J/30 Class Association

Sail number colors

Posted By: usa1136

Sail number colors - 06/11/19 12:12 PM

I just noticed the class rules only allow certain color sail numbers. Seems odd that the rules would not simply state a "visibly contrasting color" to the sail. I happy to go with one of the allowed colors as to be frank, you can hardly see them blue or green on a 3di sail. I was about to order a black 3di sail with white numbers, but it appears the class doesn‮t allow white sail numbers? Is this correct?
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Sail number colors - 06/11/19 01:41 PM

Probably a good topic for discussion and possible rule change. When the rules were originally developed, only Dacron was allowed for jib and main. With the material restrictions lifted for the jib, the contrasting colors makes sense.
Posted By: LChristy

Re: Sail number colors - 06/12/19 02:18 PM

The rules committee has reviewed this issue and will temporarily allow the sail numbers and J30 logo to be any contrasting color. Size and placement to remain the same as listed in the J30 Class Rules. A rule change to reflect this will be proposed for consideration and approval at the next J30 Class meeting in September.

Larry Christy
J30 Class Measurer
Posted By: usa1136

Re: Sail number colors - 06/12/19 03:21 PM

Thanks Larry! I‮ll let North know.

When you have time, please confirm the question below on Dacron minimum mainsail weights as well. Thanks again- Doug
© 2024 J/30 Class Association