J/30 Class Association

Bronze Rudder Pin?

Posted By: CAN106

Bronze Rudder Pin? - 03/26/16 10:17 PM

Perhaps the DPO replaced my pintles and gudgeons, but my rudder pins are a little smaller than RigRite thinks they should be for a j30.

Mine look like they were made of bronze, are 2cm (0.787" ... About 50/64") diameter and have a working length of about 2.75". Can't find a brand stamp on any of the rudder parts.

Will have replacements machined or find a bushing. Was wondering if there are some known variants like mine?
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Bronze Rudder Pin? - 03/26/16 11:42 PM

Corey,

The pintles and gudgeons on Rhapsody were very worn so I had a machine shop bore the gudgeons and turn down the pintles. They inserted via press fit custom marine bronze bushings to take out all the play, and also provided a spare pair of bushings that could be inserted when the originals were worn.

Happily Rhapsody's new owner has these now....

Re: Bronze Rudder Pin? - 03/26/16 11:50 PM

Thanks Bill, helpful as always.

I can imagine the bushin pressed through the gudgeons on the rudder and the turned down pin too. What did you do with the transom gudgeons (which are still gudgeons, right....soooo confusing)?
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Bronze Rudder Pin? - 03/27/16 02:40 AM

Corey - all hardware removed from rudder and transom with pins and provided to machine shop. Bushings were made for rudder side and transom side, not a single sleeve - clearance inside for slightly turned down pins.

Re: Bronze Rudder Pin? - 03/27/16 12:14 PM

Thanks Bill. enjoy that j/109!
© 2024 J/30 Class Association