J/30 Class Association

head sink hand pump

Posted By: Coastie

head sink hand pump - 08/06/18 04:30 PM

One of the few things that didn't work on our last trip out was the hand pump head sink. no idea why not, but it just couldn't get primed and move water. THe Galley sink works gang busters. Is there something that needs to get rebuilt? I removed the handle to see what I could see, but ntothing was obvious. I am also not seeing a similar new hand pump faucet All reccommendations are appreciated.
Posted By: nathankt79

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/06/18 05:29 PM

I haven't yet got a chance to really familiarize myself with the hand pumps on these boats. However, if you can't get prime, I would first check fittings for possible air leaks. After that, assuming that you have water to pump (its not too low), there should be rebuild kits to replace seals and perhaps a diaphragm.

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/07/18 05:24 AM

Water tank is nearly full, but all of the supply lines are new, so I will check the hose clamps and fittings. A little hard to imagine that the pump itself could wear out,this sink is littlr used compared to the galley sink.s
Posted By: nathankt79

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/07/18 12:09 PM

I would imagine it is probably air getting into one of the fittings that you moved installing the new lines...or one that directly has to do with the lines. The pump could fail just sitting...especially if things were left to dry out. I hope that its just a matter of tightening up things...Oh, another thing to consider...I've actually had things leak that were tightened too much as well. Just some things to consider.
Posted By: Pabs

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/08/18 03:17 PM

Okay so what I did to get mine working was I know this docent sound great but i put suction on on the water out end and pumped until the water came through and it has worked ever since.

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/08/18 04:46 PM

That makes sense to me and I will try to figure out how to apply some suction to the end of the faucet. lots of pumps can't prime themselves. I had though about this, just could' figure out an easy way to provide some suction. might be as simple as getting a lentgh of rubber hose and sucking on it.
Posted By: Derek Storm

Re: head sink hand pump - 08/22/18 03:16 PM

I put a check valve in the water line. Sometimes (rarely) still loose prime, seems like when the pump handle is not left back. Suction by mouth works.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association