J/30 Class Association

Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay

Posted By: Michael L

Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay - 10/26/15 10:10 PM

Complete headstay with Harken Roller Furler, located in NJ.

I've no clue if it can be disassembled for shipping.

I enjoyed the convenience of it, but most of my sailing is racing now and all the other J/30s at my club sail with 163% genoas and Tuff Luffs.

Open to offers.

Re: Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay - 11/05/15 10:22 PM

I've had some interest in this, but it would require me to dismantle it (at least partially). Anyone any advice on how to do that? I'm presuming that the track is bonded with 3M 5200 which I'm told will release if heat is applied.

Anyone been through it?
Posted By: Conundrum

Re: Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay - 11/07/15 02:03 PM

The foil sections have sleeves to join the sections. Only the screws should be secured with Red Locktite. Not that hard to remove. You will need a new head stay since the one with the drum was shortened. The installation guide is probably available online. I didn't look though.

Re: Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay - 11/09/15 12:43 PM

Many thanks Don - much appreciated.

My goal is the sell the furler and headstay as a complete assembly (I have another headstay with a TuffLuff). My goal is to take apart enough to enable me to get it into my minivan to transport it. I'm hoping that all I need to do is remove a couple of sections to allow a bend in the headstay
Posted By: Cap'n Vic

Re: Harken Roller Furler - complete headstay - 11/12/15 05:00 PM

As I remember putting that rig together [twice] ... the headstay is completely separate from the foils ... so you can roll the forestay into a coil. That was one of the "improvements" in that model.

Then separate the roller foil into three lengths, by disconnecting in two spots. The foil pulls out of the drum. and as I remember you have a spare section of foil.

v
© 2024 J/30 Class Association