J/30 Class Association

How to re-bed hand rails?

Posted By: Kellen

How to re-bed hand rails? - 06/27/20 07:56 PM

Okay J/30 newbie question here. I’ve got rain water dripping down the interior ceiling handrails. Do the exterior rails thru-bolt into the interior rails? How do these things come off? It would be awesome if I didn’t have to remove the plugs on the interior rail because finding Ash plugs doesn’t seem like an easy task and I really don’t want to have to re varnish. Can it be done from just the top? Teak plugs are easy to find, and I think the exterior is just finished in teak oil.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: How to re-bed hand rails? - 06/27/20 10:19 PM

Kellen - they are through bolted with bungs covering top & bottom. I don't think you would be able to remove one side as the opposite end needs to be held to unscrew the nut.
Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Re: How to re-bed hand rails? - 06/29/20 04:50 PM

Take the plugs out of the top teak rails, under the plug there is a nut and washer to back off (I had no problem doing this).. Pull top rails off as well as inside rails. Drill oversize holes and fill with epoxy. Re-drill, holes for the screws that are coming out of inside rails - take your time to make sure you center the new holes in the epoxy. Re-bed top and inside
Posted By: Kellen

Re: How to re-bed hand rails? - 06/29/20 10:33 PM

Thanks for detailed info. Hopefully Russ is right and I don't have to remove the plugs on the interior rails.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: How to re-bed hand rails? - 07/01/20 03:43 AM

Mine were frozen when I had to remove the top rail so I had to remove upper and lower.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Re: How to re-bed hand rails? - 07/01/20 02:36 PM

If it turns out you have to pull the plugs out of the inside rails, I have some ash laying around as well as plug cutters. Just let me know the size of the plugs and how many
© 2024 J/30 Class Association