J/30 Class Association

Masthead and Steaming light not working.

Posted By: Pabs

Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/01/18 01:45 PM

Hi, I went up the mast to figure out why my masthead light wasn't working to find I don't actually have one installed even though my panel says I do. Is this normal?

Also my Steaming and deck light appears to not work either all corroded inside. does anyone have a cheap fix for removing the corrosion or should bite the bullet and replace it.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/01/18 03:15 PM

Normal that there isn't a masthead light. Bite the bullet and replace the steaming light. If it is anything like I had on Rhapsody, you'll find the mast wire is all brittle and needs to be replaced with good marine grade tinned wire too.

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/01/18 03:58 PM

Do you not require a masthead light for night racing? I guess you can use your steaming light for anchoring.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/01/18 09:04 PM

No - see inland rule #25 for required lights on a sailing vessel.
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/02/18 04:34 PM

Windex light is helpful at night. Looks like they now have an LED version, but holding out for Davis create one with a self contained battery and solar cell to eliminate the wiring.
Posted By: Coastie

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/03/18 01:11 AM

I just added the combination masthead and deck light and then also got the cage to go around it. My mast had the remnants of the wiring for this light but I am pretty sure these lights take a lot of abuse. I attached the cage with Monel rivets rather than screws to further increase the strength of the cage. To wire this combination light requires a three conductor wire.

[Linked Image]

Attached File
20180502_180223_resize.jpg  (318 downloads)

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/03/18 03:16 PM

Hi Coastie,

I have three wires at the moment coming out of the mast to the steaming light. I think two white and one black would I need to add to that? they are separately controlled back to my electrical board.

Thanks

Paul
Posted By: Coastie

Re: Masthead and Steaming light not working. - 05/03/18 06:47 PM

That sounds like what you need, if the wire is actually in reasonably good condition. Black is the hot lead and the two whites are the switched lines. Going to LED also means you don't mind using the deck light even when just sitting at the dock. This light just loves to get tangled in lines and sails, so take some steps to keep it on the mast.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association