J/30 Class Association

Northwest one-design

Posted By: gmo

Northwest one-design - 11/03/09 05:35 AM

If anyone I haven't talked to is interested in doing some Pacific Northwest J30 one-design racing in 2010, drop me a line. We're trying to coordinate all showing up to a few races around the area.
Posted By: NaturalHigh

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 12:56 AM

Hmm, this sounds fun. Meet in the middle somewhere?

Perhaps we could have a one design division at Swiftsure wink
Posted By: Koesh

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 03:43 AM

Unfortunately Koesh will be out getting a thorough "dry-out" and fresh bottom next summer & we'll be racing the Merit. The idea of a J-30 OD for Swiftsure sounds like a GAS, though!
Posted By: Gary

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 05:23 PM

There used to be a lot of one-design racing for the J30
in Seattle, and since that is where most of the boats were located, that's where we all collected. Cattle point to Shilshoe could be made in just under 8 hours if the tides were right. Most YC have a minimum number for a one-design start, so some politicking needs to be done to keep that number as low as possible. IFIYC the minimum number for the SYC was 7, and Shilshoe was 5.

I'd be doubtful on getting Royal Vic to allow one-design for Swiftsure, as they have enough problems with complaints about the PHRF ratings, and they don't want to be involved with one-design rules enforcement. It's always great to have a number of class boats race since you can then have the "race-within-a race". And that's where the real bragging starts.

I still own Grasshopper, since new in 1980, but like most, crew issues eventually reduce my racing to nil, beyond the local stuff. Once I get a good furler (Facnor?), I'll be all set to go single-handing.

Nice that there's a new group of active owners, but I probably won't be one. Good Luck.

Gary Boothman
Friday Harbor, WA

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 05:59 PM

Yeah, just having several J/30s out to Swiftsure would make it a lot more entertaining even without an official OD Div. I'll just pick you up on the way by Gary so you can crew smile
Posted By: JBro

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 07:23 PM

This is some great discussion. I will say that after my last swiftsure, on a Mumm 36, I swore I wouldn't do another on anything slower... Hmmmm. Gary's right WRT to the minimums. And, with an event like Swiftsure, I don't see many OD breaks happening. Now, that doesn't mean the J/30 sailors can keep their own score though, right? :-)

The better and more likely event to get a OD start that is more central to both US and CAN J/30 owners is Whidbey.

Re: some local events, a regional "season" might be cool. What about picking 5-6 events incl. PSSR, J-Fest, Whidbey, Waves (sorry CAN sailors - not sure which events are the hot weekend events these days in Van), PSSC, and Grand Prix and doing a low-point score tally? I realize I'm skipping over details but if this was ratified, with specifics about how scores would be calculated for both handicap and OD events, what do folks think?

Winner would get the PNW J/30 Annual Series trophy.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 07:59 PM

There's been some talk of putting an Anacortes or Bellingham race on the list. This would be a great chance to get together with you BCers. Orcas Island's Round the County might be another good option. I've heard it can really howl for this one.

Also, if we're talking about doing some series 1-design racing, we should put NOODs on the list.

Need to figure out how to get the Oregon folks involved, too.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/04/09 10:21 PM

Good point re: NOOD. Not sure how I missed that one...

I believe some of the folks in Oregon hinted a couple years back that if there were a series or a number of events with a couple in close proximity (in time), they might make the trek up to SEA.

I think possibly one or two of those J/30s have turned over though.

Also - I believe there were a few boats in Olympia. Maybe something south in say Tacoma or Gig Harbor?

One thing (aside from Swiftsure) missing are some distance events (i.e. Center Sound). Would it be reasonable to put one of those on the list?

- Jeff
Posted By: Patrick Peters

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/05/09 03:14 AM

I would love to take part but I've only been sailing for a season and have no race experience... I think I'd be better off as a crew member on someone elses boat.
Posted By: dlabrosse

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/06/09 04:13 AM

Right now with my small children its not fair for me to disappear for a while on the boat. I'd be happy to sail in events in Vancouver, but it is unlikely that I'd be able to travel with the boat. I know for sure that if we had five J30s registered and on the water for WAVES at RVYC we would at least be scored as a one-design fleet, and if we were lucky we'd get our own start.

The five boat policy has been in effect for a while at RVYC and has been in-play on and off with the dragon fleet for quite a while now. J-24s and Martin 242s are so popular that they get even their own race course Wednesday nights.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/06/09 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Peters
I would love to take part but I've only been sailing for a season and have no race experience... I think I'd be better off as a crew member on someone elses boat.

Nope, unacceptable, we'll need your boat. I started skippering races my first season sailing; the only way to learn to race is by racing wink

I probably still haven't even skippered 10 races yet.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/06/09 07:09 AM

Patrick,

I'm with Scott in encouraging you to come out and race. Racing is the fastest way for you to figure out your boat. Hot Rum at RVYC starts on Saturday. My boat will be on the start line looking for some company. First signal is at 11:00 am. Registration documents are here:
http://www.royalvan.com/racing_details.asp?ID=135

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/06/09 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dlabrosse
Right now with my small children its not fair for me to disappear for a while on the boat.

I hear you on that! That's my world right now as well. Even an hour to wash down the topsides feels like a "privilege". It's almost hilarious. My wife would probably opt for a spa day given the option. Me? I'd say, "I'll take a day to crawl around the boat please!" ;-)

I know for sure that if we had five J30s registered and on the water for WAVES at RVYC we would at least be scored as a one-design fleet, and if we were lucky we'd get our own start.

That's awesome. And, if I recall correctly, that's a very cool regatta. Great venue. I did a dinghy NAs up there at Jericho years ago that overlapped and we crashed the WAVES party. Good times!

Sounds like we should certainly add Vancouver, in the WAVES timeframe, to a season series list.
Posted By: Vampire

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 04:22 AM

Ok Time for me to step in here. I can't stay quiet any more. Blame Grady. I have tried for a couple of years to get the J30 croud off the dock. Me and Tony Brogan did almost all the big races last year north of Whitby. we even had 4 J30s in Swiftsure and 3 in SaltSpring and 4 in the N100. And that was a double handed race.
This year for 2010 Grady has tried to make a deal we go south and some of you come north.
Radiant Heat (Tony Brogan)
Vampire (Don Millie)

We always do round Patos. A 24h race on the last weekend in March from Sidney north sanich YC. This 70mile race has served J30s well. check out the results for the last 9 years. J30s are always on the podium. two years ago I was 3rd over all to a SC50 and Black out that stiped out racer. and that had winds to 43kn.

then comes Salt Spring. This is a fun race in mid may the weekend before swiftsure. this warm fun race around the island favors the slow boat and we kick but. Tony and I had a photo finish at 2am and a 60 mile race.

then after a relaxing cruise we mosy down to Victoria for a bit of action in Swiftsure. We had 4 J30s on the line. Natrual High and Lime light broke on the startline but Tony and I went on again to do a battle royal as we passed all but a few boats to the weather mark. then only to lose it all as we rolled the dice at race rocks but we were still the first J30 home.

N100 (northern Century 100mile race. Double handed) This is by far the best race going. and after 20 years of hard racing I would say that race is one to do. Anacortes YC has a real winner here. this race will rival swiftsure some day. they weather is better and its more challenging. we had 4 J30s in this with all but Celabration coming in within 10min of each other after a 100 mile race! Wow. And Celabration would have been there too but he had family issues.

So after all this who in the north and who in the south is ready to take on Vampire and Radiant Heat.

list your pain and we will bring our pleasure!

This year we are also looking at The Van Isle 360!
all these races will give us our own class with 5 boats.
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 01:36 PM

Don,

Being the voyeur watching this thread from the right coast, it's great to see the gauntlet thrown down for a challenge. Thanks for the enthusiasm and stirring the pot to get more J/30s out to race.

I'll up the challenge - get those boats on the line and have the victor represent the Pacific Northwest District at the J/30 North American championship next year (16-18 Sept 2011 - Annapolis, MD). The organizers can start early locating a loaner boat to support the PNW class if there is a commitment to attend.

ps - love your signature line....

Sail Fast!
Posted By: zeppo

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 06:09 PM

Keep up the pressure! 3 years ago we moved from Victoria and sold our boat which we had raced for many years, we had been boatless until August when we purchased #394 (Gracie). We had no plans to return to racing, but never say never. Part of our current dilemma is finding crew. We haven't met anyone in Honeymoon Bay (Lake Cowichan) that sails, and all our previous crew is in Victoria, one hour plus from here. Our only possible option is to sniff around the Maple Bay Yacht Club for unsuspecting victims.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 10:40 PM

Ok So Grady from the west coast Sling Shot has given me a challenge.
we go south for a race and they come north.

here are the races we are thinking of.

