J/30 Class Association

WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement)

Posted By: Matt Arnold

WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/27/20 06:42 AM

One of the lower shrouds sprung a wire at the T Ball last season (see attached photo)

the specifications call for:
Lower Shrouds 17′ 2 3/4″ 1/4″ T Ball to Turnbuckle
but I was unable to source parts.

Is this something that is typically manufactured to order?
Given the critical nature of this part to structure/safety: Is there a preferred/trusted source that is commonly used?

appreciate the help/advice,
[Linked Image]
Sugar Plum, Hull #500, located in Portland, OR

Attached File
SP_lowerShroud_sprung.jpg  (405 downloads)
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/27/20 11:52 AM

Rigrite has them Navtec / Gibb T-Ball Swage Fittings - N741-7 - measure the wire diameter to make sure you get the correct dash number.

[Linked Image]

Other J/30 spar parts at this link.

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/27/20 07:19 PM

Thanks for that, Bill

to be clear: I am looking to purchase two new lower shroud assemblies with T-Ball, cable and turnbuckle built to spec.

(and I might just replace the uppers while I'm at it)

Just curious about what shops others have trusted to fabricate or source these.

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/27/20 07:28 PM

I would use a local rigger and have him get the parts. Anyone with a swage machine can make these. Provide the rigger the Rigrite link so parts may be purchased. That way the shrouds will be measured and built exactly to the length you have. The turnbuckles don't need to be Navtec since they are out of business. That way if a slightly longer or shorter turnbuckle is used, the rigger can compensate the wire length.
Posted By: last fling IV

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/27/20 09:46 PM

If you can't find someone closer, I used Andy Schwenk at Northwest rigging in Anacortes Wa. I replaced all shrouds and set the rig, then sailed to Hawaii. Rechecked tensions here,and they had not changed. Andy is a sailor and racer. email is "nwrig@cnw.com"
Posted By: Switchback

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 02/28/20 06:24 AM

There are a couple of rigging shops in Portland. I don't have any experience dealing with them but found them online. West Coast Sailing, Rigging Products Inc, and Schooner Creek Boatworks. Schooner Creek is well known and might be the first place to try.
Posted By: Koesh

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 03/04/20 05:03 PM

Hi Matt,
I have a J30 that I'm regrettably parting out. I have a complete boat with decent rigging. If you know someone looking for a J-30 as a project I'll make them a heckuva deal. 503 680-1914
Posted By: B Davis

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 07/17/20 11:06 PM

This same exact breakage just happened to me. One strand of lower shroud broken at the t ball.

#1 Did you do much sailing on it after the one strand broke?

#2 Can anyone recommend a temporary rig tune that will put less stress on the lowers? I don’t intend to go out in 15kts it more, or in swell. I’m also just running a 100% Jib this season. Would it be crazy to go out for a day sail before this is replaced?

Thanks for everyone’s input over the years on this forum. I’m in my first J30 season and appreciating all the collective knowledge.

-Blaine
Posted By: Jim Hoey

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 07/18/20 08:33 AM

Hi I would not risk it if one strand has broken you have no idea what condition the other strands are in.

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 07/18/20 02:59 PM

This is a pretty easy replacement since it's not too high up the mast. I wouldn't risk any sailing since a shroud failure at the spreader could lead to much more dangerous (and expensive) damage to the mast.

Be careful /stay clear when you loosen the damaged shroud for removal in case it springs since you'll be right under it (and I would replace both since you're going through the trouble)
Posted By: B Davis

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 07/19/20 04:10 PM

Much appreciated, thanks Jim and Matt!

In my own curiosity, and by being at home with spare time instead of being on the boat, I combed through my photos from the last month and I think I can find evidence that this strand has been broken for at least two weeks. Glad that it didn’t break further during last thursday’s weekly race 10kts puffing to 15. Lots of tension and backstay for our double-handed team.

Now I’m at the crossroads of replacing with the original spec stainless wire, or beginning the transition to Dux. One design isn’t a concern, but I’m sure there are some opinions out there on steel vs plastic!
I would rather be able to visually inspect my rigging and be able to replace it myself should something fail.

Re: WTB: Lower Shrouds (Replacement) - 07/19/20 04:17 PM

Stick with the 1 x 19 stainless steel wire. Proven, easy to get and good longevity.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association