J/30 Class Association

Changing out wire main and Jib halyard

Posted By: Pabs

Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 04/22/18 06:29 PM

Whats the best way to do this?

I don't think the connection between the wire and the rope will go through the mast sheave so I guess the only option would be is to cut the end with the shackle on and pull through the mast exit point? Or have you guys been able to pull it through the sheave? I haven't been up the mast but my rigger who did the inspection told me I can use the existing ones.

Thanks
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 04/22/18 10:05 PM

The rope should pass through no problem. The sheaves should be changed because the grove for the wire will abraid the rope cover.

Re: Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 04/23/18 07:49 PM

Where can I find the sizes of the Sheaves I may as well replace them all.

Posted By: fcd

Re: Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 04/28/18 12:31 AM

The masthead is the same as a J/24, except there are two. Good luck changing the inner one with the mast up, I had trouble with it with the mast down. It has to come up from the bottom, and the masthead is pretty small. I thought I bought mine from http://www.apsltd.com/J24-Sparcraft-Welded-in-Masthead-Parts.html but the sheave I got was aluminum. For the jib halyard box, I was able to move around unused sheaves, so I only had to replace a couple. On the older box in order to replace those you have to pull the box out and find someone who can rivet new ones in.

Re: Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 05/21/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rhapsody #348
The rope should pass through no problem. The sheaves should be changed because the grove for the wire will abraid the rope cover.

I checked the sheave it seams good still no groove where the wire is. Should I be able to pull the wire spliced part of the rope through the sheave? maybe I am not pulling hard enough?
Posted By: Steve Buzbee

Re: Changing out wire main and Jib halyard - 05/22/18 03:31 PM

I switched to rope from wire years ago without changing sheaves and have had no issues with chafe. And you should be able to pull the wire/rope splice through without too much trouble.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association