PSSR - spring - Seattle - cycseattle.org
J-Fest - summer - Seattle - http://www.yachtworld.com/sailnorthwest/sailnorthwest_0.html
PSSC - fall - Seattle - cycseattle.org

Then in the north we have

Patos Island race at Sidney north saanich YC. last weekend in March.
Round Saltspring. Canadian Long weekend in May. Saltspring sailing club. ( That's the weekend prior to the US long weekend)
Swiftsure. Royal Victoria YC. last weekend in May and the US long weekend.
Northern Century 100. Anacortes YC. last weekend in Aug
Rips regatta (like whitby only just over the border and cheaper) mid Aug.
and the always fun Southern straits race. from north Van YC
Ask Tony if he will do this again. he had to pull Clint out of the water in over 50kn winds. good fun.

OK so lets start talking.
I get allot of time off so IM in for Patos, Salt spring and swiftsure. and if we find a comon spot in the south like whitby or Jfest then I will head south to do that. And I am sure I can drag the codger Tony along with me as he never misses a chance to school me on the race course.

As well we are bringing a campaign to the Van Isle 360. but to do that race we are modifying the boat with an A sail and sprit. Dont freak we will have two ratings for the boat. ODR and Sprit.

Now my suggestion for the year is for the guys in the south to come up and do Saltspring and then take the week off and cruise the islands and we can have a J30 randevu in Roache or Friday Hb and then go over to Victoria and do Swiftsure as a class as well. So In one week you get 2 major races and a cruise. you only need the crews for the weekends
Then we go south for Jfest and some other race that lines up for a week event. or we make the J30 regatta happen some where like Shilshole. they have lots of dirty 30s.

Then we can crown a king and pat them on the ass and send them to Annapolis in the spring.

Ahhh Annapolis. I miss it just thinking of it.
Ok lets get some names down here.

I will be making a spread sheet of the races and the boats and we will get this sent out to every one to say where they think they will be.

last year we almost had our class at 3 major events, this year lets get our class and have a few extra boats to make it a real test.

And if you like my signature you would love what i have writen on the bottom of my boat. great place to put a message for your competition!

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 10:42 PM

have your tried Craigs list? you may be surprised. Where is the boat? you could race at Cow bay or Maple Bay.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/19/10 11:47 PM

No, haven't tried Craig's list, would prefer referrals. The boat is at Maple Bay marina, so Maple Bay regatta is right there, and Cow Bay is very close also.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 01:44 AM

ok you will have to do there vendee salt spring race then
its the weekend after Canada day. great race for Jack and Jill or just Jack!
Cindy and I dont miss it an Tony brings Radiant Heat. very good race.
the food is worth the entry fee
and as the race is split over two days its easy to do.

and you may be surprised with craigs list as this is where i found my J24 sailors and the realy helped get the boat going

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 02:56 AM

I dunno guys. The distance stuff is really not my bag and it's hard to get away from the family for a racing holiday in the summer.

I would entertain the idea of crewing for someone at J-Fest for now or maybe heading over for Maple Bay as suggested earlier in the thread.

Can I convince any of you to come to the WAVES weekend at RVYC?

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 05:17 AM

What is the date? and how many J30s go? It looks like its close to Jfest? and if you can't get away that kind of defeats the idea of some coming north to have boats go south as well.

Dominque you should come out to the races with the other J30s and leave RVYC behind. then you would not have the issues with all those cooked up PHRF boats in Div 3.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 09:12 AM

The 2011 WAVES dates have not yet been announced, but the 2010 dates were June 26-27, the week after Jfest. I doubt they would ever directly conflict. Too many J boats sailing in local fleets.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 09:20 AM

As for not racing at RVYC... well it's my club and the races generally start only a few hundred metres from my slip. To be honest it's about the only regular racing I can get to. I'm not about to bail on my own club.

Don, where are you sailing out of?

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 04:15 PM

I'd love to come out to some races next season. I'm moving my boat to Semiamhoo next spring, which races are the closest? I have young kids 4,5 and 8 so the long races are out of the question. Dominique how old are your kids? Do they come out with you?

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 04:22 PM

I did not mean leave your club. Just come out to some events so we can get a class and you stop getting axe murdered by boats like LRT that have rediculus ratings.
I sail out of Point Roberts this year till i have to move in the spring. I am the fleet Capt here. and same as you only 5 min to the race course and very inxpensive compared to RVYC. two j29s and me and a j35 in div one.

I even have boats up in your fleet. I am shure you know Frank and Joe on Jasmina. thats a PRYC boat and so is Gem the Farr 40.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 04:32 PM

Great we will at least have the spring too play.
IYC would be your weapon of choice in Blain. They are a Canadian Club but half the boats are BC/Washington.

I can email you there race schedual for 2011. Terry and I are now deciding dates for our BARC events. and I hope you take the time to come to point Roberts and race as well.

I do the spring and normally the fall series over in the bay, and then the three long distance races (20miles)

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 04:44 PM

where are you moving to in the spring?

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 04:54 PM

Patrick Why Semi and not Point Roberts? our racing program is more intense and we are closer and less expensive.

Where is the boat now?
have you raced her yet? if i leave in the spring to Vancouver island i may have some J30 junkie crew for you. the like beer and love winning.

http://www.pointrobertsracing.com

check us out

and for international YC in Blain.

http://www.iycbc.ca/

but PRYC is ten miles closer to the cruising grounds and the islands

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 05:00 PM

I am in the Canadian Military so my time in Vancouver is up. it could be Ottawa or Kingston or Trenton. but i am trying for Comox,Victoria and Richmond. I am a heavy duty diesel mechanic. and there are no Tanks here in Vancouver

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 07:30 PM

Semi is close for us, we live in Abbotsford so its only a 50 minute drive. Plus with the semi resort it makes it a good destination for the kids (they have a large pool)
Is there room in Pt Roberts?

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 08:00 PM

Ahh. I have a friend who owns a house in Mission and he uses PRYC because it is normaly eaisier to get to due to border waits. but if you have Nexus thats not an issue.

by to today or tommorow I will have our 2011 calendar up on our site. it will have every thing in the area.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/20/10 08:22 PM

For 30' boats there is almost always room. its the big boats that have issues. we pay just over $2000 anualy for morage and another $150 for the club and we get 20 boats out for the races and we have alot of cruises as well.

And as for the kids. bring them out. lots of people in the club have young kids.
And when we did the Vendee last year people had kids on board they just could not help sail the boat.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/21/10 04:07 PM

Patrick,

My sons are three and seven years old. The seven year old is great on the boat and really knows how to stay safe and out of trouble. He has the option of coming racing with his dad but has not expressed an interest, so I'm not going to push it. The three year old is still a handful on the boat as he has limited understanding of what could hurt him. So for the moment, the boys stay home when I go racing. We do bring the kids cruising though. My kids love being in the Gulf Islands.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/22/10 04:59 AM

I have my calendar up on my club site

http://www.pointrobertsracing.com/

it shows all the local events

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 01:31 AM

Google Maps for J30s in the Pacific NW

Ok Guys ever wondered where we all are? Here you go. If your not on here that's because you did not tell us the Marina or location of the boat. and if your boat is on land its because you did not say your club.
And the Red tags are boats I know that leave the dock. And yes Jim I know Celebration leaves the dock.

Now stop hiding and get out there.
Posted By: Derek Storm

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 02:11 AM

Well, that should get some responses.
Outlaw (#144) does leave the dock. Just two days ago, in fact.
Also, Perloo Society and Toucan Do it (#39 and #427) are on our same dock. Slingshot (#121) is on the next dock.
All but Outlaw are shown somewhat off location, but you got us just right (well a couple of docks off)

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 02:23 AM

I thought so. But as I said the red pins are boats " I know leave the dock" As I do not sail in Seattle I do not know the boats that are getting out or the ones that sit at the dock all the time.

Although I am starting to hear some of these names when I check into past years results as I search for some events to try and get a J30 class going. If you do see errors send me a private email and I will correct the map and hopefully it will show up on the page. I think this will help us though for the fleet.

In one way it tells me that the Class races will have to be some where near Seattle as that is the center of Mass for the fleet. Shame... That's a three day hump for us to get down there. but hey I was planning on cruising south this year.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 02:27 AM

oh you will see some pins staggered because if I put all the pins at Shilshole all you would see is one boat and every one would not realise how many of you are down there unless they zoomed right in.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 07:49 PM

Ok, so I am considering taking a bit of a breather from the racing next year as I felt a little overwhelmed last year. Tried to do too much my first season with next to no budget and a core crew not fully built yet. That said, if I am doing limited regattas next year, Class racing would take a priority.

My thoughts:
1. If we are choosing regattas to have a J/30 class, they should be around the cans racing. Distance racing is fun, but it does not see as much head to head racing and opporunities for camraderie and/or shenanigans. Personally speaking, it feels more satisfying when delivering long distances to get 5 or 6 races than to put all my eggs in one big basket.

