J/30 Class Association

G Chart

Posted By: Gene A Trentham

G Chart - 04/28/20 06:08 PM

In search of the discontinued G chart for Lake Michigan, at least the southern half. Anybody?
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: G Chart - 04/28/20 10:42 PM

What is a "G Chart?"

Re: G Chart - 04/28/20 11:10 PM

My apologies for not being clear. A G Chart is from Garmin and is a navigational chart to be inserted into one of their GPS's. They are discontinued and have been for many years. I have the choice of going back to my old Garmin GPSMAP 215 that uses G Charts. They, I believe were replaced with BLUECHARTS in later models. The built in world chart will suffice for what I need but not nearly with the detail as with a chart card. I have a northern Lake Huron I would be able to exchange for the Lake Michigan chart or I will just pay someone for it.

Thank you, I hope I cleared that up
Posted By: --Ajax--

Re: G Chart - 04/30/20 03:03 PM

I'm sure you are watching eBay, something will probably pop up eventually with enough time. On a side note, do you have an alternate plotting system for navigation? I have an old Garmin running the Bluechart chip (bought used chip off eBay) but I would not rely on 20 year old charts as my primary source for navigation. Channels shift, buoys are moved, new hazards may now be present.

I use Navionics as my primary nav software. For a $15/yr subscription I can run this on multiple devices, including a Samsung Galaxy tablet that I bought for $50 and my phone as a secondary device. Granted I'm not doing longterm cruising so the need for a full chart plotter is not there. Sounds like you may be in the same boat smile

Re: G Chart - 04/30/20 07:58 PM

Thanks Ajax

You're right I'm not planning on long term cruising with this boat. Have dug out the GPSMAP 215, 3 shades of grey color and am installing it on my "day sailer". i will be sailing it from Chicago to NW Lower Michigan and wanted a detailed chart installed in it.

thanks again, still looking
© 2024 J/30 Class Association