Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
LLBoat, zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ
1018 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
977,662 Dacron Main
163,105 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,984
Posts19,069
Members1,019
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: gmo] #13311
03/26/12 10:36 PM
03/26/12 10:36 PM
BC
Tony Brogan Offline
Tony Brogan  Offline
BC
I sent this off to my e-mail list so here it is for you too

Greetings to All

The 31st annual run of the Patos Island Race is now history.
The weather was beautiful.
sunny 10 c and a 5-15 knot breeze.
32 boats entered in Three races
Long course of 67 miles had 2 divisions.
Short course of 43 miles a single div and the 17 mile day race a single division.
We were in Div two with 3 more J-30s and a J-29.

The weather dictated a downwind spinnaker start and the reported 4-500 spectators on the piers and shoreline were treated to a grand spectacle of coloured sails in 3 separate starts spaced over 20 minutes with 10 minute intervals between starts.

The run down to Beaumont Shoals was terrific with a steady breeze and boat speeds over 8 knots at times. For all that we found ourselves near the back of the fleet at the turn. A well executed spinnaker takedown saw us quickly on a beat in 15-17 knots apparent wind. We found the boat going well with good speed and pointing well inside all the other boats as we began to get back into the fleet with a number now to lee and behind us. The fleet tacked up to us and we debated whether to stick to our plan of going to the San Juan island shore or to tack as well and consolidate gains by covering the fleet. We decided to stick to the plan.

The first hole swallowed us up as we got close to the shore and we came to a near stop while we watched the fleet sail away. Now we thought , that this is a good day out in the sun, so don't worry, enjoy! Three hours later we are second or third last in the fleet as we approach turn Point on Stuart Island but we could see Vampire in our sights and as we made the turn we were a minute back but not many other boats to be seen except those miles ahead half way to Patos and the two behind.

In Boundary pass we hit the tidal stream and and made good time. we to the left and Vampire, another J-30 skippered by good friend Don Millie, to the right.

The second hole appeared across the course and we slid to a halt but with a 2 knot current in our favour. It was there we met 4 other boats from the short course who had already made it around Patos and were on the way back. Vampire got the first breeze on the right and sailed away doing a horizon job on us as we bantered and chit chatted with the Crew of Gypsy Dream. Finamlly we got our breeze 40 minutes later and were were on our way. Still only 18.30 and ahead of schedule, with another 2 hours of daylight to go.

We had a quiet gentle spinnaker run along the backside of Patos with no other boat in sight. We did not know at the time but a number of our division were around the island ahead of us 2 miles in front. As we emerged from Patos to head home we saw the sails of the 2 boats behind just as the approached the island so they were now 2 miles back of us.

The wind now filled in nicely and we were still on a close reach or beat to the Saturna Island shore as we followed our plan. The current was still flooding against us now for another hour as darkness descended around us . It was a clear starlit night with the sliver of the brand new silver moon just descending in the West with the stars above. At times like this all other thoughts are removed and peace and tranquility reigns. It is good for the soul. As we progressed and approached the entrance to Plumper sound we noticed that there were more and more running lights showing around us. Could it be the fleet. The water was unruffled. The wind was a, unseen but felt on the cheek and back of the neck, a cool caress. The current was with us and we glided through the water at a knot or so with our speed over ground 2-3 knots. Now we passed a boat over there a quarter mile and those over to port we could see green lights and not stern. And on we went. We counted 15 sets of the running lights and we had passed most and crept on our way passed Bedwell trying to keep to the Southern Pender shore to mitigate the ebb current now against us.

Other boats were now moving and a couple of larger boats glided passed us. Could we make it down to Canoe Rock and around Moresby where the flashing yellow light of 3 in sequence followed by a pause beckoned. We tacked to head for the gap only to find we were being flushed down by the current to the wrong side. There were now 10-12 boats trying to make it around and they were spread from Moresby to Haro straits trying to find enough wind to make the passage. We tack back again and head out along the Pender shore some more and now another boat crept up and passed us and turned for Canoe Rock. We continued a while longer and now Canoe rock was abaft the beam, (I like that terminology!) We turned again for the passage and again we were being swept back. We continued to debate whether to continue but then we felt the wind. Imperceptibly the boat picked up speed. Our angle to the pass improved, and so it went as a slightly freshening breeze got us around the rock and the turn for home. Coal Island was the next mark with its flashing Green. We had passed a number of boats and in light air we raised the spinnaker again and on a close reach made good progress. We were now hearing boats call in to the committee as they passed coal Island. By golly we were not so far back now. We overtook another boat and it looked like another J-boat and indeed it was, as here was Vampire again. We finally made the Coal Island turn for home to the finish. We douse the spinnaker and with the Genoa set made for home on a close hauled course. Vampire behind a half minute. With a freshened breeze we were making better time and now 5- 6 knots. Vampire eased off and picked up speed and now overtook us. I knew he had a new headsail and I thought wow it is really making a difference. What I did not know and could not see was that they hoisted the kite again and flying it at 55-60 degrees was able to make the mark ahead of us by a minute. Well sailed to Don and crew. What I did not see was Natural High just ahead of Vampire. Congratulations on 1st in Div and 2nd overall.