2. Consider the prevailing wind strength of the regattas we choose. On our boats the fun factor goes up exponentially with the wind speed; the 30s love the breeze. Because we are very "relaxed" on the class rules out here, moderate winds will also be the great equalizer as "turbo'd" boats tend to be focussed on light air speed.

I know it is about maximum travel distance for most, but I am going to say it anyways, SOAR in Squamish is about the best conditions you can hope for if you are talking J/30. It would be a RARE day if we see less than 10 kts. While technically a distance race, I have enough swing to get us round the cans racing. You also get a downwind sprint race in, and a windward beat home. PITCH might also be a good option, or J/fest would probably see the most boats. Does J/fest conflict with the 360?

3. We should consider the party atmosphere of the regatta. I hate to say it, but most of the regatta's in Vancouver proper are pretty tame (some even lame). It is the city, so everyone leaves after dinner to go do thier own thing. I haven't been to WAVES, but I strongly suspect it is the same. Maple Bay, Cow Bay WIRW, RIPS, SOAR all have good parties I believe and I think it is related to thier location; i.e. nothing else to do but party at the regatta. I have a lot easier time getting crew to commit to travel if they know it is going to be non-stop excitement both on and off the water.

4. O/D rules: we are pretty lax out here and let's keep it that way, but if we know a boat is turbo'd to the point of serious advantage, let's get creative. Maybe the obviously fast boat carries all the extra beer.

5. I am liking the prize that Bill put forward. Overall winner from the two regattas combined scoring. Off chance of a tie is resolved by a match race.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/10 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear you want to take a step back Scott. You should be taking a step forward. But I too have bitten off more then I could chew at times and know what you me.

My program should be the same as last year except for the Van isle and I will have to take Grady up on the challenge of a Race in the south.

I agree with you that a true class event will have to be beer can racing. But If I can get 5 or more boats out to a race Like Salt spring or Swift sure and Patos I am going to take it. I hate being lumped in with Moore 24s and Olsen 30s.

So yes a full two day regatta at Whitby or Jfest is on the books. Not sure how I will get there as it should be right after the Van Isle but I have to try. There is also RIPS but it is generally lighter air and the center of mass of the boats is too the south.

My call would be Whitby. And then the races like the N100, Swift sure, Salt spring and Patos and that big race in south sound would all be for bragging rights in the fleet.

Sorry Scott but going north even to Vancouver is a bit unrealistic as you only one boat and every one would have to travel very far too you. You are right about the conditions. I love the YouTube video of you guys all shredding your kites. And yes I love to mop the floors with Olsen 30s when the wind pops up. So maybe the bigger winds of Whitby are what we want.

"Turbo'd" Boats? What's this? There is only one boat I know of that is a radical departure from the standard with his big sugar scoop stern and he never leaves the dock. As for my Sprit that will be removable for class racing. Unless you mean these little sport boats that I just want to drill holes in?

I am with you on the Party atmosphere as well. My crew had a great time at RIPS and we probably put the liquor store owner's kids through school this year with all the beer we drank. My Liver is still recovering. And no that does not explain our performance. But the party is a big draw. I would do RIPS again if we had our own fleet.

Hmm if I say I'm turbo'd can I carry all your beer Scott? Honest I will hold it for you. It may be processed and warm when you get it back though:)

So let's hear from the regional Gov on all this. Lay down some events that we want a class at and decide on a decisive event to make the call for top boat. Then if some one wants to be Cock of the walk then they will attend the event and challenge for it.

I'm going for top Distance racing J30! Any one care to take me on.
Tony don't say anything! I know your lurking.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/24/10 12:06 AM

I don't know of all the boats and thier set-ups and I wasn't going radical with the word "turbo'd". I just meant if there were minor changes outside class rules that would make an appreciable difference to performance. Examples might be a different rudder or balanced one, changed keel not following templates, code 6 or 7 mains, or masthead spinnakers. None of this might be out there so it might not be something to worry about. We aren't worried about sail materials, weights, changed stoves, etc.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/24/10 12:16 AM

By the way, I had hoped to be a top distance racing J/30, but I need to ease into it I think. My boat needs a lot of investment in sails, rigging and bottom work and I don't have the cash to do so at the moment. I rarely have a shortage of crew to go to races, but I haven't built the support behind the scenes on the boat prep, deliveries and maintenance yet. That is what burned me and my pocketbook out.

I do still have hopes for a VanIsle 260 and Pacific crossing with the J/30. The boys in the pac-cup this summer showed us how well it could be done.

Swiftsure was exhausting last year, but part of me wants to do it again because it beat me last year. N100 might be easier logistically (only one other cat to herd) and the delivery is close to the same.

I am sure by March I might have the itch again real bad.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/24/10 01:40 AM

Ok I had missed Friction Loss's results for that. Wow that is impressive. Good read too.

http://www.pacificcup.org/2010/final-standings

You could always throw in with another boat down near Vic and help them get out to some big races. Round the county is always up for crew. Tough to find crew that socially bent!

And as for none regular boats. I have no problem racing a J30 against a J30 with some being oversize kites and mains or even a different jib as long as they are rated for it. That is why if we do a fleet race we may need to have a phrf for some of the boats. I for one do not have the 163% as I am normally in good wind at Point Roberts so I run a 153% and a slightly small spin. This works well for me. But in a fleet I would suffer. Not that much though as Tony has all the big stuff and if I can pull in beside him in a 70 mile race and never bee more then 200 Yards away that tells me my sail choices are ok even for light air.
But I think we would have to draw a line at cretin modifications like rudders and Keels and even sprits. You would just not be comparing apples to apples any more. And your suspicion is correct there are some boats running non-legal rudders and Masthead kites and over roched mains and polished bottoms with modified keels. I keep track of my competitors and note the changes. If I thought that they were getting away with something I would notify PHRF NW or BC and challenge there rating. But I am also watching to see if they are onto something. And so far I have not seen a boat that just goes out and kills every one because they have the latest wiz bang thing or modified something. It always seems to be the best crew with the best skipper on a well-prepared boat that makes the right calls and no mistakes that walks away with the silver ware.
So I'm not too worried about the boats here.

Now as for the digging a hole in the water I agree with you in many ways. But we normally see 4-10kn breeze here in the NW during big race season and I am going to see how this works. Who knows I may be the first (first to have it looked at by Rodney Johnstone of Jboats) to put this sprit to work.

In the famous words of many people who have just had something very bad happen " Watch this!" laugh

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/24/10 01:45 AM

Hey Scott have I ever told you how much I hate beer can racing! I would rather do a 48hour race in the rain then do a regatta where I am going around marks 8 wide. But this is class racing and not every one likes the long leg stuff.
But my god this boat has beautiful legs and she really likes to stretch them out! wink

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/24/10 05:36 PM

Re: Boat changes.

I would much rather put aside the differences and race heads up. I am tired of racing corrected. I am likely one of the slow boats with 1981 sails too. I actually doubt the difference between a 153 and 163 would be that much different in round the cans. One lightly slow tack and any advantage and then some is lost.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/25/10 01:31 AM

No doubt you want to race with out ratings. With a rating of 136 and measurements of 6/7/6! it only benefits you. mean while guys with boats like mine that have the undersized stuff get axe murdered.
I think you must have measured your sails wrong.
take them to your sail maker and get that sorted out for 2011!
And new sails will also help.
But Man! 136 compared to my 145 is huge! that's 54sec an hour!

Scott you need to sort that out. shocked

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/25/10 07:01 AM

PHRF is not perfect. I would put money on there being little difference if we sailed our boats side by side. 136 was based on the code 6 main that is no longer. My rating will be 139. OD base rating is 138. If I were to only carry my 3/4 oz spin I think I would be 141.

I would be racing in true OD config so it is fair to race heads up OD. Not my fault if you choose to slow down :P

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/25/10 09:24 AM

I take that bet. lets put a beer on it Scott. And I Take that bet so you will come out to some races this year.
yes it is an imperfect system but it should be managed like any other part of a successful race program.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/25/10 05:17 PM

Correction: According to my certificate, if my 3/4 oz is class size I will be 6/6/5 and rate 139, 142 with old sail credit. Red Five rates the same.

I am ok with this. For PHRF, I will re-measure my 0.5 oz carefully this year to make sure that it isn't the same size ans should be Code 6 instead of a 7 that it shows now.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/26/10 12:25 AM

Yup, according to my rating certificate I am 6/6/5 and rate 142 with old sails credit. By the way, I leave the dock quite often. Ask Scott, he was out with me on Saturday.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/26/10 01:37 AM

Ah but do you sail at clubs other then Royal Van?
We will need to get some boats to all meet at a central spot if we want to get this class thing going.
I leave the dock every week at least once but no one is going to come down to PRYC.
Now just around the corner is Rips for all of us up here in Canada. we could potentially have 7 Canadian Boats at Rips next year. or even more if we got some US boats like Celebration and the Grasshopper and Stingo out.

