J/30 Class Association

Furler line routing

Posted By: Jangles13

Furler line routing - 07/06/14 11:36 PM

Installed a Harken unit this weekend, and will be placing fairleads of some nature for the line back to the cockpit. Wondering how everyone w/furlers have the line run, and what they like or wish were different.

First thought is to run it aft on the port deck using bulls-eye fairleads, mirrored to the spin pole downhaul (downf***er) to a cam-cleat just port of the jib-halyard clutches. Ala J105.

I don't favor running along the lifelines, as crew hiking would interfere and often it's hard to be forward-facing during furling.

Suggestions please...

PS if anyone is aware of an adhesive fairlead product, please tell. I would like to avoid drilling more holes.
Posted By: Bob Rude

Re: Furler line routing - 07/07/14 08:00 PM

On our boat, Mmmmm, we have a Harken roller furler unit. We run the lines down the inside of the starboard lifelines, terminating about 3/4 ths of the way back to the cockpit...maybe even further. The lines are lead through small Harken bullet blocks. The last block is a larger ratcheted Harken block that is affixed to the forward-most section of the starboard side of the stern pulpit. There is a small cleat affixed to the deck which is used to tie off the furler line. The extra line is coiled and hung on the stern pulpit with a Velcro strap.

Bob Rude
Mmmmm
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: Furler line routing - 07/07/14 08:38 PM

the biggest problem is clearing the hatch ... before you drill for a fair lead ... we have worked with a small block at the pole foredeck anchor which then went to a small block on a slide on the inner jib track back to a harken 150. I'd vote for the mirror image of the pole downhaul line.

Coming into a mooring I like to have as little in the way of bringing in the pickup as possible ... so line led straight back and then a turn to clear the hatch so we can launch spin without it over the edge of the hatch.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association