J/30 Class Association

Trailer pics

Posted By: Scott

Trailer pics - 09/11/07 06:58 PM

I'm working on getting a trailer built for my boat. It looks like the builder is going with 3 axles. Anyone have pictures of their boats on the trailer? With or without 3 axles? I'd like to see how everything looks and possibly help with the placement of the axles in relation to the boat.

Thanks
Posted By: Trouble

Re: Trailer pics - 09/12/07 02:52 AM

I have some photos of my boat on it's trailer where do you want them emailed?
Posted By: Phantom364

Re: Trailer pics - 09/12/07 04:26 PM

I have a picture of the trailer I modified to fit the j. where would you like it sent
John

Originally posted by Scott:
I'm working on getting a trailer built for my boat. It looks like the builder is going with 3 axles. Anyone have pictures of their boats on the trailer? With or without 3 axles? I'd like to see how everything looks and possibly help with the placement of the axles in relation to the boat.

Thanks
Posted By: Scott

Re: Trailer pics - 09/12/07 04:42 PM

Thanks for your replies. You can use the email that is in the little email icon by my name.

Thanks again!
Posted By: JerryAtwell

Re: Trailer pics - 09/13/07 12:47 PM

I purchased a Triad 5700-7900 Lb. model in 1995 for J/30 AEOLUS #085. This trailer is well built and has served very well. Built of 7", 6" and 5" structrual C channel, 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron, schedule 40 pipe. Tandem 5,200# axle: 3" diameter axle tube with 4" drop. Four 12" x 2 1/4" electric brakes with Dico 25,000# coupler. Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 tires on white mini-mod "E-Coat wheels. Fulton 2000# front jack with removable swivel caster wheel. Two Bulldog Topwind 2000# rear corner jacks. 5/16" proof coil safety chain. All lights are fully submersible (still lift off only). Eight screw poppet pads. Substantial keel support. 4 tiedown loops. Triad has been building boat trailers for 30 years. Michael Orro will be happy to meet and exceed your needs. A complete web site will show their purducts. AEOLUS photo to follow. http://www.triadtrailers.com/
Posted By: JerryAtwell

Re: Trailer pics - 09/13/07 12:54 PM

Correction: Those are 9.5 x 16.5LT tires on 16.5 x 6.75 rims. Very well built. If to do it again, would add a 5th poppet each side for more balanced support.
Posted By: JBro

Re: Trailer pics - 09/13/07 10:40 PM

FWIW - Before buying my J/30 locally in Seattle, I was looking at some boats on the east coast. The ecomomics of commercial transport made actually buying a trailer for a 1-way haul (and either keep or sell) more viable. Fortunately, I found the right boat in town and didn't need to buy a trailer.

However, some insight from my research:

- the Triad folks are great. Had I needed a new one, I felt very comfortable with having them build what I needed. Very helpful and good people from my initial discussions. I've looked closely at some of their trailers in the yard and they've very nice.

- You might consider buying a used trailer as well. J/29 trailers are a logical alternative and I have been *told* (can't confirm) that J/105 trailers can be easily adapted for the J/30. So, maybe find an owner that doesn't travel with their boat anymore?

Cheers,
- Jeff

J/30 #426

[This message has been edited by JBro (edited 09-13-2007).]
© 2024 J/30 Class Association