J/30 Class Association

Race Seminar at Port Clinton YC 22 March 2014

Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Race Seminar at Port Clinton YC 22 March 2014 - 03/07/14 11:15 AM

I received the message below from Cliff Ruckstuhl, a J/29 owner in Ohio. This event is on the western end of Lake Erie.

Fellow Sailors:

I have set up a sailing seminar on Saturday March 22nd at 9 am at the Port Clinton Yacht Club. Greg Koski from Ullman Sails in Cleveland will put on a power point program on pre-regatta tactics and race course management. Over the winter Greg has been sailing with Dave Ullman (Ullman Sails) on a J 70 which finished 5th out of 60 boats at Key West Race Week. Last season he was 3rd out of 26 boats at the J 70's Great Lakes Championship, 1st out of 24 at Cleveland Race Week and he was the North Americans Champion in the J 22. This would also be an excellent opportunity for the Jr. Sailors to get some direction from someone sailing at such a high level. Being able to have Q & A session for the Jr. Sailors would be an invaluable experience. If you don't sail but want to learn more about it and the tactics of racing this would be a free and very informative experience.

If you don't race and just love sailing and cruising your boat this seminar would be very beneficial. Knowing which tack to be on and making the best Velocity Made Good (VMG) can put you to your favorite over night spot faster and could be the difference between getting a dock or mooring ball and anchoring out. If you're trying to out run some bad weather being on the right tack could be the difference between stuck in big waves and wind or sitting at the dock thinking I would not want to be out there.

Plan on bringing any sails you want looked at and evaluated for the upcoming season also. If your sails need some new tell tails, have a small tear or have some stitching that needs re-stitched, take this opportunity to have them fixed before that small tear turns into a major rip. If you're in need of a new sail now would be the perfect time to get some pricing and order a new sail for the upcoming season. Greg will load up the sails in need of repair, take them back to Cleveland, and have them repaired and back before the boats get wet.

Jim Miller is spearheading a "Crew Pool" this year. This is for those that don't own a boat but still want to sail and experience the excitement of sailing and/or being part of a crew sailing on a boat. If you have kids and they want to experience sailing this would be the perfect time to get them on a boat. Boat owners needing crew would pull from those in the Crew Pool. I would really like to see how many of the Jr. Sailors we can match up on the bigger boats. When they age out of Jr. Sailing and go off to college or enter the work force they may lose their opportunity to sail and being part of the Crew Pool keeps them on the water.

After the seminar, we will be having a simple lunch with Hot Dogs/Chili Dogs with all the fixings, Potato Salad, Chips and Cookies with all proceeds going to the Jr. Sailing program. I will have a signup sheet at the bar or send me a quick email so I know how many are planning on attending so we don't over prepare for lunch.

Attend the Jr. Sailor Fish Fry fund raiser on Friday night and then the sailing seminar on Saturday and you'll have an incredible double header weekend!

I know 9 am is kind of early but we have something in going on in the ball room in the afternoon to work around.

Thanks,
Cliff Ruckstuhl
cliffruckstuhl@att.net

Greg is currently racing on a number of boats around the U.S., including a J/70, a Melges 32, Farr 30 and an ongoing campaign in the J/22. When Greg isn't on the water sailing, he's based in Cleveland where he manages a network of three Ullman Sails lofts along the Great Lakes. He has been active in the sailmaking business for almost 25 years and has owned his own loft for almost 20 years. Greg can also be found on the golf course when his schedule allows.

- 2012 Tartan 10 National Championships - 4th Place
- 2012 Farr 30 National Championships - 4th Place
- 2012 Jet 14 National Championships - 3rd Place
- 2009 J/22 North American Championships - 1st Place
- 2008 J/22 World Championships - 3rd Place
- 2008 Mumm 30 World Championships - 4th Place
- 2010 Beneteau 40.7 Levels Regatta - 1st Place
- 2010 Farr 30 Great Lakes Championships - 3rd Place
- 2010 Farr 30 Annapolis NOOD Regatta - 3rd Place
- 2010 Jaguar Winter Series/Etchells - 5th Place
- 2009 Farr 30 Great Lakes Championships - 1st Place
- 2009 Beneteau 36.7 North American Championships - 4th Place
- 2008 Beneteau 36.7 North American Championships - 3rd Place
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: Race Seminar at Port Clinton YC 22 March 2014 - 03/07/14 06:15 PM

Small world that sailing is, through the Jet 14 connection, Greg worked with x-J/30 now J/105 Better Mousetrap in Annapolis and made several sails for both boats. I did a training day with him last spring and have hung out with him a couple times. He is quite a character and as noted above a very accomplished sailor.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association