Later at the clubhouse at 3 am Don told me that he heard people saying the J/Boats would place well. I thought well I would at least be the middle of the pack. At 4.30 am I saw John Windas, fleet captain, post the results and what do you know Don was right.

Emma was first overall, a Ross 9.11 (30 footer), Natural High,J-30 was second, Vampire, J-30 was third, and Radiant Heat (that's us) was 4th over all on the long course. 5th was District 9 a J-29 and 6th overall was Limelight the final J-30. It was a good race for the J/Boats this year.

The second division was a Clean sweep for the J-30's being 1-3 as listed above. With RH a third.

Many thanks to a willing and cheerful crew, Paul, Barbel and Fred. All the hard work paid off, and it was a lovely outing however it was valued. It is a lovely part of the world and being fit enough and able to enjoy such an outing is a blessing.

Those of you that followed the link can see the progress of the race on the tracker and can get a map of the location and see the whole race as it progressed. You still can as the link will be saved and online to review. Here it is again. http://patos.swiftsure.org/

cheers

Tony

Last edited by Tony Brogan; 03/26/12 10:41 PM.
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: gmo] #13312
03/27/12 01:31 AM
03/27/12 01:31 AM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
dlabrosse Offline
dlabrosse  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well done guys! Great to hear of the good J30 success.

Dominique Labrosse
Red Five, #92
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: dlabrosse] #13338
03/30/12 02:06 PM
03/30/12 02:06 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vampire Offline
Past Pacific Northwest District Governor
Vampire  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have to say that was awesome!
What a thrill to come over the line three wide after 60 miles.

Scott on Natural high Did an amazing job. they were double handed!

So where were the other J30s?
if you look at the history of this race a J30 has almost never missed being on the podium.
The Patos Island race was made for J30s. and if you look at the results we were up against some very good boats.
Might have to make this a jfest race.

Vampire #18 Don
Bite Me
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: NaturalHigh] #13339
03/30/12 06:29 PM
03/30/12 06:29 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vampire Offline
Vampire  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Scott just to let you know that we are not normally that slow under power on Vampire.
we were trying to wait for the slow poke J29.

but your boat is looking great and very fast.

you asked me about the new stove. its a butane princess marine stove. I love it. cant say it saves much wight as I went crazy and put in a very heavy counter top.

Model 1203 Seward Princess
One Burner Built-in Butane Stove
Great Replacement of Alcohol
Compact Design
100% Safety Controls
High Heat Safety Shut-Off
Easy to Replace Gas Cartridges
Shown with optional removable Cutting Board
Folding Stainless Steel Lid
Overall size: 17-1/2W x 12-1/2D x 4-1/2H
Cut-out size: 16-3/4W x 11-3/4D x 4-1/4H
Shipping wt: 15 lbs

Last edited by Vampire; 03/30/12 06:32 PM.

Vampire #18 Don
Bite Me
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: Vampire] #13626
06/14/12 10:18 PM
06/14/12 10:18 PM
Kailua Kona, HI
last fling IV Offline
last fling IV  Offline
Kailua Kona, HI
Are you still here. I am at Kona and racing isn't great. Heaviest boat in fleet and light air. However, No more wet and cold and fishing is fun as I improve my skills. Bob

Re: Northwest one-design [Re: gmo] #13636
06/18/12 12:32 PM
06/18/12 12:32 PM
Squamish, British Columbia
NaturalHigh Offline
NaturalHigh  Offline
Squamish, British Columbia
Light winds in Hawaii? I thought it was supposed to be windy there all the time!

I am doing the Vic-Maui this year (not on a J/30 though!).

Re: Northwest one-design [Re: gmo] #13643
06/18/12 01:33 PM
06/18/12 01:33 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vampire Offline
Vampire  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok so I am getting one design invitations.

