J/30 Class Association

Rudder replacement

Posted By: j30sailor

Rudder replacement - 02/20/19 05:15 PM

I am a considering replacing the class rudder on Cool Change. Anyone have any experience with the class approved vendors. Would you recommend buying from the supplier you chose?

TIA

Rusty
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/21/19 03:16 PM

I bought a replacement rudder from Idasailor (Now Ruddercraft), one of the approved class sources in 2009 after storm damage to Rhapsody's rudder. I was very pleased with the entire process. It was packaged in paper and bubble wrap in a custom box and protected well for shipment. They provided stainless sleeves for the mounts to help isolate the core.

Suggestion - either buy a new set of pintles and gudgeons or take good location measurements for the brackets and tiller pivot and send them the rudder side parts so they can precisely drill the mounting holes.
Posted By: forbes

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/21/19 03:17 PM

I purchased mine from CCI in Ottawa Ontario Canada. They were really good to deal with and the rudder arrived in a wood crate. Never had an issue with it since installation although figuring out how to accurately drill your hardware holes is a challenge (hint: do not discard your old rudder and the foam shaped wedges from the crate. Also do not use a drill, use only a drill press). The exchange rate is pretty darn favourable (that's favorable in Canadian) so worth looking into so long as Trump isn't imposing tariffs on rudders.

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/22/19 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Glad there are still sources marking parts for this 40 year old boat that people are will to recommend doing business with.

Thanks for the comments on mounting the hardware on the new rudder. It will be really helpful when we get to that part of the project.

Rusty
Posted By: Chris Edwards

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/23/19 01:27 PM

Hello,

So i have been spending some time looking at replacing my rudder, I am a budget racer so I tend to trying to find cheaper ways to do things.

I have found a local CNC shop that is willing to supply me with a rudder blank - completely CNC rudder made from Douglas fir for around 1000 CAD. I will need to do the finishing work of sanding, laying glass, fairing.

If anyone else is interested let me know.

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/23/19 04:18 PM

Chris, thanks for the information. You might want to check with CCI http://www.fastcomposites.ca/ a class approved builder about getting a blank. Who knows what it would cost.

Rusty
Posted By: usa1136

Re: Rudder replacement - 02/25/19 05:43 PM

I have a rudder for sale if interested. It is the stock rudder off or hull 526 (1985). I see you are in VA. I am in Annapolis, so depending on interest, a short drive up would save $ on shipping. I used the rudder for a year with no issues. I had two and had my current one cut down the middle and brought to one design spec so this one is a working spare. Lmk if you are interested and what you would be willing to spend. Doug
© 2024 J/30 Class Association