Discussions on everything about the J/30 Sailboat!
With your one stop source
The J/30 Marketplace
Join or Renew
Class Membership
Search

March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
zharv, Corey, Suzie, SSA-BlueJ, Liam Kersch
1017 Registered Users
Crew Manager Boat Websites

Boat Website subscriptions with
Crew Scheduling & Notifications

Created by former J/30 Rhapsody owner

J/30 Social Network
Popular Topics(Views)
976,359 Dacron Main
162,678 Ananda's Refit
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics3,983
Posts19,061
Members1,018
Most Online238
Feb 9th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Southern Straits [Re: NaturalHigh] #9251
04/07/10 01:05 PM
04/07/10 01:05 PM
Rockwood, MI, USA
Russ Atkinson Offline
Russ Atkinson  Offline
Rockwood, MI, USA
To Tony and crew.
Your efforts to assist Insicor and to rescue crew in the water deserves the highest degree of recognition and thanks from the entire boating community.
Too few of us sailors, myself included, don't or did not take safety at sea as importantly as we should. Until you live it, as you articulated so well, few appreciate the difficulties with in - water rescue.
A couple of years ago, Wildcat was the first boat on the scene after a boating tragedy in 50+ knot winds; two persons in the water (one dead) and another that dove in to assist. Like most of us, our crew had practiced MOB in calm comfortable conditions. It's not the same in harrowing conditions with 250 lbs or more of incapacitated humans. I only hope that others take away from your article, the serious nature of our sport and raise the bar on safety to the same level that most put into racing. I, for one, learned that lesson the hard way.
Tonight, North Cape Yacht Club and our non-profit North Cape Sailing School (LaSalle, Mi) will be hosting an annual "Saftey at Sea Seminar". On behalf of our Club I've been asked to thank you for what you did on the water and for your article as well as to let you know that the article will be used as part of the seminar discussion. Agian, THANK YOU!!

Re: Southern Straits [Re: Russ Atkinson] #9267
04/10/10 05:11 AM
04/10/10 05:11 AM
BC
Tony Brogan Offline
Tony Brogan  Offline
BC
I am just reviewing what you have said and where you are. It is astounding that anything I have written can be so quickly transmitted aroung the world.
Good luck with your discussions and let it all hang out and you will arrive at the correct conclusions.
Happy and safe sailing
Tony

Re: Southern Straits [Re: Rhapsody #348] #9268
04/10/10 05:19 AM
04/10/10 05:19 AM
BC
Tony Brogan Offline
Tony Brogan  Offline
BC
Hi Bill
I finally found my way in here and it is 02.18 Sat am
Is this a late or an early hour?

Tony

Re: Southern Straits [Re: dlabrosse] #9269
04/10/10 05:32 AM
04/10/10 05:32 AM
BC
Tony Brogan Offline
Tony Brogan  Offline
BC
With the second guy in the water he was less resposive. We were having trouble getting results. Then we reached into the water and pulled a leg up on the side. There were 4 of us all leaning over the side so that the boat tipped enough that freeboard was reduced to 12 inches.
Getting that leg up made a difference and the others were able to get the body up an inch at a time with a 1-2-3- HEAVE routine. as the torso came in the leg was let go as it was wrapped around a stantion and so it was pushed down into the water again and then he slid like a fish on to the boat and straight down the companion way just as the first had done.
Tony

Re: Southern Straits [Re: Tony Brogan] #9272
04/10/10 07:41 AM
04/10/10 07:41 AM
Portsmouth, RI
Rhapsody #348 Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Rhapsody #348  Offline
Past J/30 Class President
Portsmouth, RI
Originally Posted by Tony Brogan
Hi Bill
I finally found my way in here and it is 02.18 Sat am
Is this a late or an early hour?

Tony
Tony - I have found that it is never too early or too late to do anything associated with sailing! You're just on time!

Re: Southern Straits [Re: NaturalHigh] #11429
03/29/11 01:13 AM
03/29/11 01:13 AM
BC
Tony Brogan Offline
Tony Brogan  Offline
BC
Well here we are Thinking about the SS race again. Although last year was a unique experience for us it is also one we do not wish to repeat. However 3 of last years 4 crew will be going again with me as Skipper.

Since last year we have discovered a hairline crack in the engine casting that is not repairable and so we have a reconditioned engine in replacement. A few more bits and pieces have been added. Nothing much except a little heavier weight shackle or two. That explained the loss of oil and the red light coming on during the rescue last year. The mechanic found a plastic sealant underneath on the joint between the bell housing and the engine. I have always had an oil leak but not done enough motor longdistance delivery to give me a problem. I was lucky we did not seize the engine last year. Did a previous owner have a problem and try to cover it up?
Reviewing the PIYA regs for 2011 sees the requirement for crotch or leg straps for PFD and harness. As Don Millie of Vampire said. Somebody was listening.
There is still the issue of how one gets ahold of a person in the water. Assume all is at it should be for gear. MOB has PFD and harness (with leg straps ). The MOB is in the drink up to their neck. Two feet of freeboard or more on a boat and it is impossible to see the harness attchment rings on the chest and impossible to reach them. Even if the MOB is responsive it is difficult to fix anything with cold hands.
I still think all harness and PFD must have a shoulder strap that can be used to haul out the body. Now that the harness will stay attached it is the easiet place to get a hold. A boat hook could be used and any kind of line attached. Then the haulout!!
I have realized that RH does not have a strong winch on the cabin top. No two speed. This makes it impossible to lift someone by any halyard. UNLESS the halyrd is long enough to be unlead from the cabin top clutches and fairleads back to the base of the mast. Then the bitter end of the halyard can be re-fed to the main genoa car and back to the primary winch. Then it could work.

Alternatively I tie a line snuggly around the mast above the gooseneck and attach a snatch block. Then the line attached to the MOB can be popped into the block on the mast and as the bitter end is probably tied to the boat,the loop of the line fed through the head sail fairlead and back to the primary winch,
Using the winch means a single person could do the rescue with dropped sils in a mess and the helm tied hard over to stop boat forward movement as much as possible.

Interesting in that the race committees have ammended the crotch/leg strap requirement to advisable. It was suggested people need time to adjust to the new regs. I wonder what they are waiting for.

We will be at the pre race dinner and it will be good to see Clint Currie and crew of Incisor and have a toast to good fortune for all.

We are pleased to be in from the Patos Island race and place second in Div and 8th overall in the 67 milelong race against some pretty fast boats. We hopr for a pleasant sail in the Southern Straits 2011.

BTY Thank you for all the kind comments last year. As I said . we were just happy to be able to help.

Cheers
Tony

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  David Erwin 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Photos
2023 Clipper Cup - Conundrum USA32866
Windy Wednesday night
Hurricane Gulch San Pedro, CA
Truckin'
Endeavour (246) Sailing in Prince Edward Island
Recent Posts
Hull # 229 Falcon parts for sale
by Sunrise. 03/16/24 08:26 PM
Adjusting Throttle & Transmission Controls
by Rhapsody #348. 03/10/24 08:25 AM