J/30 Class Association

direct toilet discharge to the outside

Posted By: Joao Brito CHILE

direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/07/22 05:46 AM

Hello everyone, I live in Santiago, Chile. I will try to express myself in English. I need a detail of the solution for direct discharge of water from the toilet to the outside. somebody could help me? Thanks a lot
Posted By: Georges

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/08/22 03:50 PM

Jao,

https://www.westmarine.com/west-advisor/Selecting-a-Sanitation-System.html might be a good start.

Raritan is a well known manifacturer of many marine toilet components with some technical article https://www.raritaneng.com/blog/

But mere google search (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+to+plumb+a+marine+holding+tank) will give you plenty of hints.

In the US, you need a holding tank (you can not discharge in the 3 miles coastal zone, and there is many additional limitations), but most boats (including mine) usually have a dual discharge - since it is common to sail much beyond this limit - especially with a nice cruising boat like the J/30.

The vented siphoned loop is likely the most single important aspect of the setup... no one want to sink through their heads ... .
cheers,
-- Georges

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/09/22 03:22 AM

Thank you very much George

I am in a lake where there are no gray water extraction services at the dock and it is a problem.
For this reason, I want to install a second point of direct discharge to the outside, with a valve so as not to eliminate the gray water tank.
The links you send me are very useful to have an idea of ​​how to do it. If you can send me a photo of the solution in the J30, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/11/22 06:50 PM

Hi Joao,
...a business opportunity maybe ... just kidding.

I feel - no confidence there - that there was no production installed wastetank on the J/30 - so if you are looking for some 'reference' and a good one at that, unsure.
Foot Loose (1984 vintage) has a professional installation but I see its imperfections - I am actually considering changing at least the tanks and the hoses (smell).
I like the flexibility that my Y-valve set up gives me and my pump works fine - so will retain those...
The key J/30 specifics possibly are:
* waste tank - small (~15 gallons or so?) on the bow under the V-berth. Its venting with holes in the hull under the rail.
* vented loop - behind the toilet - inside the vanity compartment along the hull - up to the rail. If the boat is really heeled down to the rail - that might be iffy - but then it is likely it is not for long period of time, and the venting will take care of this transition :-) modern installation would probably have it closer to the centerline, maybe...

It will try to get you picture of my set up - it might take a while though - but again - not sure what you will gain from it that you did not get from the link I shared...
Cheers,

Posted By: Rob Van Name

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/13/22 05:41 PM

My 1982 J/30 came with a holding tank and Y valve. The toilet discharge can either go over board or into the holding tank.

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/13/22 07:29 PM

Thank you Rob

When possible please send me some pictures of your "Y" discharge system.

It's winter here, and I'm a 2.5 hour drive from my sailboat

I am asking from the boat parking to send me photos for my system

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/19/22 08:26 PM

Joao,
I'll have to take some pictures. I'll be down at the boat next Friday.

Rob

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/20/22 03:27 AM

Thank you very much !! Rob

Here I send you photos of the installation I have, only with discharge to tank

Attached File
1.jpg  (25 downloads)
Attached File
2.jpg  (20 downloads)
Attached File
3.jpg  (16 downloads)
Attached File
4.jpg  (19 downloads)
Attached File
5.jpg  (20 downloads)

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/20/22 06:13 PM

Joao,
Here are photos of my setup.

Description: Close up of Y valve. Handle removed, set to fill holding tank
Attached File
y valve close up.JPG  (17 downloads)

Description: holding tank aft end
Attached File
holding tank aft end.JPG  (15 downloads)

Description: Holding tank drain hose
Attached File
holding tank drain hose.JPG  (21 downloads)

Description: Vented loop in anchor line locker
Attached File

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/20/22 06:14 PM

The Y valve left hose come from the toilet.

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/20/22 11:33 PM

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2012/july/installing-a-head

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/21/22 03:20 AM

Thank you very much Rod. Very good information.

Here in Chile we are coming out of winter, entering spring and I will launch my sailboat in a short time

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/23/22 12:21 AM

Joao,

See below two pics of my discharge, It is a dual discharge of course - the vented loop (left of the T valve) goes overboard. the straight output towards the bow (right on the picture) goes to the tank.

No big surprise - it matches most of the setup you can see on the web.
The key point for you is of course the vented loop, inside the cabinet.

The part I am not happy are related to the tank connection (pipe underneath - that gather the gunk and the smell - newer design goes the tank drain from the top - so there is no accumulation in the hoses going to the macerator pump...).
I did not take picture of the tank but you can see the hose going to it from the toilet and from it to the macerator in the 2nd pictures.
Even on a lake, and if you have no service - in might still make sense to go through a tank and a macerator... your call.
The tank is far on the bow mostly above the waterline even when heeled.

Attached File
IMG_0700.jpg  (25 downloads)
Attached File
IMG_0701.jpg  (19 downloads)

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 08/23/22 03:42 AM

Thank you very much Georges !!!

I'll take the time to do the job right

Best Regards
Posted By: John McGuinness

Re: direct toilet discharge to the outside - 02/28/23 05:38 PM

When the boat inspector saw my Y valve he freaked out and said he could report me because it allowed someone to flush the toilet into the lake. Once I calmed him down, he agreed that a zip-tie would be sufficient to stop someone using the valve and that would be fine.
Moral of the story, attach a zip-tie that locks the valve closed to outside if you are sailing inland lakes.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association