J/30 Class Association

Spinnaker ring on deck

Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Spinnaker ring on deck - 12/27/11 10:49 PM

So OK ... after seeing the 13 year old fumble with a place to latch on the pole to the deck ... I found
maybe working ebay link
that was offering basically a $.01 + $9 postage spinnaker ring.

So I bid $3 and now have a $12 ring to hold the spin pole where it seems to be most practical on the deck.

the ebayer seems to be running this auction continously ... so if you decide to get one ... just keep biding at a low ball price until you get it.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't seem to interfere with the slide that we attach the blocks for the blade in operation. The green line is the second spin halyard, also a nice place to keep it stored.

The white with green tracer is the pole lift which we keep attached to the pole. The other green line on the deck is the pole downhaul which we also keep attached to the pole.

Description: using spin ring on deck for storage
Attached File
ePC250002.jpg  (671 downloads)

Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/05/12 01:38 PM

I noticed that these rings are still being shipped for $9 with bids under $3 ... and working well for pole anchors on deck ... with our blade they don't interfere with the sheet blocks when the blade is being used. I've also noticed that some other boats are using them as anchors for spare halyards.
Posted By: Groovin

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/06/12 01:31 AM

Well i just bid the $3 with 14 for shippingf Vic lets see what happens. I need one!
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/06/12 02:15 AM

I just bid on one that has $9 shipping. Glad to see we aren't bidding against each other!

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/06/12 01:19 PM

roger, roger ... I have 4 of them ... these are chinese and the seller is a rep for some chinese SS maker.
the cheapest one I got was $.01 + $ 9 shipping. no need to rush this as he has been listing them for the last year or so with two or three coming up every week, sometimes with no starting bid at $.01.

I use two because I'm running two spin halyards, one based on each ring. and the pole gets preset to port for a port pole launch. also use the port ring for the anchor of the second jib halyard ... which we use for the jenny sock.

the $14 ship is something new.

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/10/12 12:35 PM

Just won this spinnaker pole ring on ebay for $12.76 shipped.

[Linked Image]

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/10/12 01:21 PM

I just got a note i lost! We were bidding for the same one! haha guess I'll try again. let me no if you are going for another!

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/10/12 11:08 PM

Nope - I got just one that I need. There are two active now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spinnaker-P...Gear&hash=item519e085a3c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spinnaker-P...Gear&hash=item519e0c4e6a&vxp=mtr

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/11/12 02:22 AM

Ok this is what it looks like all together.

[Linked Image]

PS ... these fittings have been listed this way for over a year ... on a weekly basis ... don't get carried away on bids.
I wouldn't use it for a base for a block ... but for a easy to use spin pole holder, and miscellaneous attachment ring.

Description: J30 short deck slide in optional use
Attached File
eIMG_0102.jpg  (416 downloads)
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/11/12 07:01 PM

Isn't all that stuff going to catch a jib sheet during a tack or do you slide all of it back on the track behind the shroud base? Hard to tell from the picture. If you clip the inboard end of the pole inside the lower shroud turnbuckle the pole sits lower than what appears in the picture, at the intersection of the side deck and rising side of the doghouse.

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/11/12 11:44 PM

it's all at the forward end of the short track and just back of the shrouds ... so far blade sheets blow over the top without a problem ... we have a roller furling kicking the blade foot probably 7 in. higher than you would normally see it. but this position seems to work for blade shape.

The pole is always left rigged as that is standard part of our day sailing. The ring seems to be easier for crew to attach to when anchoring the pole lift into the jaws. we get a lot of rotating crew during the season so making it easy is our point.

What I didn't show when at the slip, there is more attached to that ring ... two snapshackles that hold the front edge of two fenders. the tails of those fenders are looped on the Launch Cleat ... which when in Newport was good to have as the launch drivers like to rope on to stanchions not necessarily at the base.

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/17/12 12:28 PM

Well I was successful and now have one! It will be nice to have a place to clip the pole easier. I did not heed your advice Vic as whenever i bid it kept going up by 20c automatically so just nailed it for $7! I know thats like twice what you paid no patience!

Re: Spinnaker ring on deck, pole anchor - 03/17/12 12:54 PM

you kids are all alike ... next you'll be spending $10K for a set of OD sails you'll only use maybe one regatta a year.

wait ... that is too far fetched ... even for me to think about.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association