J/30 Class Association

Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage

Posted By: Patrick Stinson

Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 05/25/20 06:27 PM

I am certainly getting the typical use of a boat model forum that a new owner enjoys...

I am trying to figure out how to remove my floor so I can have a look at and possibly the probably very nasty vermiculite and replace my broken bilge hose. Another goal is to clear a drainage from aft of the bilge (via the "hidden bilge"?), possibly by removing the vermiculite?

I have drilled out a bunch of bungs but don't see any screws. Also, it looks like the floor comes off of the fiberglass lip around the inside of the bilge in this model, though I have seen other photos here of the floor coming up and leaving no glass barrier around the bilge?

If you remove the vermiculite, is there anything supporting the floor in this model? Do you have to build and glass new stringers?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached File
IMG_1951.jpg  (546 downloads)
Attached File
IMG_1952.jpg  (540 downloads)
Attached File
IMG_1953.jpg  (563 downloads)
Attached File
IMG_1954.jpg  (524 downloads)

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 05/31/20 01:50 AM

I am also trying to figure out how to remove the floor in the head/v-berth area. Any ideas?
Posted By: John McGuinness

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 10/18/21 02:09 PM

Hi,
You seem to have water under your engine, as I do. Where does it drain to or how can I get it to drain into the bilges? I tried sucking out all areas with an oil suction pump and also rodding out any holes I see with wire but with no success. The water from the propeller shaft comes down to under the engine and stagnates there until it overflows into the cockpit, over the floor and into the bilge leaving a slippery mess on the floorboards. How can I fix this please?
Regards,
John

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 10/18/21 02:17 PM

Coincidentally, even though it isn’t the exact topic I actually have this exact same question. As far as I can tell the stuffing box is always going to drop a bit when under way (or is that incorrect?). If that is the case then the water is always going to end up in the cockpit. How is this supposed to work? I don’t want to drill a hole in the pan under the engine so it will drain because I want that pan to catch any oil or fuel that may leak.
Posted By: Daniel W

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 10/24/21 04:08 PM

I am a new J/30 owner and have the same issue. I will follow and do my research. I have other projects happening simultaneously, but I plan on dealing with the water under the engine pan area as well as my shaft seal.

Heading to the boat now.
Posted By: Rob Van Name

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 11/26/21 04:00 PM

An alternate approach might be to install a dripless shaft seal.

I removed the wood flooring around the base of the mast with chisel....my vee berth flooring is deteriorating too.
Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 12/05/21 07:35 PM

A couple of paper towels before each use or when putting the boat away seems to keep the engine compartment clean
Sometimes after a heavy rain or a rough passage i will use my oil suction pump to extract the excess water if too much for paper towels
Posted By: Cousineddy

Re: Removing early model floor to replace bilge hose improve drainage - 01/09/22 07:30 PM

Pour about a pint of acetone in the pan. May need multiple treatments, but it worked for me. Pan drains into the bilge again.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association