J/30 Class Association

Engine starting question

Posted By: MikeM

Engine starting question - 02/25/19 04:52 PM

I have a '79 J30 with the original Yanmar engine.

I'm having a tough time starting it when it is cold. Once it runs, it's easy to start.

I just had it worked on because of this. He said the compression was a little low on one of the cylinders (a little above 280) and then one of the injectors needed to be rebuilt.

The bad injector was rebuilt and he said it was fixed. I went down there and had the same issue.

I called the shop back and they suggested maybe I'm starting it wrong. My boat is an hour away so I can't just go down there and try it out.

So, what is the proper way to use the panel on a cold start?

I have 2 pull knobs: The one on the left will pull and stay out, while the one on the right pulls out and will go back in when released. In the middle of those is the start button.

Posted By: last fling IV

Re: Engine starting question - 03/01/19 08:59 PM

Give me a phone cal. I had the problem when we lived in Seattle. I can give you a start to finding a kit that totally fixes the problem.
808-333-5068
Posted By: nathankt79

Re: Engine starting question - 03/03/19 05:30 PM

I'm curious about this as well. Mine starts pretty well unless she's cold...then she's just plain cold blooded. I'm not familiar with a correct starting procedure. Any thoughts? Also, what does the kit do?

Thanks,

Re: Engine starting question - 03/03/19 07:53 PM

It is a heating element for incoming air. Engine fires up immediately after 20 second warm-up.
Posted By: nathankt79

Re: Engine starting question - 03/05/19 03:06 PM

What make and model or manufacturer is the kit you're referencing?

Re: Engine starting question - 03/05/19 07:52 PM

It was built by a local machine shop and you will have to track down the current builder . Give me a call and I can get you started.
Posted By: Skipper Kenny

Re: Engine starting question - 04/01/19 06:43 PM

Here is the Yanmar operation manual. Page 40 talks about cold starting.

https://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/...2017_update_OM/YM/OM_YM_0AYMM-EN0025.pdf
© 2024 J/30 Class Association