J/30 Class Association

Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences?

Posted By: JBro

Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 04/29/11 11:58 PM

Hi all-

Tried searching a few different terms but couldn't find a thread about this. Has anyone replaced their bowmar hatches with Lewmar (Ocean or Medium Profile)? If so, does anyone know the specific models/sizes/config?

I vaguely recall reading something some time ago that one of the lines will drop right in with minimal grinding/filling in tne non-flanged config...

Also - I believe the main salon/head hatches are the Lewmar 10 and the foredeck the Lewmar 60... Would be great to confirm if anyone has done this switch.

Thanks!
- Jeff
Posted By: JeffSmithNJphoto

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 04/30/11 10:29 PM

Hi Jeff,

I replaced the 2 small Bomars with (size 10, I think) Low Profile Lewmars, which were the last 2 on clearance from Defender. I needed to cut out the deck opening about 3/8 on all sides, but it was all in solid glass - no core. I sanded and painted the exposed deck edge below the frame for a pro installation look.

With compound and a polisher the ugly forward Bomar cleaned up nicely. I did not remove the light from the plastic frame and grid, because I was afraid it might leak after I "fixed" it.

Silicone was used to bed all of the hatches - leak proof the first time.

This was probably one of the easier jobs on my long list this year...

Regards,

Jeff

Posted By: dbows

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 05/04/11 08:07 PM

You can replace them with out cutting the deck. You need the Lemar without a flange. They mount flush to the deck. Not sure if the low-profile comes without a flange. But they are perfect matches with the stock opening.

DB

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 05/05/11 04:25 AM

Thanks Jeff and David! That helps - appreciate the wisdom. Time to do a final measure and place an order.

Thanks!
- Jeff
Posted By: bmdoyle

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 05/05/11 02:14 PM

Jeff -- If you'd be so kind as to let me know what you ordered, and more importantly, if they fit, I would appreciate it.

Good luck,
Brian
Posted By: dbows

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 05/05/11 08:22 PM

I used the Lewmar Ocean 10s without the flat base to replace the old small Bomars. I had to fill the old holes with epoxy and then re-drill new holes for the Lemar's. Not a hard job at all.

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8016&lid=25097

DB

Posted By: dlabrosse

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 08/09/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBro
Thanks Jeff and David! That helps - appreciate the wisdom. Time to do a final measure and place an order.

Thanks!
- Jeff

Jeff how did this work out for you? Specifically which hatches did you end up ordering and how smooth was the installation?

Regards,
Dominique
Posted By: JPByrne

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 08/10/15 02:26 PM

I installed the Lewmar Open Ocean hatch without flange on Mithril last summer and it has been great. Easy job. I used 4200 and also had to fill in old holes and redrill.

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 09/08/15 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by JPByrne
I installed the Lewmar Open Ocean hatch without flange on Mithril last summer and it has been great. Easy job. I used 4200 and also had to fill in old holes and redrill.

Was this for the V-berth hatch or the small head/salon hatch? Either way which size did you use. My hatches are done and I want to replace them this winter. Just need to get a handle on which hatches to order

After looking at the different Lewmars this weekend I would like to try the low or medium profiles versions but I'm not sure if they'll fit without modifying the deck. A little more research is required I guess.
Posted By: JPByrne

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 09/08/15 07:27 PM

It was the V Berth and I used the lewmar ocean 60 without a flange. From prior posts the other hatches would be the 10. I do not know if the lower profile hatches fit as well. I am hoping to replace the two smaller ones next season.

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 09/08/15 08:19 PM

Hi there-

Sorry for the slow response.

I used the Ocean series. As suggested, the other models a.) don't fit as cleanly and b.) aren't as solid as the Ocean hatch. I used the non-flange model. Folks that have used the flange model had to grind fiberglass to make them fit. Seemed excessive to me.

I removed the old hatch, filled the existing Bowmar holes with a thickened epoxy (thick enough not to run everywhere, think enough to fill any voids).

I'm more of a Sikaflex fan than 4200. I used that, new fasteners as per spec that came with the hatch that required new holes.

I did it in a two-day period that was dry. Pulled old hatch, cleaned deck area of residual sealant, and filled old holes. Tarped/covered the hatch over night for epoxy to kick. Then, next AM, came back and faired/fix any little epoxy areas that may have expanded out of the holes, etc., located hatch, drilled new holes (mark your drill bit - you don't want to go through the deck if I recall), layed down a nice bead of sealant, and tightened new fasteners in an opposite/alternating pattern.

Hope this helps! It's well worth the change. So much better.

Also - depending on the chandlery you're going through, check to make sure they have the hatches in stock. Lewmar, being a UK-based vendor, may have to ship these which can take a while...

Good luck!
- Jeff
Posted By: Skimmer

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 09/09/15 03:52 PM

I replaced all my hatches with Lewmar when I bought Skimmer in 2000.
I just chose what seemed the closest in size. Regular not low profile.
All worked out great, no cutting. No leaks.

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 09/11/15 02:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks. I've found a deal on an Ocean series 60 hatch for the V-berth and will be ordering the Ocean series 10s to replace the head and salon hatches. I have noticed however that the cutout size for the ocean 10 series is supposed to be 10 1/16 x 10 1/16. I measured my head and salon hatch openings and they measured 9 5/8 inches square. I am worried that the smaller opening might interfere with the hinges and handles.

Can any of you who installed the Ocean 10s verify your hatch opening dimensions? Just want to be super careful before ordering.
Posted By: Sumner_Parker

Re: Replacing Bowmar Hatches with Lewmar - experiences? - 02/29/16 01:16 AM

I am rebedding the forward hatch. Which to use: Sikaflex, 4200 or butyl tape?
© 2024 J/30 Class Association