J/30 Class Association

Second bilge hose?

Posted By: #511

Second bilge hose? - 12/16/19 01:48 AM

I've searched the forums and can't find mention of a second bilge hose. I have a second bilge hose on #511. But I'm not sure where it goes. I can't find the other end.
The center grey bilge hose drains into the aft bilge sump. I ran a snake about 5' aft before it stopped. This would be just under the steps.
[Linked Image]
I used a camera to inspect the engine pan sumps and don't see anything.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

Description: Aft bilge, #511
Attached File
IMG_20191215_172833962.jpg  (332 downloads)
Posted By: forbes

Re: Second bilge hose? - 12/16/19 04:15 PM

Sounds like a drain hose from the molded lip which holds the edge of the engine cover? I noticed mine had two small holes draining water into a void which eventually worked its way back to the bilge. My hull does not have as much fiberglass on the aft end of the bilge platform area like yours does (yours seems to be sealed on the aft end). I think my bilge is relatively open on as it heads aft under the floor. Perhaps they closed it up and added a drain pipe after they got into the 500's. Just a guess.

Re: Second bilge hose? - 12/16/19 05:26 PM

Ah, that could be it. My drain holes don't drain. Prob need to be cleaned.
Thanks.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Second bilge hose? - 12/17/19 04:34 PM

If you have a 2nd hose, it may address the problem others had draining aft of the steps. See this old thread - Dewatering Aft Bilge - Need Advice

Re: Second bilge hose? - 12/17/19 05:44 PM

Possible, if I can figure out the clogged water path and clear it. I had standing water in the cut outs under the engine mounts. And my weep holes in the stair cover lip don't drain. The area in front of the engine mounts appears to be solid. I'll check again.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association