Then we could have a Canadian Top Three
and with Whitby a Top Three US and Jfest a top three
then out of that a sail off. and the top boat gets the pat to go east. But that would be up to the regional gov.

then there is my coveted distance races.

I will try and put a race list together tonight. Then Get Grady to email it around and see who is intending to do what,
Posted By: Tony Brogan

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/26/10 01:12 PM

Yup, according to my rating certificate I am 6/6/5 and rate 142 with old sails credit. By the way, I leave the dock quite often. Ask Scott, he was out with me on Saturday.

Is there such a thing as an old sail credit--I do not think so any more than there is a new sail penalty
T

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/26/10 09:06 PM

Legend has it that PHRF B.C.which is a mainland sub-species of PHRF NW does give a rating break for old sails. What a kettle of fish that could be.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/27/10 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by zeppo
Legend has it that PHRF B.C.which is a mainland sub-species of PHRF NW does give a rating break for old sails. What a kettle of fish that could be.

PNW sailors - would someone who is updating their PHRF-NW rating please get the data we can post in the table on the J/30 PHRF page with info for ODR Spinnaker, ODR non-spinnaker, PHRF base rating with 155% Genoa, adjustments to PHRF base for 163% Genoa and addition of roller furling? It would also be good to know if ratings are adjusted for sails that are OD size, but not class legal (e.g. spinnaker lighter than 0.75oz, string sail main).

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/27/10 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by zeppo

Yup, 3 seconds. Red Five and I both rock it, although I think I should get a 10 second credit because my newest sail is 1981.

Yes, you read that right, 1981.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/27/10 11:43 PM

That "old sail" rating break is great until you wander out into the rest of the world where PHRF NW presides, then it's back to reality. i.e. any invitational regatta, VanIsle, Swiftsure, Patos etc.
Posted By: JoeBoB

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/30/10 03:23 AM

Don't forget the Anacortes 100 followed the next weekend by PITCH in Bellingham. BoB did those back-to-back last year and we had 4 double handed J30s in the 100 mile race, but only 2 in the PITCH regatta. Kinda scratches both itches for those long distance gut-it-out types and the less ruddy type that like the land under their feet at night. Toss those in for Grady to consider. Drag a couple of those Seattle boats North and out of the orange bouy racing. Maybe the Swiftsure race too? The Neah Bay one can be a bit of a challenge but doable if you get good a short tacking the shore line.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/30/10 07:18 PM

I am with you on that. I thought the race we had in the N100 was far better then swiftsure as we had some amazing racing. And the raft up at the start was fun.

Yes, Pitch and the N100 would be my call for races north. Then all of us up here already should do Saltspring and Swiftsure.

I gave Grady a spreadsheet of all the races north and south on it and who attended last year. Funny there were only ten J30s that did the majority of the away races last year.

If Grady does not get it up here soon I will try and put it up on Google docs and see if every one can let every one else know what they want to do for 2011.

In addition, as a side note I have changed the calendar to show the 10 boats that did those races.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/30/10 07:20 PM

Red Five watch out. I seen your competator the Olsen 30 out on Sunday playing with his new A sail. He is doing the same as me in checking out the A sail option. But I still passed him in a Catalina 22! haha. I was doing my instructor on the water test.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/02/10 03:46 AM

^Lithium?

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/04/10 04:41 AM

you got it.

They thought I was Red five when I said I had a J30.

So what races next year will be class races?

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/04/10 05:17 AM

Way to sych them out for me Don ;-). We race tomorrow morning.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/04/10 05:21 AM

good luck

some day I would love to race with you if you would have me.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/05/10 06:40 PM

Ok every one here is my list of events. As well there is a chance for us to get together for a beer at the Seattle boat show.
I would suggest the last weekend of the show as I am doing a scuba course prior to that.

we need to decide if we want the long or short course for Swiftsure and Patos.

I have also listed the boats that did these races before.
by getting this link you are supposed to be able to edit the spread sheet. just scroll right till you get to your boat and say if you are planning to attend or not or if your confirmed for an event. The boats are in order of hull numbers.

Then save it. This is the tricky bit. not sure how this works?
can any one help here?

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3...amp;sort=name&layout=list&num=50

So collectively lets pick our one design events for 2011
Posted By: R II

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/05/10 07:03 PM

I tried to bring up your link/spread sheet and received;

Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/05/10 07:20 PM

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3...amp;sort=name&layout=list&num=50

OK here it is again

maybe because I was editing?

if this fails i will just post here and people cans say where they are going? or some one better at this then me can figure it out.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/06/10 09:40 PM

Don,

When I follow the link, Google asks me to login-in, then it tells me:
"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available. Please check the address and try again."

Maybe there is a setting to make it a public Google docs document?

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/07/10 09:31 PM

OK I am trying to figure this out. if any one has any helpful advice on how to post this I am not proud. I am a better sailor then I am with computers

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/08/10 05:17 AM

ok I just made it public so any one can do anything to it.
try the link now

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/08/10 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vampire
try the link now

Congrats to Vampire who is now the official Pacific Northwest IT guru! Spreadsheet Link on Google Docs

Seriously - thanks for pulling this info together for your district to help get folks together.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/08/10 09:03 PM

Easy now. lets not get too excited. I am after all the guy who went around for half the year with a watch that was an hour out because I did not know how to set the daylight savings time.

Although I do have some cool sailing software on the boat that tells me when I should be sailing the boat faster.
A big gauge on the screen says "hey dummy your only sailing at 85% of potential boat speed for the current wind and course" OK it doesn't say that it just says "85% PS" But I know what that infernal machine is thinking.

Then there is the on line racing we do.
virtual skipper 5 is an awesome game and its free.
we race on line with clubs all over the world. When our club shuts down for the holidays those of us hard core cant get enough people go online and have regattas. You can host east or west. you can have a login so its just invited people.

we could have one design racing on line and have all of us west coast boats play there. then we challenge the guys every where else.

check out the teaser video

Virtual Skipper video

It is harder then you think. I use it to teach the rules to my new racers.
And it is very good for teaching the basics. and if your have them down you can realy capatalize on the good stuff.

best Part is its free!
Posted By: R II

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/09/10 03:53 PM

try the link now

I can both 'open' and 'download' the sheet but cannot figure out how to save the changes. I click on save and it does something, (probably just saving to temp internet folder), then when I open it again, the changes are not there. Nice sheet though, hope we can get it to work.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/09/10 04:07 PM

Any one know what I have to do to save?
I have now exausted my two cents on knowledge!

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/09/10 04:14 PM

Tony you wanted to know where the free Virtual skipper 5 site was.
Here it is. Just watch as you go through there site. They try to get you to buy the full version.
The only difrence is you cant make races. Your stuck with there standard races. And you have to wait when you login and watch there Add. And it gets slightly longer each time you login to a max of just under 5 min. After I confirmed that I liked it I bought the game.

VS5 Free
Posted By: bemusv2

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/12/10 10:06 PM

Easy now. lets not get too excited. I am after all the guy who went around for half the year with a watch that was an hour out because I did not know how to set the daylight savings time.

Although I do have some cool sailing software on the boat that tells me when I should be sailing the boat faster.
A big gauge on the screen says "hey dummy your only sailing at 85% of potential boat speed for the current wind and course" OK it doesn't say that it just says "85% PS" But I know what that infernal machine is thinking.

Then there is the on line racing we do.
virtual skipper 5 is an awesome game and its free.
we race on line with clubs all over the world. When our club shuts down for the holidays those of us hard core cant get enough people go online and have regattas. You can host east or west. you can have a login so its just invited people.

we could have one design racing on line and have all of us west coast boats play there. then we challenge the guys every where else.

check out the teaser video

Virtual Skipper video

It is harder then you think. I use it to teach the rules to my new racers.
And it is very good for teaching the basics. and if your have them down you can realy capatalize on the good stuff.

best Part is its free!

What do you race as on VSK? I'm always up to school fellow J/30 sailors.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/12/10 10:52 PM

I race under the name of "Vampire J30(Can)"

Says it all.
I used to be ok but I am very rusty now.
where do you play?
Send me an email when your on.
I should be racing tonight.
Posted By: bemusv2

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/13/10 12:16 AM

I race under the name of "Vampire J30(Can)"

Says it all.
I used to be ok but I am very rusty now.
where do you play?
Send me an email when your on.
I should be racing tonight.

My handle is "wbemus" and hopefully I'll be able to get on tonight. I'll play all servers in almost every boat though I prefer big ACC ones. Drop me a line when you're on, wbemus@gmail.com .

