J/30 Class Association

Electrics failed

Posted By: Pabs

Electrics failed - 10/22/18 03:00 AM

My Electrics have suddenly failed and I can't work out why. I gad an issue with my nav lights and i thought i had found the issue. When I went to turn them on everything switched off my panel appears to not be getting any power and I can't work out why as I have power going to my engine and peering the engine panel. Thoughts????
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Electrics failed - 10/22/18 10:42 AM

There is a fuse holder buried in the harness near the battery switch on the output of the selector switch. It probably has corroded internally and needs to be replaced. Many boats have exhibited this problem.

Re: Electrics failed - 10/23/18 01:46 AM

Found it!! thanks so much also found that my navigation wire is toast. Do you know what cable I should use to replace it? 14 or 12 gauge?

Re: Electrics failed - 10/23/18 05:39 PM

How much current does it take and what is the length of the run?

Re: Electrics failed - 10/23/18 06:50 PM

Its a 30' run in total and the lights are LED unfortunately I can't find what there current usage is.
Posted By: nathankt79

Re: Electrics failed - 10/24/18 12:26 PM

I'm not an electrician, but I would go with the #12 wire...runs cooler, has less current drop over length, and can take a higher amp draw without resulting in excess heat or load on the unit. However, when in doubt, replace it with what was there if it worked that way for a long time.
Posted By: Miko78

Re: Electrics failed - 10/25/18 09:54 AM

Good point the best way to solve the situation is to replace it with what was there if it worked that way for a long time.

Re: Electrics failed - 10/25/18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pabs
Its a 30' run in total and the lights are LED unfortunately I can't find what there current usage is.

If it is just LEDs you are more than adequate with 14 ga wire. Use marine grade tinned wire and run both the positive and negative leads.
Posted By: Rob Van Name

Re: Electrics failed - 11/03/18 11:35 PM

I had this fuse holder fail on Nordic Star also. Until it failed I never knew it was there.
Posted By: Blue J 503

Re: Electrics failed - 05/12/23 01:22 AM

I'm not getting power to my engine panel (type B). Battery is reading 12V, but at key switch (off), I'm only getting 0.16V, and zero with the switch on. No buzzer or warning lights. Could this be due to a bad fuse holder as described in prior posts? There appears to be power to my interior switch panel.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association