J/30 Class Association

Prop selection help

Posted By: nathankt79

Prop selection help - 01/14/19 01:20 PM

Good morning,

As many of you know, my fiance and I are new to sailing. We bought our J/30 with a foldable, two blade racing prop. Its a very nice one, but there are issues with control...especially in reverse. This makes for less confidence than we'd like in docking and navigating the marina.

Someone suggested to us that we switch the racing prop out for a fixed two or three blade until we get some experience in.

What are some good manufacturers out there for this? If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to get a good performing prop.

Thanks,

Nate

Re: Prop selection help - 01/14/19 01:57 PM

I'm also aware that the prop we currently have could be the OEM 2-blade folding Martec from 1984. Should I just look at upgrading the folding prop?
Posted By: usa1136

Re: Prop selection help - 01/15/19 01:39 AM

Here is a great article...https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/folding-and-feathering-propeller-test-29807

Personally I don‮t know if it is worth changing. The j30 maneuvers quite well under power compared to just about any other cruising boat that weigh more and have more full keels and a prop that is not centered. A new folding prop will Be very expensive and a fixed prop will give you a ton of drag. The trick, especially when backing up, is to get the boat moving and not go slow. Once you get flow over the keel and rudder, she is quite easy the maneuver in tight quarters in reverse. my understanding is that most 30‮s will pull to port when first moving in reverse, which means always turn clockwise. If you have a Martec two blade folding, if you decide to reprop, lmk if you want to sell the martec.
Posted By: Chris Edwards

Re: Prop selection help - 01/15/19 07:19 PM

I have had issue last year but after it was serviced no issues. There should be a gap between the blades when they are in the collapsed position, if there is no gap it needs new stop pads brazed.

Re: Prop selection help - 01/15/19 07:43 PM

Awesome! Thanks! I've been in contact with Gary at Martec who has been telling me the exact same thing. I think we're going to go that route because it does seem pretty wamped out. It's also $300 vs the high price of a new one.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association