Edit: And to keep this relevant to the thread topic I will say that, as a detached right coast observer, it speaks volumes about the boats, the class and the people who sail them when a 30 year old One Design is able to still organize their own starts. There aren't many boats which can claim that.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/15/10 03:59 AM

Ok every one thank you for being patient with me.
I think I have finally cracked the problem with the event spread sheet. You will all be able to save your changes as per the button on the top right. the problem was that Internet Explorer was not playing nice. Google Chrome showed me the issue right away and converted the doc to a Google Doc???? what ever that is.
now it shows as a web page that you can save changes on no mater what browser you open it in.
when we get the regulars going on here lets get some of the boats that never come out to put down a race or two.

those of you in Seattle get ready to come north because some of us are coming south.

here is the link again.
J30 NW events

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/15/10 04:04 AM

Awsome you dont even have to hit save it saves when you hit enter

lets have a beer at the boat show in Jan and figure out what we want to do.

Grady chime in any time.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/16/10 06:29 PM

I was reluctant to create another goddamn internet account to view it. I will get to it though.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/16/10 07:13 PM

What are you on about? I made it so anyone with the link can edit. No login required.
What's the story with getting your bottom done.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/17/10 06:04 PM

The link you sent me in an email... it said I had to log in with my google account.

I am overdue for a hauling and now there is a leak through my cutless strut mount. I am going to dock in early spring and give it a total re-fresh including fairing (I doubt that has ever been done). Depending on expense, I am considering soda blasting the bottom. I will also pull the stick, and possibly paint the deck too.

I haven't heard from John. Has he been away?

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/17/10 10:22 PM

Try the link above.
And can you let me know what cost your into for that work. I have to do the same. You mentioned a rate to Damian for getting more then one boat.

And I told John to email you.

My Sprit modification is slowing down as my engeneer thinks its not worth it to just go up 1 foot. he wants to go to the tip and he says without major modifications I would snap the mast.

Bummer.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/18/10 12:16 AM

I editted and saved. Seemed to work.

I hadn't done any costing on Soda Blasting yet. I had just mentioned it in my email to John as he had said that there needs to be boat prep for CdM so I was just guessing he needed to do bottom work. Who is Damian?

After thinking about it, there probably wouldn't be much savings in doing two boats as they would still need to tent and clean up after each. Might save on travel costs though.

Since mine will be such a big job, I will probably do it at Race Rocks in West Van so it is close for driving back and forth.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/18/10 01:15 AM

OK where did you put your changes. It see's that you saved it but when I scroll right to Natural High there is nothing there?
you hit the save button on the top right?

J30 NW races

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/18/10 07:33 PM

I added Natural High to last year's Southern Straits (I was out there too) and I corrected some of your spelling :p

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/18/10 09:19 PM

Ahh thanks.
Forgot you were in that blender.

Need you to go back to the page and scroll right till you find your boat and put yourself down for all the races I am doing.
The boats are in order of hull numbers.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/03/11 03:10 AM

Well it has been very quiet here on the western front.
With Xmas come and gone now we are in to the time of year when we start booking the races for 2011. I have been confirmed with Tony for the Van Isle but unfortunately we are not taking our J30's. We have opted for a newer C&C 110 with a sprit. She is fast and comfy but I will still be wondering how I would have done on vampire

So what has every one else got planned for the new year. We need to pick the races we want our one design events at.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/04/11 09:54 PM

I was just coming here to wake you up Don! I never did hear back from John. I'll understand if CdM is full up already.

I'll have another look at the race list today. I'll try to get a crew meeting together for early January.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/04/11 10:17 PM

Had a poke at it. I will probably do either Swiftsure or Northern Century but not both. Leaning towards NC as it is less cat herding to be double handed and I hear it is one of the best races going.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 05:16 AM

I'm up for either NC or swiftsure. I was leaning towards swiftsure, since I could bring more people. I'm up for whatever'll have the biggest fleet.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 09:03 PM

Scott you should do both. And the same for you Grady.
I would think that Swiftsure is unfinished business for you Scott. And I really think that the N100 or Northern Century race is the best challenge going. It is an achievement to just finish the race. So do the Long course in Swiftsure this year with Radiant Heat and Vampire. Lime Light should be going as well. two more and we get a class. This year the current favors the long course. Then do the double handed N100 as it is easy to get this race together. Both races had 4 boats last year. N100 had great weather. Scott if you come down for Swiftsure then you should do the Round Saltspring the previous weekend. That is a great party and makes a good stop over to bring the boat down.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 09:06 PM

Just so you know why we would do the long course for swiftsure.
it is a pre requset for the van Isle 360. And I want a class of J30s in two years for this race. Now we have to find the regatta or distance race to do down in Seattle.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 09:14 PM

hey what can you tell me about Round Bowen.
Price?
Party?
weather?
is it a stop and go race with parking lots or is it a drag race?
and do they make opportunity for people who have to ferry the boat up and need to leave it there for the week prior to the race?

then go shake the tree for Red 5

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 09:16 PM

The regatta to do in Seattle is PSSR. That is our challenge to you guys.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/05/11 09:26 PM

would you say that over the Jfest or NOOD?
and cost and number of races done?
what is the party like?

not hard to see my priority's! hard to believe i make it to the finish line some times.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/06/11 03:40 AM

Just got BoB's race calendar together and looks like we'll miss Swiftsure again (saving up on kitchen passes) so we can do the AN 100 - double handed of course! - and PITCH. Great back-to-back combo with the gutsy 100 mile race in Anacortes followed by a really good 2-day bouy racing circuit and parties in Bellingham. Makes the 12 hour delivery trip worthwhile. We've put PSSR/PSSC/J-Fest on the calendar but odds are slim we'll make all three. For more Northern races...we're not quite up to shore landings in Canada yet!

I'll get to posting BoB's plans on the spreadsheet after I get a little more crew commitment.

Since I got new governor installed over the holidays, and our ice in the marina melted, we are able to start 2011 racing this Sunday in Everett.

Grady - still got that table? I still got $$ even with kids in college....

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/06/11 04:12 AM

hey what can you tell me about Round Bowen.
Price?
Party?
weather?
is it a stop and go race with parking lots or is it a drag race?
and do they make opportunity for people who have to ferry the boat up and need to leave it there for the week prior to the race?

then go shake the tree for Red 5

Price: $65.
Party: Outstanding!
Weather: Hot!

The trouble is there will be a few restarts. There will be light wind at some point around the island. It is about the party and the 120 boats in a single start (the start line is 1 mile long)

I am not sure about moorage, but there is a government dock there that could probably accommodate you for a week. If you book with enough notice, you should be able to get a slip.

It was definitely one of the best parties I went to last year.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/06/11 05:08 AM

Bob I would love to see you in some of our big races up here. You are very fast. We don't bite here in Canada. This of course while we lick our wounds after getting killed in the hockey game tonight.

And what is this ice you speak of? Ice?
Must be colder to the south?

Can't wait for the rematch at the N100. I know I stole that position from you last year.
You had sailed a better race up till that parking lot at the end.

And as for the Round Bowen. It is now on the radar. We will now see how this fits the calendar.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/06/11 05:50 AM

Ok what was I thinking. This is during the van isle! Will have to do it next year.
But it's only 31 miles to get there and it's a 18 mile race.
Numbers look good.
How do you not get Red Five out to this race?

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/06/11 07:21 PM

I just realized that it is during the 360 as well, so I may be out if I can get on a boat.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/07/11 02:11 AM

Don, I have done Round Bowen almost every year for a long time with the same crew... but not always on my boat. Last year I did it on a brand new Alerion 28. Hard to pass up the ride when it was offered. We were not the fastest last year but we were pretty to look at and Scott can attest that we kept in touch with Natural High for most of the beat.

I'll see if the owner of the Alerion and the group of friends that race together every year want to go back to Red-Five.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/07/11 05:14 PM

^ That's only because I was doing penalty turns. wink

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/10/11 07:23 AM

Sounds like a story.

So have you found a ride for van isle yet Scott?

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/11/11 06:45 AM

Nope.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/12/11 02:57 PM

try Gem a far 40.
They had asked me before John through a friend. Not sure if they filled yet.
but they wanted allot of money.

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/12/11 07:54 PM

Got any contact info?

Money is an issue. I am not too shook up if I don't find a ride because that brings me one step closer to a new main!! Woop woop!

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/13/11 08:33 PM

Regarding ice in the marinas... I added a picture of BoB patiently waiting in the ice for some single handed winter sailing (roller furler loaded). This is in Everett where we sail in salt water, but sleep in fresh water from the Snohomish River. As my Canadian crew memeber notes "we are 500 miles north of Toronto so we should get cold here!"

[Linked Image]

Attached File
PC123413.JPG  (97 downloads)

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/14/11 05:06 AM

That's funny. But it will keep the growth on the bottom down.

Scott stay tuned I feel an opportunity coming.

If all else fails post your availability on the race site

Re: Northwest one-design - 01/30/11 07:09 PM

Ok time to get out of our winter funk.
Let's start talking about this years racing programs.

We have the spread sheet for local races.

Who is in for Patos island?

So far we have
Radiant Heat
Lime light
Vampire

These three boats have each had a great run in this race as it favors our boats design
We kill the fleet on corrected and line honors.

This is the 30th anv of this race and Ken oak the race organizer is looking to make it a big one.

