J/30 Class Association

Propane Locker

Posted By: Coastie

Propane Locker - 01/23/18 03:25 AM

I tried to use an old thread that had an unrelated title on water in the bilge. My question is about a propane locker and the options.

>>>>>>>>>>

I need to resurrect this thread. On MaJic Carpet the lazarettes both have a storage box inside them, neither has any kind of drain to the outside of the hull. I do want to use the stove so need to sort out a solution. I'm having a hard time seeing any easy solutions to this problem. On some cruising boats I have noticed that the tanks are actually mounted on the transom, not a very elegant solution. I was thinking about just securing the tank inside the cockpit and using the scuppers for the venting, but that seems to fail the drain being 20" away from any other opening.
Posted By: Patrick Stinson

Re: Propane Locker - 09/11/20 07:59 AM

I am also curious if anyone can suggest a propane tank and locker. It looks like the port lazarette once had a tank mounted in it.
Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Re: Propane Locker - 09/11/20 02:01 PM

The new design cockpit/cabin arrangement has a propane storage locker in the cockpit. Can't speak to the old configuration
Posted By: Brian Kelly

Re: Propane Locker - 09/11/20 03:04 PM

I am told that the new deck design started at hull 452 and the new cabin layout started at hull 455. We have hull 454 which is new deck old cabin.
Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Re: Propane Locker - 09/12/20 01:05 AM

We have one Quarter berth which is on the Starboard side. We have a propane locker all the way aft on the starboard side but no storage locker. Apparently the tweener boats aren't quite the same
Posted By: Rob Van Name

Re: Propane Locker - 09/12/20 09:49 PM

This one is gigantic & expensive but includes the tank:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3473225
Posted By: NaturalHigh

Re: Propane Locker - 09/22/20 10:47 PM

If you look closely, the storage boxes in the lazarette do drain into the cockpit with a hole. Not really big enough for a full size tank though. This is where I keep my green bbq cans though when cruising because there is an "outside drain"
© 2024 J/30 Class Association