J/30 Class Association

spinnaker pole bridles

Posted By: zeppo

spinnaker pole bridles - 10/29/10 01:44 AM

I have always used poles with bridles, then I read an article that stated "If you don't have to use them, don't". In the interests of minimalist, efficient rigging/layout I have removed them and re-rigged the pole so the topping and downhaul attach mid-pole. This seems more efficient however does this set up compromise the integrity of the pole? Also has this issue been resolved within the rules? Couldn't find an answer.
Posted By: dbows

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 10/30/10 12:06 AM

Forte built my pole with the D rings - I assume they know what they are doing. I (I say I like I am up there on the foredeck) would not go back to a bridle because it makes the foredeck so much easier to deal with.

DB

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 10/30/10 11:36 PM

So you are attaching your topping lift and downhaul to rings situated at the mid point of the pole?
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 10/31/10 01:05 AM

Yes - here is a link to a Mallorca picture taken at the 2010 NAs. You can see the center attachment point on the spinnaker pole.

The picture below is the same Forte carbon pole on Rhapsody but with traditional bridals

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

OT: Mainsheet boom bail - 10/31/10 04:42 PM

Off topic, but I noticed Mallorca using a mainsheet, part of which is not attached to the boom bail. This is contrary to class rules, but given Rhapsody's experience in Disaster waiting to happen is it something the class should consider allowing?

Poking around in the pictures, I'm surprised to see Fuzzy Wuzzy doesn't even have a bail. Time to have the measurer clarify this and/or enforce the rules.

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/01/10 10:11 PM

Since there appears to be at least one person who endorses the "no bridle" concept, and that is the route I have gone what choice do I have but to field test it? My pole is aluminum, and has seen better days so I don't really mind using it in a sacrificial manner. From the photo of Mallorca showing the mid-pole attachment for topping and downhaul it appears that there is something wrapped around the pole, to which the rings are attached, the reason I ask about this is that I attached the rings to my pole using three wraps of two sided velcro, my concern here is that this wrap may slide aft under load since it is not fixed to the pole (as in riveted, glued) it is simply wrapped tightly around the pole.
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/01/10 11:19 PM

we use velcro on the clew of the main instead of a slide because it does seem to slide a bit better than a slide ... but velcro doesn't do all that well in sunlight as we see down here in FL. New piece every year is required. With a pole left out in the sun daily ... I wouldn't use velcro.

However lashing, using a decent rope, has worked for thousands of years. I was impressed with the photo showing how Fuzzy Wuzzy uses it on the boom to attach the main sheet.

Related: remember that most booms break at the attachment for the vang, and that should tell us something about hard attachments at mid points.

Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/02/10 07:06 PM

Are you thinking velcro is enough to attach the J/30 mainsheet to the boom? Load estimated by Harken is about 900 lbs in 20 knots, 2000 lbs in 30. More likely a nylon or spectra strap.
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/02/10 10:57 PM

not on mainsheet ... was looking at the Fuzzy Wuzzy attachment to the boom referred to in earlier post ... looks like spectra or dyneema? 4x around with two block attachment points ... and another similar lash for the clew. I'm betting its dyneema.

Bill pointed out this summer to me that the velcro strap we both use for the clew is wrapped around 3x. and that is just to keep the clew tucked a bit closer to the boom.

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/02/10 11:18 PM

The strap used on Rhapsody for the main clew isn't just velcro. I think it is actually reinforced with something. It was provided by the sail maker. As Vic states, it is wrapped 3 times around through the clew grommet.

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/03/10 12:47 AM

I'm trying to find out if Mallorca has used a velcro wrap to attach the topping/downhaul rings to the spinnaker pole. If so has there been a problem with the wrap sliding back on the pole? I would never use a velcro wrap to attach the mainsheet to the boom.

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/03/10 02:07 AM

I found an old email about the center pick point from Clint Rand at Forte Carbon Fiber Products. Excerpts below.

The center point pick is simply two D rings lashed to the center of the pole. Typical trip line layout is to have both trip lines tied together and routed through the top center point pick ring, however, we have also built poles with separate trip lines ending about 2/3 of the way down the pole - so there is overlap in the center. We are happy to do either, but if not specified the customer would get the former. We offer vectran bridles in place of the center point pick for $100 additional.
Posted By: dbows

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/03/10 11:54 AM

The D rings are lashed tightly with line. There is enough texture from the carbon layup that tightly wrapped line gets a "grip" on the pole. The lashing is probably 2" wide so it has a pretty good footprint and spreads the loads.
Posted By: gmo

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/03/10 10:01 PM

On Slingshot, our bridal broke once sailing in around 25kts of breeze. We rigged up a ring to the center of the pole using some spare velcro. It worked, but it was damn scary watching the old aluminum pole flex with the gusts. I bet the tip of the pole was traveling a good foot with the up and down hauls on tight. I guess carbon fiber is stiffer, so doesn't flex as much (they use it on bow sprits, after all).

I wonder how much power you give up to pole flex, that would otherwise be sent through the bridal directly to the boat...

Re: spinnaker pole bridles - 11/04/10 02:36 AM

the consensus seems to be that aluminum poles without bridles will bend at hotter angles in higher apparent winds, whereas carbon poles even if they deflect a bit are less prone to failure. Looks like it's back to bridles (or maybe a carbon pole) Just installed a Harken windward sheeting car/track so the pole will need to wait.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association