And for once the current is with us.

Any takers?
Lets go boats in Anacortes and maple bay. Your right next door and this is a great way to tune up.
Two more and we get our own class.

Speaking of class.
Grady I was talking to the owner of the Jboat dealership in Seattle at the boat show and he is willing to put up a perpetual trophy for the J30 fleet if we come do Jfest.

Sounds like you should give him a call and see what you can set up!

Now who is in for some drag racing in the North West!

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 05:21 AM

> Grady - still got that table? I still got $$ even with kids in college...

It's sitting in my garage with your name on it (I burned it in with my wood burning kit)! Hope I spelled "BoB" right.

I'm in for AN100, too, then. We'll make it a J30 major event. And may as well go ahead and do pitch, too.

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 05:24 AM

Hey Don.

Lets get it going. I think that PSSR is better racing, since it's spring and the wind is often better than the summer drift. It's also one of the biggest regetta's of the year, so more boats, bigger party, etc.

J-Fest is good too, and would probably be better cruising down and back.

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 05:48 AM

That is on the weekend of 9-10 April right?
hmm I would have to take the boat south on the Sunday of the 3rd. that will be cold. Ok let me look at this.
is there any where I can chuck the boat for a week?
I could ask Tony to sail it down?

Or hey Tony want to head south for a weekend?

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 05:55 AM

crap thats 85 miles one way!

Pitch is looking a whole lot better

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 06:31 AM

Hey Now! The deal is you guys come down here for a race, and we'll go up north for a race! Not we'll meet at pitch!

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 07:12 AM

Easy now.

Get me some info first before we get a twist in our nickers.

Where can I keep the boat for a week? Have I got the date right.

I would be giving up a double race day at my club ( remember I run the racing here!)
And then I have to round up my batty crew.

That distance will be a small hurtle though.

That's 14 hours of powering or 10 hours of good sailing.
You know I'm not retired yet!

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 07:44 AM

Aw, I should have put some smileys in there are something so my nickers didn't sound quite so twisty smile

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 01:46 PM

Good one!

Now give me a hand if I am to do this. It is a bit of an up hill battle as this is right between Easter and patos.

Kind of wish we had a trailer for the boat.

Ok I will try to get crew and I need those numbers ok.

And I will start twisting.

Sure we can't do a rebate latter in the year?

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/08/11 05:14 PM

So far I am planning on J-Fest. I am going to send out the schedule to my Crew this week. I am going lighter on the race schedule this year to allow more cruising and more racing on others boats:

Halibut Bank Race - May 7
Round Bowen Race - June 11
J-Fest - June 18-19
SOAR - August 5-7
N100 - August 26-28
*Pitch - September 3

* a possibility if I can find a weeks worth of moorage to keep the boat down after the N100

We also need more discussion around the racing. I don't want to hump 20 hours down to Seattle for PHRF racing as I can do that here. I am coming down for head to head class racing. I don't think we need to be anal about the class rules, but they should be relatively close to OD config. Don, maybe you can borrow a 163% and a bigger spin?

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/09/11 05:36 AM

N100 and pitch make the list this year.

not sure if the PSSR is there. I will have to take time off for this one i think.

who is in for Swiftsure?

we could try and get a class in the round shaw.
that is nice and central. and most are out cruising.
Posted By: Martin & Louise

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/24/11 10:30 PM

LimeLight will be doing Patos and Round Saltspring to chase Vampire and Radiant Heat around. Depends what you guys decide as to what we do afterwards.

Marty

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/25/11 01:37 AM

Sweet. Ok now who is in for patos and saltspring so we get our own class.
Saltspring is a great race.
Then it's on to the big game of swiftsure.
Unfortunatly I am maxing my calendar but still trying to get south to Seattle.

But the big area stuff looks like N100 and Pitch.
But just because Tony Me and Marty can't make it does not mean it's not class.

Grady step in here and lite a fire.

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/26/11 04:02 AM

Well, turns out I'm going to be out of the country for PSSR. It'll still be a good time, so that shouldn't stop you guys from coming down.

I was gonna suggest we make J-Fest the Seattle race, but looks like you guys aren't going to make that one either.

We could try and do PSSC, which is October 8&9.

I'm planning on coming up for N100 and Pitch, but probably only if you guys are gonna come down here for something. I'm in the same boat as you guys, in that I'll have to take off work to come up north.

Re: Northwest one-design - 02/28/11 09:45 PM

Let's plan for J-fest in 2012.

PSSC?

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/01/11 06:41 AM

Your on.
This race around the island has taped me this year.

Marty you would like me now.
I'm in wikiki
Posted By: Martin & Louise

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/02/11 12:35 AM

Well enjoy your time there. I check out the racing when I was there, they basicly race to Daimond head and back ever week as with the trades options are few. There were a few J 30 on the docks. Aloha, Marty

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 03:06 AM

Ok round salt spring registration is in full swing
Still looking for two boats to come out so we have our own class.

And swift sure is going to close early registration on the 9th.

These are the last big races for the summer up here before we head south for the northern century race and pitch.

Sorry I have not been at the helm here but racing and work have been insane.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 03:11 AM

Ok me and Grady will be doing a conference call to all the other regional governors very soon

If any of you have points you want raised please contact me or Grady
This is your time to be heard

And any one who wants to get the word out on an event please pipe up so we get some J's out.

Still licking my wounds after a butt wupping from two J29's this weekend in Blain
But hey still in the family

Cheers

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 05:03 PM

New Mainsail arrived Monday. Code 6. smile

Still planning on N100. Need to figure out who my partner in crime will be.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 05:18 PM

Ok now you in for saltspring and swiftsure?
I might be able to find you a skipper for n100

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 05:30 PM

I have a couple of guys in mind. Failing that my girlfriend might take the plunge.

I am on Rubato for Swiftsure warming up for the 360. No Saltspring: home reno weekend!

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/05/11 06:43 PM

Shame still need two for class.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/06/11 12:34 PM

Ok Grady and I as your regional reps have to vote on main sail material.

If your a hard core Dacron sailor that wants to stick to the class rules then let us know.

Or if your main is a modern material and you left the Dacron material behind let us know what it is and where did you get it.
The class may change depending on the vote to adopt modern materials as long as the weight of the sail does not drop below a certine amount. But we need to find that amount.

Here in the PNW we seem to be very progressive I think Natural High is the only one I have seen with Dacron and he is getting a new main now so that should be gone.

Vampire has a evolution Kevlar radian cut 2010
Personally I would never go back to Dacron it just does not last for the type of sailing I do. We must represent the area so take the time to speak up. We have only a few days before we must vote on your behalf.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/06/11 04:20 PM

Both Natural High and Red-Five have Dacron mains. Yes Scott's new main is Dacron. Personally, I'm against anything that makes the main more expensive. I understand that in this region I am probably in the minority but I am on the Dacron side of this debate.

Would I like a string sail? Sure. Do I want to pay for one? Nope.

Most lower mainland PHRF racers in our rating brackets use Dacron. Until I start sailing against Vampire and the Seattle crew, in my case the cost is not really justified.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/11/11 04:49 AM

I am indifferent. When I eventually need to replace this main, I will probably be able to afford a tech main. that will be at least 5 years or more so by that time I am sure this debate will have come around again :p

My new main is not class legal anyways (or at least it better not be, I ordered it BIG, so being dacron is moot.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/13/11 03:42 AM

Last Summer, BoB went with a radial cut dacron from North. We ended up having it mounted on slides so we can use it for racing and casual sailing. Pretty happy with it as it starts and stays much flatter than the old panel-cut dacrons and with our 3DL headsail, can pretty much out-point our competition. Put the money saved into a new spinnaker.

Our North Sails combo of 3DL headsail, radial cut main and new spinnaker got us a third in Round Whidbey race last weekend. A 72 rater and a J-80 beat us. Getting ready for the Northern Century double handed and I won't be following Slingshot....

Re: Northwest one-design - 08/05/11 05:40 AM

OK we are only a few weeks away from the N100.
so far we have three J-30's registered.

Vampire
Radiant Heat
Lime light

where is Celebration?
BOB?
Sling Shot
and Natural High.

Kevin is offering us a class if we all come out.

and then the following week is the Pitch Regatta. We could have a class there too.

We could crown the Top J30 there as this will be the last big set of races this year for us unless we do Round the County as a class.

lets hear it.

Re: Northwest one-design - 08/08/11 06:16 PM

The plan is to do N100 but there was a sudden wrench in the gears. It lands on the only week my better half has off this summer from remote projects so it takes a bite out of our only week of cruising together. This is causing some tension that I have not yet resolved.

Trying to work out a solution.

Re: Northwest one-design - 08/16/11 03:43 PM

Only 10 days to one of the best races of the summer.
The Northern century race is filling fast. This race is better then swiftsure.

Register now at the Anacortes yacht club site.

So far we only have 3 J30's. Last year we had 4?
You guys wanted to play well let's see who is the fastest.

