J/30 Class Association

towing the J/30

Posted By: Russ Atkinson

towing the J/30 - 06/07/12 05:46 PM

It's now official, wildcat has a trailer sitting at the yacht club. It's a Triad with electric brakes that was made for a J/30.

Only issue is I've never towed anything, ever. I've read the article about towing that is on the web page but would like some further guidance and advice.
According to what I've read on line, towing laws state anything over 8'6" wide requires permits. So, first question, do those of you towing j/30's normally pull permits?
Next question, the trailer came with weight distribution bars but not the trailer hitch peice. Would you recommend the distribution bars - if so I'll need to replace the hitch plate that the bars to which the bars attach? How about anit-sway bars? Any other advise is more than welcome too.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: towing the J/30 - 06/07/12 05:55 PM

Russ,

I recommend giving John McArthur of Smiles a call. He's listed on the BOG page and has lots of experience towing his and other J/30s.
Posted By: Patrick Peters

Re: towing the J/30 - 06/08/12 03:08 AM

Russ,

I towed mine through the Canadian Rockies (from Ontario to the BC coast). I'd say the distribution bars or an equalizer hitch are a must, it will minimize the "bucking" rhythm that often happens pulling a long load. an anti-sway bar is nice too, but I rarely use it. anything to keep you out of the ditch. Most important though is the tow vehicle. a heavy duty truck will have heavy duty brakes and steering components. the worst thing is having a light truck being pushed around by a heavy trailer. Adjust the brakes before a trip or have someone qualified do it for you, and a permit is cheaper than a fine.
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: towing the J/30 - 06/08/12 02:14 PM

On the 1500 mile commerical haul trip from Newport to Naples there was one state that required a overwide follow car ... and a couple of states that had time zones where they couldn't drive during traffic rush hours.
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: towing the J/30 - 06/13/12 06:22 PM

of course you can get away from those regs by just taking the keel off and tipping it sideways.

[Linked Image]

Attached File
eIMG_0009.jpg  (410 downloads)
© 2024 J/30 Class Association