J/30 Class Association

Engine warning Light

Posted By: Sean

Engine warning Light - 06/23/14 11:09 AM

Hi All,
I'm the proud new owner of a J/30 as of this weekend. The boat needs some work as she was neglected for the last 2+ years, however I can't wait to dig in and get her back in form.

One of the issues I'm having is that the yanmar engine (original) purrs along fine and starts without issue, however when I stop her and then go to start her again after awhile (For example getting her fueled up and getting underway again) the second (Middle) light comes on, on the engine panel and the alarm sounds non-stop. The panel is Type "A" I believe

Three warning lights, starter button above the, key switch and alarm buzzer below the lights to the left.

From the manual it indicates that this is a charging issue. As a test, I took a reading at the battery with the engine in idle and read 13.8 volts (Should be 14, however does .2 of a volt make a difference?).

Has anyone seen this before and possible can provide me some insite?

Is this def. a charging fault warning? I was concerned that it was an overheat issue (The names have weathered off of the lights of course), however it is pumping water and after running it for about an hour the water was about luke warm to the touch and didn't increase in temp.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance,

-=Sean=-
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Engine warning Light - 06/23/14 11:18 AM

Sean,

That is exactly the problem I had on Rhapsody a few years back. Turns out it was clogged water passages in the engine. Go to my Rhapsody engine rebuild page and download the presentation for reading.

What hull number do you have now? I'll update the class database and send you a link for your boat.

Re: Engine warning Light - 06/25/14 01:35 AM

Sean,

Per the PM I sent you, this is the instrument panel I have on Rhapsody.
[Linked Image]

From right to left the alarm indicators are Charge, Cooling Water and Oil Pressure. Is this the same panel you have?
Posted By: Jangles13

Re: Engine warning Light - 06/25/14 11:30 AM

Quick side note: what's the toggle switch for? Simply panel illumination? Or is there a glow-plug? Mine doesn't seem to do anything... at least from my observation.

Re: Engine warning Light - 06/25/14 12:20 PM

The toggle switch is multifunction for tachometer illumination, alarm test and alarm cutout.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association