J/30 Class Association

Way Too Much Fun

Posted By: Coastie

Way Too Much Fun - 07/10/18 03:37 AM

Ok, the fun has moved way up a notch or two on MaJic Carpet. The epoxy primer has been applied. I can barely still move my arms and my back is telling me to jump head first into the hot tub. There have been too many projects that have sent me to the bottom of my hot tub I can't recall them all. But currently the big one is that the local sailing club that decided to make me the Commodore of has a trip up--river on the mighty Columbia river. So i am beating my head out to get through the punch list of projects to get this old boat oat back out on the riveR[Linked Image]r.[Linked Image]

Attached File
Attached File
20180709_171645_resize.jpg  (392 downloads)

Re: Way Too Much Fun - 07/10/18 03:48 AM

Old boats are so much more attractive when they are painted in colors that suit their demeanor, don't you think?

This is one old fast boat that has not lived beyond her time.....................
Posted By: lumpy

Re: Way Too Much Fun - 07/13/18 01:42 AM

Seasoned, Mature, Experienced, or Classic BUT NOT OLD BOAT.

Re: Way Too Much Fun - 07/13/18 04:54 PM

Ok, I can go with seasoned. Now if the dang wind would stop blowing around here I could actually spray the boat red.

Re: Way Too Much Fun - 07/14/18 08:41 PM

Where do hot red boats fit in the scheme of things? Just sprayed two coats of Awlcraft 2000 Acrylic and got really good results for a rank amatuer. For sure there are problems to fix and the bugs really wanted to die in this paint for some reason. But the whole point of the Awlcraft is the ease of repair and the ability to perfect the finish with buffing etc.

To do the two coats on the hull took almost exactly one gallon of this base paint plus the converter at the mix ratio of 2 to 1.. I bought two gallons so there wouldn't be much chance of running out and so I would have paint to work with on future repairs. This is Toreador Red and is a custom color and it took my supplier Fisheries in Seattle almost a month to get this made up for me. I still have to do the top of the rudder and eyebrows on the deck, so will be using a little more yet. I used a DeVilbiss pressure pot sprayer and it worked really well once I got used to it.

I have had several strong suggestions to add the blue boot stripe, but my back is killing me and it is time to get this boat back in the water. If I decide the blue is required I will start with the tape and go from there. There will be lots of opportunities in the future to tweak this color scheme.

You will be seeing this boat coming in your rear view mirror for quite a while.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached File
_MG_0134a_resize.JPG  (308 downloads)
Attached File
_MG_0133a_resize.JPG  (332 downloads)

Re: Way Too Much Fun - 08/06/18 04:55 PM

A friend of mine has taken to calling MaJic Carpet the Red sled that seems appropriate.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association