Point Roberts yacht club has asked we bring a class to there classic.
They will give us our own start.

Salt spring sailing club has said the same for the round saltspring race and the Vendee. By the way Vampire won that race last year and took third this year. Who says we are slow in light air.

Then swiftsure wants us to bring a class.
We would have had four but work pulled me away.

I would like to thank Conrad J for participating and showing well.

Whitby and J fest obviously want us but as that's south of the border I will leave that to the reginal Gov in the US

And let's not forget that amazing race in March where Scott stole the show.

In round Patos we had 4 J30s again and we owned the podium for our class and took 2nd and 3rd over all. WD Scott. Did I say he was double handed!

Then we get to the next two races.

Vendee salt spring is great fun

Me and Tony go at it again but this is a good fun race for us to see the spouses and eat all we can. The admission bearly covers the amount of food we eat!

Then the best race of the year.
Keep your eyes on this one
It's a new race that will rival all others.

The Northern Century 100. Run by Anacortes yacht club on the 25 aug. it warm breezes and a big 100mile race around San Juan islands.
We normaly have 4 boats in the J30 fleet out and the race is growing. It's only in its fifth year I think and it's awesome.

Most challenging race I have done other the Van isle.
Double handed is the way to go.

Check it out.

See you on the water.

Vampire #18 Don
Bite Me
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: Vampire] #14231
11/12/12 01:08 PM
11/12/12 01:08 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vampire Offline
Vampire  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's that time of year again when we look at getting together.

As your district Gov I would like to try and gather every one up in one spot for an hour or two to try and make a one design event happen.

Everett seems to be the center of mass for the fleet but we don't get any one north from there?

The plan is to do a meeting on a Sat evening during the boat show in Seattle.
Most of us will go any way so if we coordinate this it could work well for an annual meeting.

I need suggestions from the Seattle crowd for a location close to the show but not to close that we can't get a private function due to th show.

We won't need long.
I just want to talk about distance races.
Whitby island race week
J fest.

And the board of governors meeting.

Then we should hold an election to see if you still want me to represent you?

Let's hear who is interested and some ideas for location.

And if there is any other business to discuss

Cheers
Your Gov
Vampire

Vampire #18 Don
Bite Me
Re: Northwest one-design [Re: Vampire] #14264
11/21/12 12:17 PM
11/21/12 12:17 PM
Everett, WA
JoeBoB Offline
JoeBoB  Offline
Everett, WA
News from Everett, we went from five active racers to one: BoB. Two of the boats left the area (Circe-inland Canada; JayHawk- somewhere in Seattle), Garuda sold and has not left dock - something about engine troubles, Stellar J is into cruising mode. We still have Mystique, Sysigy, and Islandia, with Mystique sadly just gathering moss, but Sysigy and Islandia always out sailing but not racing. Makes it easy to be the fastest J-30 in our area - and if you just show up to enough club races you can hold on to the club championship for fourth year running!

Saw the Patos Island invite, and while inviting, I cannot swing it in 2013 - but will try for 2014 because it is a wonderful venue! In 2013 we will do 'Round Whidbey which is similar 70 mile race but later in the Spring. I plan on keeping the Anacortes NC100 on the must do list, but dang if moving kids to college keeps getting in the way. J-Fest? I'll give that consideration as I put together the 2103 race schedule. Other one we like is PITCH out of Bellingham the weekend after the NC100 race. Whidbey Island Race week - not for BoB - cannot even fathom asking for a weeklong kitchen pass....

If we do Swiftsure again, what course for the J-30s? I like the Neah Bay race, but being the slowest rater drops the fun factor when everyone is gone when you get back.

Re: Northwest one-design [Re: gmo] #14306
12/07/12 11:05 PM
12/07/12 11:05 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vampire Offline
Vampire  Offline
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok Joe since we have had no other intrest in a mass meeting I will go to a spam email then.

I like your idea of Pitch being the one design event.

It's half way.
Now could we drag that slug Natural High down and maybe Red five? And if you come down you might as well do the N100 the following weekend.

I am sure Tony would go if he could get crew
And same for me and Marty.

Round Whitney eh? Let me look at that.
And as for swiftsure. Well I like the short course but Tony likes the med.
But I will do which ever every one does.

I know there are more J-30's out here. I see them on the map.

Time to get theses boats off the dock people and have fun.

Vampire #18 Don
Bite Me
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Removing or Replacing Stuck Shaft
by jannickz. 04/14/24 10:40 PM
Main Halyard Sheaves
by Navy Dan. 04/12/24 09:33 PM