As well I don't see any J30's registered for Pitch?
You don't get any more central to Vancouver/ Seattle then this

Re: Northwest one-design - 08/16/11 05:12 PM

I'll be talking to the boss and the crew about PITCH if we don't do N100.
Posted By: jocal505

J-30's for sale in the PNW, or anywhere - 09/25/11 11:23 PM

Hi everybody. Excuse me if I am going about this wrong, but I am looking for PNW J-30's for sale. Thinking of shorthanded cruising and local races. Thanks for the assistance. Joe

Re: J-30's for sale in the PNW, or anywhere - 09/26/11 02:02 AM

Joe:
I've been thinking of selling my J "Grasshopper". I'm the original owner of the boat. I live in Friday Harbor where the boat is moored. Give me a call 360 378-2459, or email at
gbooth@rockisland.com for more info.

Gary Boothman
Posted By: jocal505

Re: J-30's for sale in the PNW, or anywhere - 09/26/11 12:42 PM

Thanks for your response,Gary. My, "original owner".

Can you give me a rundown on "Grassshopper"?? Price, condition, electronics, specific area for maintenance, engine condition, sails,age of standing rigging, cushions,...uh foils, wetspots? Lines lines led aft?

I guess I'm a hacker and a wannabe keelboat racer but spent a decade competitive in 505's.
Hey, have local fleet observations or input? Have PNW fleet prez contact info? Joe

Re: J-30's for sale in the PNW, or anywhere - 09/29/11 12:50 AM

Joe: let's see if I can cover your questions with some information.

The hull is sound with no bubbles or delamination at all. I have about three small spots on the deck where the the outershell has been punctureed and needs repair, but there is no damage to the inside of the deck. The engine is very solid. Most of my sailing for the last 10 years or so has been in and around Friday Harbor, and there aren't many ways to put hours on the engine. The top end was removed, and inspected and found to be in excellent condition.

The fised windows in the hull need replaceing. I did them myself about 12 years ago, and it is an easy job.

The J30 comes with hailyards that are wire/rope. I replaced those with all rope. I dont think I ordered the top of the line material, for most of my racing is local.

Main is in good, not great shape. The #1 (genea) is also in good, not great shape. I have 3 spinnakers:? 1/2 qz, 3/4 oz and a 1oz (chicken chute with reduced shoulders). The #2 and #3 are shot. I use the #3 for single handing.

I've insstalled a Harken auto tacking traveler, 3-1 and 6-1 mainsheet, and hollow boom vang. If you're at all familliar with the J30, you know that it is almost over winched, both primary and seconday winches are two speed. There is a Raymarine tiller pilot.

I've changed the original alcohol stove to propane, and changed the Dickinson heater from Kerosene to propane. My installation of the propane tank would not meet the usual standards, as I just built a container for the tank and installed it in the hanging locker.

I have two workable compasses installed in the cockpit, and an extra sighting compass that is stored in the nav. area. I keep the Loran on the boat for backup since it provides Lat/Lon and COG and SOG. There is also a portable VHF radio. I had switched over to using a laptop with navigation software that connects to a GPS receiver.

The standing rigging is original, and on my list of things to renew. I was looking into installing a roller furler at the same time, but have done neither. The cushions are also original, but are in decent shape, adn would be at the end of my list of things to do.

If you've been to the J30 website there is all kind of good info and people there: http://j30.us/blog/. Most of the info in in the forums.

I think thats everything I can think of. I'm currently asking $12,000 for Grasshopper since I'm just not sailing it as much as it deserves.

Gary Boothman
360 378-2459 gbooth@rockisland.com

Re: J-30's for sale in the PNW, or anywhere - 03/15/12 04:08 PM

Vampire is always for sale for the right price.

She won saltspring

Has new sails
Two new 3dl and tape drive that I have not even taken out of the bag yet so new.

D4 heater
New butane stainless marine stove and tones of extras.
The boat is always at the top of the fleet.

Plus all here gear is constantly updated. Like all her lights are LED

And she looks cool with her grafics.

Don

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/15/12 04:10 PM

Ok we are comming up on the first big races of the year.

Looks like we may have 4 J30's doing patos
And we are already getting a large intrest in the new double handed swiftsure.

I know I will be doing that this inaugural year.

And one of the best races of the year for the party as always "round saltspring"
Remember a J30 won this race last year.

So let us know where your racing and we will try to have some good friends there to challenge you.

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/16/12 07:50 AM

We need one more J/30 for our own division in Patos. One of you Washingtonians should step up to the plate!

Don, what stove did you put in Vampire? I think mine is on its last legs.

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/24/12 07:17 AM

Hope you guys are having fun at Patos. Let me know what happens.

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/26/12 10:52 PM

J/30s dominated the fleet taking first through fifth in division with a pesky J/29 tossed in there in fourth place. Only Jesperson on his Ross 930 placed ahead of the J's in the overall.

One of us will do a write up for the class page. Big weekend for our boats.
Posted By: Tony Brogan

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/27/12 02:36 AM

I sent this off to my e-mail list so here it is for you too

Greetings to All

The 31st annual run of the Patos Island Race is now history.
The weather was beautiful.
sunny 10 c and a 5-15 knot breeze.
32 boats entered in Three races
Long course of 67 miles had 2 divisions.
Short course of 43 miles a single div and the 17 mile day race a single division.
We were in Div two with 3 more J-30s and a J-29.

The weather dictated a downwind spinnaker start and the reported 4-500 spectators on the piers and shoreline were treated to a grand spectacle of coloured sails in 3 separate starts spaced over 20 minutes with 10 minute intervals between starts.

The run down to Beaumont Shoals was terrific with a steady breeze and boat speeds over 8 knots at times. For all that we found ourselves near the back of the fleet at the turn. A well executed spinnaker takedown saw us quickly on a beat in 15-17 knots apparent wind. We found the boat going well with good speed and pointing well inside all the other boats as we began to get back into the fleet with a number now to lee and behind us. The fleet tacked up to us and we debated whether to stick to our plan of going to the San Juan island shore or to tack as well and consolidate gains by covering the fleet. We decided to stick to the plan.

The first hole swallowed us up as we got close to the shore and we came to a near stop while we watched the fleet sail away. Now we thought , that this is a good day out in the sun, so don't worry, enjoy! Three hours later we are second or third last in the fleet as we approach turn Point on Stuart Island but we could see Vampire in our sights and as we made the turn we were a minute back but not many other boats to be seen except those miles ahead half way to Patos and the two behind.

In Boundary pass we hit the tidal stream and and made good time. we to the left and Vampire, another J-30 skippered by good friend Don Millie, to the right.

The second hole appeared across the course and we slid to a halt but with a 2 knot current in our favour. It was there we met 4 other boats from the short course who had already made it around Patos and were on the way back. Vampire got the first breeze on the right and sailed away doing a horizon job on us as we bantered and chit chatted with the Crew of Gypsy Dream. Finamlly we got our breeze 40 minutes later and were were on our way. Still only 18.30 and ahead of schedule, with another 2 hours of daylight to go.

We had a quiet gentle spinnaker run along the backside of Patos with no other boat in sight. We did not know at the time but a number of our division were around the island ahead of us 2 miles in front. As we emerged from Patos to head home we saw the sails of the 2 boats behind just as the approached the island so they were now 2 miles back of us.

The wind now filled in nicely and we were still on a close reach or beat to the Saturna Island shore as we followed our plan. The current was still flooding against us now for another hour as darkness descended around us . It was a clear starlit night with the sliver of the brand new silver moon just descending in the West with the stars above. At times like this all other thoughts are removed and peace and tranquility reigns. It is good for the soul. As we progressed and approached the entrance to Plumper sound we noticed that there were more and more running lights showing around us. Could it be the fleet. The water was unruffled. The wind was a, unseen but felt on the cheek and back of the neck, a cool caress. The current was with us and we glided through the water at a knot or so with our speed over ground 2-3 knots. Now we passed a boat over there a quarter mile and those over to port we could see green lights and not stern. And on we went. We counted 15 sets of the running lights and we had passed most and crept on our way passed Bedwell trying to keep to the Southern Pender shore to mitigate the ebb current now against us.

