offline
Barrington, RI
I've done all the combo's

the issue with the hatch set is making sure it clears the hatch edges and doesn't get hung up If you are using the Bomar plastic hatch DO NOT SET from the hatch you may break it (250.00) it works best if the hatch opens forward so it lies flat on the deck.

Dead down wind takedowns are great thru the hatch if you are reaching in it doesn't work. Also in a big breeze you may end up with too many people forward getting it down

We have gone back to a rail set and either a leeward or windward take down as its a standard method ie if you have crew coming and going from the boat.

Charlie Stoddard
Falcon #229
Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: ] #6909
02/13/09 10:44 AM
02/13/09 10:44 AM
Marblehead, MA
dbows Offline
dbows  Offline
Marblehead, MA
We do what ever is needed. Launch first from the rail then try and douse to the hatch, then launch from the hatch on the second leg. But we are always prepared to douse to the companion way - I do not think you can always count on one way to get the chute down.

Also we found that it really helps to have the foreguy mounted either at the mast base or between the mast and the hatch. With it in front of the hatch it just seemed to get in the way a lot.

David

David Bows
Mallorca - Hull# 397
~~~~~_/)~_/)~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~
Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: dbows] #6912
02/14/09 05:04 PM
02/14/09 05:04 PM
Watchung, NJ
B Johansson Offline
B Johansson  Offline
Watchung, NJ
As Buzbee mentioned "Fuzzy Wuzzy" use the companion way set/douse all the time. For us it started with the guys at X-yachts and Diamond sails convincing us to use this system on the X-102 we got close to 25 years ago and we never turned back.
Some of the advantages are: no need for more than one person forward of the mast, no need to disconnect any lines (we keep them connected for a whole regatta), the crew can stay on the high side (if needed) during sets & douses, no need to re-pack (if it came down it will go back up), less risk of getting tangled with the Genoa, very easy when sailing shorthanded (Marie and I use it often when we sail with the kids) and best of all it is always the same (port side) - less confusing for all involved.
Potential disadvantages:
Prefeeding the foot takes a little longer, somewhat harder to do a gybe set and windward take downs are harder coming in too hot in 20+
We use a deep bag from Layline suspended from Spectra lines each side of the copanion way- this makes it easy to slide it forward or clip it to one side between races.
Bengt Johansson - "Fuzzy Wuzzy"

Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: B Johansson] #6913
02/16/09 09:12 AM
02/16/09 09:12 AM
Newport and Naples
Cap'n Vic Offline OP
Cap'n Vic  Offline OP
Newport and Naples
For those looking to see the hatch launch in action:
[Linked Image]

don't know which J30 this is at Key West ... but it pretty much sums up the program. Genny snugged in a bit, fordeck helping the release out of the hatch, halyard raised at the mast, guy prefed to end of pole, probably sheet prefed to just behind shroud.

on Vee Jay because we have roller furling ... the foredeck rolls in the genny from his position just before the mast as soon as the spin is up and pole brought back. The Genny lazy sheet is over the front end of the top bridle, and the crew is trained to maintain a genny sheet on the front end of the pole for jibes.

I was having crew problems with cockpit confusion about pole up, pole down, pole forward, pole back ... so moved spin halyard to mast, pole lift to mast and genny furl to foredeck. only thing we control from back of boat is pole down. But as I remember from the old days the first thing we did is always set up a spin halyard cleat on the mast... still goes to the turning block at base of mast just in case.

Re: Launching Spin from Front Hatch? [Re: Cap'n Vic] #6914
02/16/09 09:59 AM
02/16/09 09:59 AM
Marblehead, MA
dbows Offline
dbows  Offline
Marblehead, MA
Maybe Fat City in the photo?

David Bows
Mallorca - Hull# 397
~~~~~_/)~_/)~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM