J/30 Class Association

Vote on Mainsail material

Posted By: Russ Atkinson

Vote on Mainsail material - 09/09/11 12:58 PM

Brendon/Don
Here's my input on my recommendation for voting on the proposed rule change to allow composite materials for the mainsail

I am strongly in favor of a change in the by-laws that would allowing composite materials for the mainsail.

However, I would recommend a vote of NO, if the rule also includes a bag weight of 30lbs. In my optinion, the proposed rule, as written, effectively eliminates any practical consideration of buying a composite main.
Posted By: Crusader586

Re: Vote on Mainsail material - 09/10/11 03:37 AM

Would love to hear from other Eastern Great Lakes Members\

Curently I have votes for 1 Yes and 4 NO

Post before Next Tuesday to be counted
Posted By: bmarting

Re: Vote on Mainsail material - 09/10/11 01:54 PM

I'd vote for the rule change. My understanding is 30 lbs will allow all but to most exotic (Cuben fiber) materials.
Posted By: Brett Langolf

Re: Vote on Mainsail material - 09/10/11 01:58 PM

Yes on composite materials
Posted By: Conundrum

Re: Vote on Mainsail material - 09/10/11 03:45 PM

Hi All
I would vote NO on the weight restriction of 30#.
My current woven Pentex main weighs 31# and I expect 10% less with a Mylar/Pentex laminated fabric with S Glass LPT Technology. An affordable tech sail. It may weigh less than 27# with 1 reef point. I prefer 2 reef points which may add some. I know many like 1 reef point.
Doyle Detroit can make me a sail that weighs 30# using extra tapes and at extra cost. I will not be doing that.
In the Great Lakes, Tech sails are prevalent and to be competitive in PHRF I will go that route. 1design does not exist for me but if NA's came to me I would participate but only if I could use my best sails.
I vote no as currently proposed. Tech sails are for improved performance at less weight. I DO want to include tech sails in our options.
Regards

© 2024 J/30 Class Association