Other boats were now moving and a couple of larger boats glided passed us. Could we make it down to Canoe Rock and around Moresby where the flashing yellow light of 3 in sequence followed by a pause beckoned. We tacked to head for the gap only to find we were being flushed down by the current to the wrong side. There were now 10-12 boats trying to make it around and they were spread from Moresby to Haro straits trying to find enough wind to make the passage. We tack back again and head out along the Pender shore some more and now another boat crept up and passed us and turned for Canoe Rock. We continued a while longer and now Canoe rock was abaft the beam, (I like that terminology!) We turned again for the passage and again we were being swept back. We continued to debate whether to continue but then we felt the wind. Imperceptibly the boat picked up speed. Our angle to the pass improved, and so it went as a slightly freshening breeze got us around the rock and the turn for home. Coal Island was the next mark with its flashing Green. We had passed a number of boats and in light air we raised the spinnaker again and on a close reach made good progress. We were now hearing boats call in to the committee as they passed coal Island. By golly we were not so far back now. We overtook another boat and it looked like another J-boat and indeed it was, as here was Vampire again. We finally made the Coal Island turn for home to the finish. We douse the spinnaker and with the Genoa set made for home on a close hauled course. Vampire behind a half minute. With a freshened breeze we were making better time and now 5- 6 knots. Vampire eased off and picked up speed and now overtook us. I knew he had a new headsail and I thought wow it is really making a difference. What I did not know and could not see was that they hoisted the kite again and flying it at 55-60 degrees was able to make the mark ahead of us by a minute. Well sailed to Don and crew. What I did not see was Natural High just ahead of Vampire. Congratulations on 1st in Div and 2nd overall.

Later at the clubhouse at 3 am Don told me that he heard people saying the J Boats would place well. I thought well I would at least be the middle of the pack. At 4.30 am I saw John Windas, fleet captain, post the results and what do you know Don was right.

Emma was first overall, a Ross 9.11 (30 footer), Natural High,J-30 was second, Vampire, J-30 was third, and Radiant Heat (that's us) was 4th over all on the long course. 5th was District 9 a J-29 and 6th overall was Limelight the final J-30. It was a good race for the J-Boats this year.

The second division was a Clean sweep for the J-30's being 1-3 as listed above. With RH a third.

Many thanks to a willing and cheerful crew, Paul, Barbel and Fred. All the hard work paid off, and it was a lovely outing however it was valued. It is a lovely part of the world and being fit enough and able to enjoy such an outing is a blessing.

Those of you that followed the link can see the progress of the race on the tracker and can get a map of the location and see the whole race as it progressed. You still can as the link will be saved and online to review. Here it is again. http://patos.swiftsure.org/

cheers

Tony

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/27/12 05:31 AM

Well done guys! Great to hear of the good J30 success.

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/30/12 06:06 PM

I have to say that was awesome!
What a thrill to come over the line three wide after 60 miles.

Scott on Natural high Did an amazing job. they were double handed!

So where were the other J30s?
if you look at the history of this race a J30 has almost never missed being on the podium.
The Patos Island race was made for J30s. and if you look at the results we were up against some very good boats.
Might have to make this a jfest race.

Re: Northwest one-design - 03/30/12 10:29 PM

Scott just to let you know that we are not normally that slow under power on Vampire.
we were trying to wait for the slow poke J29.

but your boat is looking great and very fast.

you asked me about the new stove. its a butane princess marine stove. I love it. cant say it saves much wight as I went crazy and put in a very heavy counter top.

Model 1203 Seward Princess
One Burner Built-in Butane Stove
Great Replacement of Alcohol
Compact Design
100% Safety Controls
High Heat Safety Shut-Off
Easy to Replace Gas Cartridges
Shown with optional removable Cutting Board
Folding Stainless Steel Lid
Overall size: 17-1/2W x 12-1/2D x 4-1/2H
Cut-out size: 16-3/4W x 11-3/4D x 4-1/4H
Shipping wt: 15 lbs
Posted By: last fling IV

Re: Northwest one-design - 06/15/12 02:18 AM

Are you still here. I am at Kona and racing isn't great. Heaviest boat in fleet and light air. However, No more wet and cold and fishing is fun as I improve my skills. Bob

Re: Northwest one-design - 06/18/12 04:32 PM

Light winds in Hawaii? I thought it was supposed to be windy there all the time!

I am doing the Vic-Maui this year (not on a J/30 though!).

Re: Northwest one-design - 06/18/12 05:33 PM

Ok so I am getting one design invitations.

Point Roberts yacht club has asked we bring a class to there classic.
They will give us our own start.

Salt spring sailing club has said the same for the round saltspring race and the Vendee. By the way Vampire won that race last year and took third this year. Who says we are slow in light air.

Then swiftsure wants us to bring a class.
We would have had four but work pulled me away.

I would like to thank Conrad J for participating and showing well.

Whitby and J fest obviously want us but as that's south of the border I will leave that to the reginal Gov in the US

And let's not forget that amazing race in March where Scott stole the show.

In round Patos we had 4 J30s again and we owned the podium for our class and took 2nd and 3rd over all. WD Scott. Did I say he was double handed!

Then we get to the next two races.

Vendee salt spring is great fun

Me and Tony go at it again but this is a good fun race for us to see the spouses and eat all we can. The admission bearly covers the amount of food we eat!

Then the best race of the year.
Keep your eyes on this one
It's a new race that will rival all others.

The Northern Century 100. Run by Anacortes yacht club on the 25 aug. it warm breezes and a big 100mile race around San Juan islands.
We normaly have 4 boats in the J30 fleet out and the race is growing. It's only in its fifth year I think and it's awesome.

Most challenging race I have done other the Van isle.
Double handed is the way to go.

Check it out.

See you on the water.

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/12/12 05:08 PM

It's that time of year again when we look at getting together.

As your district Gov I would like to try and gather every one up in one spot for an hour or two to try and make a one design event happen.

Everett seems to be the center of mass for the fleet but we don't get any one north from there?

The plan is to do a meeting on a Sat evening during the boat show in Seattle.
Most of us will go any way so if we coordinate this it could work well for an annual meeting.

I need suggestions from the Seattle crowd for a location close to the show but not to close that we can't get a private function due to th show.

We won't need long.
I just want to talk about distance races.
Whitby island race week
J fest.

And the board of governors meeting.

Then we should hold an election to see if you still want me to represent you?

Let's hear who is interested and some ideas for location.

And if there is any other business to discuss

Cheers
Your Gov
Vampire

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/21/12 04:17 PM

News from Everett, we went from five active racers to one: BoB. Two of the boats left the area (Circe-inland Canada; JayHawk- somewhere in Seattle), Garuda sold and has not left dock - something about engine troubles, Stellar J is into cruising mode. We still have Mystique, Sysigy, and Islandia, with Mystique sadly just gathering moss, but Sysigy and Islandia always out sailing but not racing. Makes it easy to be the fastest J-30 in our area - and if you just show up to enough club races you can hold on to the club championship for fourth year running!

Saw the Patos Island invite, and while inviting, I cannot swing it in 2013 - but will try for 2014 because it is a wonderful venue! In 2013 we will do 'Round Whidbey which is similar 70 mile race but later in the Spring. I plan on keeping the Anacortes NC100 on the must do list, but dang if moving kids to college keeps getting in the way. J-Fest? I'll give that consideration as I put together the 2103 race schedule. Other one we like is PITCH out of Bellingham the weekend after the NC100 race. Whidbey Island Race week - not for BoB - cannot even fathom asking for a weeklong kitchen pass....

If we do Swiftsure again, what course for the J-30s? I like the Neah Bay race, but being the slowest rater drops the fun factor when everyone is gone when you get back.

Re: Northwest one-design - 12/08/12 03:05 AM

Ok Joe since we have had no other intrest in a mass meeting I will go to a spam email then.

I like your idea of Pitch being the one design event.

It's half way.
Now could we drag that slug Natural High down and maybe Red five? And if you come down you might as well do the N100 the following weekend.

I am sure Tony would go if he could get crew
And same for me and Marty.

Round Whitney eh? Let me look at that.
And as for swiftsure. Well I like the short course but Tony likes the med.
But I will do which ever every one does.

I know there are more J-30's out here. I see them on the map.

Time to get theses boats off the dock people and have fun.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/27/13 01:45 PM

Well we have been quiet for too long.
work has been brutal.
I have to say well done to the two J30's that did the driftsure this year.
Conrad J finished with only a few hours left on the clock to finish. she won her class in the clalam bay race. Well done you deserve a medal just for sticking that out.
Sorry I missed it.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/27/13 01:50 PM

Also from the North west I must add that Vampire has been victorious again in round saltspring. we won our class by bearly 14 seconds after 43 miles. well sailed to Roger kibble on Electra and Paul on Exeat. Tony was not far behind on Radiant Heat the other J30. it was a great back and forth race and was anyones race right up to the end.
great food and great times with great friends. summeer camp for adults.

Re: Northwest one-design - 05/27/13 09:04 PM

I was on Red Heather and we were very disappointed to drop out 6 miles from the finish frown We were having one of our best results to date and were int he running for line honours after leaving Race Passage. Then things got sticky

Re: Northwest one-design - 11/23/15 04:32 PM

OK its that time.
Vampire is on the Hard looking for a new owner and its time for me to hand off the reins of the PNW governor to a new member in the Class. i have purchased a Privilege Catamaran in the Med and i need to move on to the next segment of sailing in my life.

so who in you is ready for this easy challenge of being the rep in the NW??

be brave be bold and Pop the chute. and remember it doesn't come down till god takes it down.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association